The Sewing Place

Nightime Reading

b15erk

Nightime Reading
« on: April 14, 2022, 11:03:29 AM »
Couldn't sleep again last night, and I'd just finished my latest book, so what to read? 

Well, I came across this little gem Circular Knitting Workshop by Margaret Radcliffe, on my Kindle booklist.  I think it was a freebie, but I suspect it's just a sample, but I read it all the same...

It wasn't a bodice ripping best seller, but I did learn a few things, and I'll be going back to the places I've bookmarked to look again.

Any other recommendations?

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Missie

Re: Nightime Reading
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2022, 12:38:38 PM »
I generally have a couple of books on the go and am currently reading "Girl A" by Abigail Dean; really enjoying this one and "Girl Woman Other" by Bernardine Evaristo, also enjoying.

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2022, 13:31:06 PM »
Since the start of Lockdown I, I've been working my way through Charles Dickens' oeuvre in publication order.  Currently at Great Expectations so only a few more to go.  Because it's bedtime reading it can take months to work through the 800 pages most of them encompass, although I got through A Tale of Two Cities in a week or so during a visit to and from Scotland via train.

Dickens really did get paid by the yard, it seems, but some of his social commentary is still bang on the money.  Barnaby Rudge is set against the background of the Gordon Riots of the late C18th and reminded me of nothing more than the activities of Brexit rabble rousers.  Most of his books deal with the plight of the poor, which becomes even more germane with every passing day.  Spoiler alert: if you're young, sweet and self-sacrificing at the beginning of the book you have an 80% chance of being worm food by the end!

Lachica

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2022, 14:16:59 PM »
I decoded this as comments on the nightime economy of our nearest (nearly) city and expected arrests and accounts of attacks outside nightclubs. I haven't been there after dark since I collected DD & friends at 1am and was horrified by the armoured police vans lined up - and a copper took pity on me & said I was going beyond the call of duty turning up on taxi duty. My DDs haven't either. That must have been at least 17 years ago  :D
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.