The Sewing Place

Cardigans - Finished!

Acorn

Cardigans - Finished!
« on: April 25, 2022, 20:42:57 PM »
I have finished, washed and blocked the cardigans for the goddaughters.  I am a total convert to knitting all in one piece in the round, but I think I will stick to dpns for narrow sleeves!

I have knitted the size for 6 year olds (the girls are 3 and almost 5) because the size below was for a 4 year old.  Even then, I lengthened the sleeves after measuring something one of the girls had been wearing.  Better to have them turning the cuffs over for a while than only being able to wear them for a few months.

The top one has a shaped hem, but I really couldn't see the point, so the second one doesn't.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

« Last Edit: April 25, 2022, 20:44:41 PM by Acorn »
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ploshkin

Re: Cardigans - Finished!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2022, 22:18:41 PM »
Those are lovely Acorn.  I too am a big fan of seamless knitting.
Life's too short for ironing.

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2022, 22:56:09 PM »
Lovely cardigans - and I do like that you made the effort to make the stripes in the sleeves match.
 :perfect10:
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ouryve

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2022, 23:30:41 PM »
They are adorable.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Cazlyn

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2022, 07:29:29 AM »
Lovely cardies.
Crafting is my happy place

Silver Rose

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2022, 07:50:37 AM »
Lovely, such pretty colours.
Still learning

Diane

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2022, 08:09:41 AM »
@Acorn Lovely cute cardigans  :perfect10:
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Sheilago

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2022, 08:40:07 AM »
Well done @Acorn. They’re lovely. How long did it take you? I’ve knitted in the round for babies and fairisle jumpers, but haven’t come across a cardigan pattern like that for older children. I’ve only used multi coloured wool for socks and don’t bother matching them. Do you start with a new ball for both fronts and both sleeves?
I’m rushing to finish boleros just now for my granddaughters. We hadn’t thought about them needing cardigans for a wedding in May, but of course short sleeved dresses could be a bit chilly on their own here. Luckily boleros are short- it’s just the sleeves that take a while.

Acorn

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2022, 08:56:27 AM »
They probably took about 2 weeks each, but I usually only knit in the evenings.  The bodies are in the round, so there was no matching needed there (another big plus for knitting in the round), but I had to unwind the yarn until I got to the right part of the colour repeat when I reattached the yarn for each sleeve.  I wouldn't do the matching for socks - in fact I'd delight in them being the same colours but different!   ;)  Odd sleeves would have bothered me though, or having the back and front mismatched.

The first ball of the paler yarn had a knot after I'd knitted about three inches (of the pattern, not the yarn!), which is bad enough, but the colour wasn't correctly matched, so I had to unwind the ball and match it myself there too, which wasted a LOT of yarn.  I was a little worried that I wouldn't have enough to finish the cardigan - I ran out just into the second cuff, but was able to find enough of the right colour using the balls I'd made when matching up earlier. 

The pattern is the Juliette cardigan by Dani Sunshine on Ravelry and goes from 6 months to 10 years.  I was very pleased with it, although I changed some of the abbreviations so that they made more sense to me, and I didn't have to look them up every time. 
« Last Edit: April 26, 2022, 10:06:25 AM by Acorn »

b15erk

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2022, 10:04:28 AM »
Two lovely cardis @Acorn<3  Always useful in our summers.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2022, 12:00:05 PM »
They’re lovely!

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2022, 13:17:52 PM »
Gorgeous cardi’s.
Knitting isn’t something I’ve ever got to grips with so I’m always very impressed that others can knit and make beautiful garments, especially for children.

Celia

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2022, 14:01:13 PM »
They are beautiful are they knitted and then cut if so how was the front band attached as it looks like garter stitch.

Acorn

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2022, 14:06:29 PM »
Knitted all in one piece from the top down, so the garter stitch is just knitted as part of the whole.  No cutting, and no seams!

Celia

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2022, 15:40:04 PM »
Ooh clever off to look at the pattern, thank you