The Sewing Place

Overcast stitch is wrong way around.

Adey1981

Overcast stitch is wrong way around.
« on: April 21, 2022, 23:47:32 PM »
I assume I'm just being a noob here, but..

I have Frister and Rossmann Beaver 4 (Sold in US as Kenmore 158.1431...I believe)
It has a overcast-stretch function, but seems to be the wrong way around from what I'm seeing from other sources.

It's like this:
<|
<|
<|

Instead of like this:
|>
|>
|>

This means I have to have the bulk of the fabric to the right of the needle, and would make free arm sewing impossible with the overcast stitch.
What am I missing?

Thanks

StitchinTime

Re: Overcast stitch is wrong way around.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2022, 07:18:45 AM »
Great use of the keyboard to show the stitches!

I think the stitch you have shown is for blind hemming not an overcast stretch stitch. I’ll try to find a manual for your machine and see what is says about stitch options.

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2022, 08:09:52 AM »
Ill let @SiT  answer you properly as she probably knows the model of your SM ....

But just for your information on a lot of the Computerized machines there is a Mirror Image function which can flip the stitches for you.

I find this extremely useful for when I finish binding my quilts using a blanket stitch as ... instead of the whole bulk of the quilt to the right of the needle ie under the Harp space, the quilt is to the left and all that is running to the right of the needle is the binding .. looks good too.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

toileandtrouble

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2022, 08:11:29 AM »
Try sewingonline.co.uk for a free to view manual. You can also buy a printout from them.  It does show how to get an overcast stitch.  The advertising for an eBay sale said your machine is built to last more than one lifetime.  You won't wear it out!
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2022, 09:44:58 AM »
I've found a manual, and it would seem that it is meant to be that way round, with the stitch along the edge.  Have you tried it?

StitchinTime

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2022, 10:00:52 AM »
I've found an Ebay listing for a Beaver 4 which has clear photos of the stitch selector and the available stitches.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265367965825

The manual that @Bodgeitandscarper found is for the Beaver 5 machine which seems to have a different stitch selector and more stitches than the Beaver 4.

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2022, 10:01:06 AM »
I've found a manual, and it would seem that it is meant to be that way round, with the stitch along the edge.  Have you tried it?

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Try using number 3, the stretch overlock stitch.  It doesn't matter if your fabric isn't stretchy.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2022, 10:02:43 AM »

But just for your information on a lot of the Computerized machines there is a Mirror Image function which can flip the stitches for you.

I think this is a mechanical machine so won't have a mirror image function. 
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2022, 10:20:01 AM »
The manual does give settings for a stretchy overlock but you have to adjust some settings. Take a look at it on the website. Looking is free.

StitchinTime

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2022, 10:31:57 AM »
@toileandtrouble Do you have the link to view the free manual? I can only find a five page preview on the sewingonline.co.uk website.
https://www.sewingonline.co.uk/instructions/beaver4/Mymachine.html

toileandtrouble

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2022, 11:14:10 AM »
The link you had opens a page with the menu on the left. If you choose overcast stretch stitching, you get  a picture of that entry, which shows the setting needed.

StitchinTime

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2022, 11:28:25 AM »
Thank you @toileandtrouble - its obvious now you've explained it  :facepalm:

StitchinTime

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2022, 11:36:47 AM »
Now I know how to see the other pages in the manual, it does appear that the over cast stretch stitch is used with the bulk of the seam (and garment) to the right of the needle.

Adey1981

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2022, 11:41:29 AM »
Hi guys, thanks for all your input.
Luckily the machine came with its original manual. The machine is around 40 years old and is mechanical.
In the manual it does show the fabric being fed on the right. I just found it very weird that it would be that way.

I've noticed though, that the stretch-overlock stitch is on the same dial setting as the blind-hem stitch (stitch modifier dial alternates them). They have the same orientation, so I guess it's a mechanical limitation of the machine, like they share the same cam?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14MryuPy9wCSELK5k8mCZeV-MydFhzqmJ/view?usp=drivesdk

Edit - StitchenTime beat me to it.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2022, 11:44:45 AM by Adey1981 »

StitchinTime

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2022, 12:14:00 PM »
Perhaps it is a sign of the times and of what fabrics were more likely to be sewn at home 40 years ago. A blind-hem stitch might have been more useful and the stretch-overlock stitch was just a bonus use of the cam.

Other than the counter-intuitive way of sewing the stretch-overlock stitch, it looks to be a good solid machine and has the bonus of being able to adjust the presser foot pressure which is missing on many entry level modern machines.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2022, 12:21:03 PM by StitchinTime »