The Sewing Place

Hallowe'en skirt length

b15erk

Hallowe'en skirt length
« on: October 29, 2022, 13:33:57 PM »
I've almost finished this outfit for Lilya to wear for Hallowe'en, but I'm concerned about the skirt length.  This wouldn't normally be a problem, but, Lilya isn't available to be measured.

I altered a dress pattern, so the length isn't a true one, and because it has only FOE instead of a waistband, and a plain overlocked hem, it's measuring up at 86cms.  Now this is almost ankle length on me, so I'm just looking for a bit of advice about skirt length.  I'm thinking 74-5 cms sounds better (measured from amother pattern piece), but not convinced.

As it's just an overlocked hem, I can wait for replies... please!  :S

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

LeilaMay

Re: Hallowe'en skirt length
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2022, 13:57:31 PM »
Ask her mum how tall she is for starters?

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2022, 14:02:39 PM »
@LeilaMay , wish I could, but they are on their way back from holidays, so that isn't an option, and I don't want to be rushing to finishas we're going out of the door tomorrow.

It's completely my own fault, as I was at their house on Thursday, and could have measured a pair of trousers - but I forgot... I tried to get a measurement from trouser length online, but they only do inside leg... :rolleyes:

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Greybird

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2022, 14:17:01 PM »
Jessie we don't know how tall you are or how much shorter than you Lilya is.

LeilaMay

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2022, 14:27:21 PM »
Ah yes I see.
Following on from @Greybird - I'd make a stab at it by thinking how far up you did she come last time you hugged her? and then trying to work from there?

Or make the skirt with skirt-lifter ribbons on either side (not sure that's the right term?) (you know, a ribbon outside and a ribbon inside, so you can bunch up the fabric and tie it in a swoop kind-of thing?) so it can hoicked up at either side to take up the extra? Would that work with the pattern?

Kad

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2022, 14:29:28 PM »
@b15erk       How about if you took the inside leg length that you found online and add to that an estimate of 'seat depth' ie  as if  DGD were sitting on a hard chair, the measurement from waist to the top of chair seat. I'd tend to under estimate rather than be too generous as she won't want to be tripping over the skirt hem.
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Diane

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2022, 14:58:00 PM »
It's completely my own fault, as I was at their house on Thursday, and could have measured a pair of trousers - but I forgot... I tried to get a measurement from trouser length online, but they only do inside leg... :rolleyes:

Jessie

@b15erk This may be helpful? It quotes outside leg measurement according to age
https://www.swschoolwear.co.uk/size-guide/
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

b15erk

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2022, 15:26:15 PM »
Ladies, as always you are so helpful.  I like the idea of lifter ribbons @LeilaMay , and it would fit in with the theme, but, there is so much fabric in the skirt that I'm not sure how I'd work it out.

@Greybird , what a numpty - only essential information and I missed it out... :embarrassed: I'm about 5'5" and Lilya is a standard 140 cms, so I may try to work it out from there...

I'll have a look at that chart @Diane , it looks a useful one.

@Kad another good idea, as I do have a pair of shorts I can use to estimate crotch depth.

On I go, I am ready to put the snaps in now... I'll tackle the length last  :rolleyes:

Jessie

b15erk

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2022, 18:08:45 PM »
I'm done.  Still not too sure about the length, but according to the chart which @Diane attached, 86cms should be OK.  If it needs altering, I'll whip round it quickly with the O/Locker.

I decided to make it in two parts this time, and it was a bit easier to work with, with such a lot of fabric, especially as the bodice top is just made from bits of remnants.

The bodice top is some stretchy sparkly stuff, and the sleeves done in two parts to make the most of the bits of fabric.  The skirt was one of those lucky fabric moments.  I was in the fabric shop and saw this lovely fabric, perfect for the skirt, and I got twice as much as I needed for free, as there were a lot of flaws in it. I think I paid just £4 for it.

I couldn't find much Hallowe'en bling, so I bought a pack of small wooden decorations from the Works, and painted them with Sharpies and old nail varnish - the SR smelt toxic! I also bought a nice gold mini wand and hung it on a gold trim, to make the bodice look less plain.  I also stuck some of the motifs over the snaps on the bodice back.

I used my new snap press too, a bit of a learning curve, but it saved my wrists and worked a treat.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Jessie

sewmuchmore

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2022, 18:22:12 PM »
Loving the embellishments, where did you find them?
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

b15erk

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2022, 18:42:21 PM »
Thank you @sewmuchmore , they were from the Works, and were £2 for loads of small wooden motifs.  I coloured them with Sharpies, them blinged them up with old sparkly mail varnish.  Then I stuck them on a length of gold trim.  I thought it added a bit of colour to an otherwise very black outfit.

Jessie