The Sewing Place

the Perfect Blind Hem

Gernella

the Perfect Blind Hem
« on: April 25, 2022, 10:46:25 AM »
During my current alterations I've had to takea few hems out  first to get to the bottom of the seam.  Last week I did one that was not hand done, so the skirt was around 2008/9 - fabulous wool mix that I got from Favourite Fabrics. 

At first I couldn't remember how I'd done  it then  did remember.  It was with my old Newhome/Janome MC7000.  It was the thing I missed the most because the Pfaff's blind hemming foot is rubbish so I've done by hand since.  I even bought a cheap Janome for the stitch and discovered it was a different foot so sold it on.

This time I went to investigate exactly which machine had my perfect hemming foot on.

These are the machines:

https://coulingsewingmachines.co.uk/janome-blind-hem-foot-g-825817009-category-b-c/  :boohoo: :boohoo:

Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

SewRuthieSews

Re: the Perfect Blind Hem
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2022, 10:55:56 AM »
I have a foot like that for my old Janome Memory Craft 400 and my new Janome 4300QDC.
It does do a nice blind hem, I was showing my friend how to use it last week and she was impressed.

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2022, 11:01:20 AM »
So @Gernella  post a pic of this glorious hem then ....
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Gernella

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2022, 13:30:59 PM »
Sorry @Iminei all sewn up  again.  Your machine will do it though.  You just  shove the your fabric up to it (can't exactly remember how you adjust your fabric/hem)  it trots along for around 4 stitches then moves over and catches the hem and trots off to the next spot. Perfect.  I must have spent a few minutes looking at wondering  why I had stitching like that on the hem until the penny dropped.

I can never get the Pfaff  to do it like it so now sew hems by hand.
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Ellabella

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2022, 13:41:44 PM »
I’ve got a Janome  8900 and am very happy with the blind hem foot, it makes hemming a breeze.

It seems counter intuitive that you stitch inside the hem but it so easy.

I usually overlock the raw edge and then press up the hem.  Some people tell you to press the edge you are stitching in to but I find it better to just roll the fabric, this keeps the visible stitch much smaller.

I also use the foot for top stitching, the metal edge helps to keep things even.

Lowena

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2022, 14:36:55 PM »
Now I know why I have never hemmed anything in my life....it sounds terrifying  :scream:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2022, 16:27:42 PM »
I've never used a blind hem foot, just the regular one, and then select the blind hem stitch.

It's more to do with pinning the hem, turning it back and carefully re-pinning so that about 2mm of fabric is extending past the fold and sttitching carefully so that the stitches on the right go into that and evfery 5th stitch which swings to the  left catches the main part.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Gernella

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2022, 17:06:41 PM »
I have a foot like that for my old Janome Memory Craft 400 and my new Janome 4300QDC.
It does do a nice blind hem, I was showing my friend how to use it last week and she was impressed.

My juices are running @SewRuthieSews the ones I've seen on Janome have that daft useless screw.  This is not  quite the same as my old foot, which had a very distinct 'hole' for the needle to go.

I wonder how cheap I can go to get such a machine with a similar foot :thinking:

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2022, 18:56:39 PM »
Looks like I happen to have 2 out of the list of - JANOME FOOT CAT B Top loading machines (6.5mm - 7mm width - short shank) -  both came with the G foot

https://coulingsewingmachines.co.uk/janome-foot-category/

You might be able to find one of those older machines for sale second hand with the feet.  Or without and then buy the foot.
I've had the Janome machines for many years so didn't realise the foot was anything unusual.

P.S. I missed a zero. I have an old Janome MC4000 and my new Janome 4300QDC.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2022, 18:58:30 PM by SewRuthieSews »