The Sewing Place

Skirt Vogue 1703

Silver Rose

Skirt Vogue 1703
« on: April 23, 2022, 17:41:00 PM »
I cut out the skirt this afternoon, I used a cotton lawn that I bought ages ago and now don't really like  so this will be a wearable toile if it turns out OK.
Still learning

Silver Rose

Re: Skirt Vogue 1703
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2022, 18:50:11 PM »
I have just ordered from Minerva some purple wool and polyester crepe for this skirt if I like how the toile turns out.
Still learning

Silver Rose

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2022, 07:05:41 AM »
I have been slowly sewing this skirt and am constructing it differently from the instructions  I am not using an invisible zip. It is going  OK but I am not sure the style will suit me. Anyway, this is a toile and may be worn if I like it enough.  The purple wool crepe I ordered should be delivered today so it may or may not be for this skirt.

Silver Rose

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2022, 10:34:10 AM »
I struggled with the front yoke/waistband, I couldn't get the V shaped seam to match up without bunching up grrr.  Next time I'll sew each yoke piece onto the skirt first  then sew the centre front seam so I can match up the V seams more easily, methinks it was a good job to do a toile  :rolleyes:. The zip is pinned in the centre back so I might get round to that later.   The purple wool crepe is lovely and should suit this pattern.
Still learning

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2022, 10:38:08 AM »
I don't know about you but I always feel very proud of myself for making a toile when I realise how important it ended up being.  :thumb:
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Silver Rose

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2022, 11:46:42 AM »
Absolutely @Bumblebuncher , the only other toile I have made was for trousers which worked out perfectly.
The zip is in and side seams pinned ready for tacking and trying on for fit when I can ease my back pain. I've been sitting too long at the sewing table.   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
The cotton lawn is a bit too thin for this really and I don't like it much but you can't see the wonky sewing with the ditsy pattern  :D
« Last Edit: April 28, 2022, 11:49:31 AM by Silver Rose »
Still learning

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2022, 11:55:11 AM »
The skirt is a lovely floaty shape ... I like floaty  :D
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2022, 11:59:19 AM »
Ooh I like that!   But I can see that lawn would be too light.  A nice viscose would work as it would have a bit more weight to it. 

Silver Rose

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2022, 12:00:00 PM »
I just hope it floats over my slightly expanded hips  :P
Still learning

b15erk

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2022, 10:09:40 AM »
That is  such a lovely skirt @Silver Rose   <3

Your fabric is gorgeous!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Silver Rose

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2022, 10:41:11 AM »
Thank you Jessie, I've had this cotton lawn for ages and now I don't like it much so this will be a wearable toile I hope.  I'm not going to line this so I have cut waist facings instead. If I like the end result I intend to make the skirt in  purple wool crepe which I received on Wednesday.
Still learning

Silver Rose

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2022, 08:29:23 AM »
I've tried it on with side seams tacked and it fits and looks OK, the fit over the hips is good so it 'fits and flares' which is a style I like.

Silver Rose

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2022, 14:47:39 PM »
All finished except for the hem, I sat in the garden pinning it up and now the clouds have thickened up and it looks like rain.
Still learning

Cazlyn

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2022, 07:23:27 AM »
Love your skirt @Silver Rose  It looks really floaty and I love ditsy fabric.
Crafting is my happy place