The Sewing Place

Bags for life

Celia

Bags for life
« on: April 22, 2022, 11:46:30 AM »
I have just seen this book and am a bit tempted, I have lots of odd patterns for bags but I quite like the concept of full size patterns and all together in a book has anyone else either seen or got this book.

https://www.stuarthillardmakes.com/store/Books-c58323173

I am looking for some projects to do that are not too big as I have quite a lot of smallish pieces of fabric

Acorn

Re: Bags for life
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2022, 12:21:23 PM »
It's on my Amazon wishlist!  I have seen Stuart demonstrating several of his bag patterns on Sewing Street - strangely, he has just finished showing (although not demonstrating making) one of them right now - and they seem to be well designed and straightforward to make.

You can 'look inside' it on Amazon (where the price is currently quite a bit lower) but what's available doesn't really show the projects.  The general information about what to use etc looks pretty good.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lowena

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2022, 12:55:44 PM »
I liked the look of that book @Celia  and @Acorn but when I looked closely it's waaayyy beyond my sewing capabilities :(
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Celia

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2022, 09:19:56 AM »
I have gone ahead and ordered it, it should arrive today so I will report back.

SewCanDad

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2022, 17:33:54 PM »
I have gone ahead and ordered it, it should arrive today so I will report back.

Eagerly awaits for the report  :thumb:

misschris

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2022, 01:04:04 AM »
Thank you! Another book for the library.

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2022, 09:05:06 AM »
I liked the look of that book @Celia  and @Acorn but when I looked closely it's waaayyy beyond my sewing capabilities :(

I very much doubt that, Lowena.
Having now finished sewn my first quilt (another is in the early stages of construction), there’s a huge amount of planning, measuring and general faffing with a quilt and I think a basic fabric bag is actually a much easier and quicker project.

Debbie Shore has some great books and YouTube tutorials for newbie bag makers.

You could always start with a basic grocery type shopping tote, if you fancied giving it a try?