The Sewing Place

Do you lose your nerve?

toileandtrouble

Do you lose your nerve?
« on: April 21, 2022, 05:45:22 AM »
Digging down, I came across some fabric I should have sewn last October. Long story. There are some lovely pieces there, but I bought it when I was in a good mood and now it looks too bold. Does anyone else lose their nerve to make things?  Today it feels as if it would be fancy dress.  What do you do when/if this happens?
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Cazlyn

Re: Do you lose your nerve?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2022, 07:26:00 AM »
Yes I definitely do.  It takes me a long time to start projects because I think I’m going to mess it up or it won’t fit/suit me.  Then when I’ve finished it I usually feel very self conscious when/if it wear it because I worry that it looks too hand made!  Prime example a top I made which actually looked quite nice, someone at work asked me if I’d made it, I immediately thought it was because it looked awful, and haven’t worn it since - what a waste!  #noconfidencehere
Crafting is my happy place

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2022, 09:39:27 AM »
Just measure twice, make sure all the pattern pieces are pinned onto the fabric and, if it matters, are the right way around and pattern matched, take a big breath and cut into it.

@Cazlyn if a colleague or someone else who knows that you sew asks if a garment is self made then it's a compliment.  They know you sew and are capable of making things just as good, and in many cases better, than they can buy from a shop.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Gernella

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2022, 09:45:26 AM »
Not fabric, other than buying it and then thinking I might make a mess because it's suede or  similar.  I do lose my nerve on patterns though, track them down, look where I can get it cheaper, buy it, buy the fabric (sometimes) and then have a complete rethink on the pattern and nothing gets done.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2022, 13:00:21 PM »
I don’t often go for anything too bold.  I know large prints are a no no as I’m only 5ft tall.  I can remember one or two fabrics I’ve bought and later on thought 'what the heck was I thinking it’s too bright'.  They have been used as linings in  bags or practice pieces. 

As far as patterns are concerned if I use one of my own I’m fine with it. If I adapt it to another style I’m usually ok with it.  Occasionally I’m not happy with the new type of sleeve etc.  but I’m happy enough to alter stuff as it will give me a new garment to wear.  Linen jacket I’ve just started messing with is a case in point.  It looked really nice and had a lovely band down the front which had been machine embroidered all the way round.  But I have a very short neck.  The band was far too wide and looked ridiculous.  It will get sorted!

Surest1tch

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2022, 21:36:37 PM »
I haven't lost my nerve so far but frequently loose my temper when I'm making stuff these days especially when I've forgotten how to do something I would have been able to do in my sleep once upon a time, does that count?

Ploshkin

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2022, 09:49:28 AM »
I never lose my nerve about the actual making but I might decide that the fabric won't look right or I would feel too conspicuous wearing it.  I think that is mainly because of having to buy online and not being able to see fabric in the flesh.
I have a lovely jersey, bought on a whim, it's green ( I don't wear green) and has woodpeckers on it.  What was I thinking!  I  will probably make a top for wearing at home - that includes popping into town.
Life's too short for ironing.

b15erk

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2022, 10:32:37 AM »
I didn't think I did, but then I started thinking about it, and I really do.  I will buy fabric with great confidence, but when I get it home, the doubts creep in, and I put it to one side while I have a think.

Some of my 'thinks' have lasted years, which = stash...

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Sara-S

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2022, 13:30:52 PM »
Not when it comes to bold fabrics; I love them! My bigger problem, in getting started, is a lack of ideas.
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

William

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2022, 21:42:58 PM »
I know it may be a little off topic, but i never get nervous before i sing, no matter how challenging the role - but after i get done...
...it was a Hobbit hole, and that meant comfort.