The Sewing Place

Is there anything (constructive) I can do with this suit?

Andymat

Is there anything (constructive) I can do with this suit?
« on: April 26, 2022, 15:46:13 PM »
I have had this suit for ages and ages and it has hardly been used really. It is from the '80s I think as it is double breasted, has shoulder pads, and the trousers have turnips (I think I meant to write turn-ups. damned autocorrect  :angry:)  and waist pleats. We went to a wedding a couple of weeks ago and I was not allowed to wear it as it was so out of fashion!

Has anyone got any inspirational thoughts as to how I could modify it? Or is it just a matter of saving some of the material for the stash, sending it to the charity shop (is it ever going to be used in it's current state), or scraping it entirely?

Any thoughts would be welcome.

It is from Burtons and is 60% wool, 40% Polyester with viscose lining and says dry clean only.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: April 26, 2022, 15:50:06 PM by Andymat »

Lachica

Re: Is there anything (constructive) I can do with this suit?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2022, 15:51:43 PM »
Turnips in your trousers  :S sounds uncomfortable! Does the suit still fit? Do you like it? Turnips could be removed easily but I'm not sure the pleated front could be altered. I'd think the jacket would need an awful lot of work, probably not worth the effort.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2022, 16:59:51 PM »
I don’t think I’d  want to bother trying to alter the jacket.  It would probably involve taking out the lining to start any alterations.  The shoulders are probably very wide compared to today’s.     Changing the front from double breasted?   The general fit is probably larger than today's.  Changing the lapels and the break point I feel might leave a fair amount of creases already set in. 
You’d really have to know what you’re doing.  I don’t think it’s worth it. 

Kad

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2022, 17:18:53 PM »
Put it away a little longer - it's bound to come back on trend sooner or later, if the moths don't get it  0_0

Actually I'm impressed that it still fits - DH recently had to buy a new suit as his had shrunk in the wardrobe during the p**d*m*c  :laugh:
« Last Edit: April 26, 2022, 17:46:10 PM by Kad »
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2022, 17:34:54 PM »
Did you wear it with a Flock of Seagulls mullet ???

Id keep it and wait for (or host) a Back to the  Eighties party!!!!

I have a whole wardrobe of outfits I could wear too!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Tamnymore

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2022, 17:44:02 PM »
Turnips in the trousers sounds a bit Worzel Gummidge.

TBH I'd probably donate it to a charity shop .. although look at Joey D of Edinburgh's FB page for ideas about how to deconstruct traditional Harris Tweed jackets.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Andymat

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2022, 20:01:35 PM »
Turnips in your trousers  :S sounds uncomfortable! Does the suit still fit? Do you like it?

Yes it fits surprisingly! I quite like the material - a fine hounds tooth. I either need to make use of it or it's material or dispose of it somehow.

You’d really have to know what you’re doing.  I don’t think it’s worth it.

From what you say it doesn't sound easy at all and I'm pretty well unskilled when it comes to tailoring so I suspect you are right about whether it is worth it.

Did you wear it with a Flock of Seagulls mullet ???

Wish I'd had the courage at the time! Feels a bit more Spandau Ballet - more sophisticated.  :)

TBH I'd probably donate it to a charity shop .. although look at Joey D of Edinburgh's FB page for ideas about how to deconstruct traditional Harris Tweed jackets.

Probably will end up this way I suspect - the charity shop, not de-constructed!

Thanks for all your thoughts! Even Iminei's!  ;)

StitchinTime

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2022, 20:10:58 PM »
@Andymat There’s an article in Threads about making a woman’s suit from a men’s suit.
https://www.threadsmagazine.com/2020/11/13/mens-suit-repurposing-project-creating-a-1940s-womens-suit

You might be able to do something similar if you had a pattern for a man’s suit.

Andymat

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2022, 20:17:54 PM »
Thanks @StitchinTime  - that is fabulous. But I am now realising, a lot of work!!

Surest1tch

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2022, 20:32:07 PM »
The turn ups should be quite easy for you to remove however unless you have had more than a little bit of tailoring experience I would advise you not to try attempting to modernise it, you'll only get frustrated and probably loose heart and hopefully not loose your enthusiasm.   :grouphug:.

weary

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2022, 21:32:42 PM »
If you fancy a bit of experimentation maybe make a jump-suit if jacket is fairly close-fitting?

Rough steps:
Convert jacket to single-breasted (could simply cut-off the collar with square ends & possibly round the lower-outer corners to save moving/re-setting collar if you want).   Shorten jacket to appropriate point - allowing for joining seams!  Remove trouser turn-ups or  leave 'em as you prefer.  Join jacket to trousers.    Jacket pockets may not be in best location for this conversion, simply leave pocket-flaps as a 'feature' to save muckin' around.  Consider adding wider belt loops p'raps to take a thicker belt.  Choose some contrast buttons or 'alternative fastenings' maybe for the top half fastenings.

Phil

LeilaMay

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2022, 22:06:58 PM »
Seriously?I wouldn't dream of telling my OH he couldn't wear something if he wanted to and it still fitted - and do you really care?
Do blokes stand around at gatherings looking at other blokes suits? Not the ones I know.
If you like it and fits, wear it - please don't become part of the 'throw it away' culture.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2022, 22:38:09 PM »
Have you a local theatre group?  Their wardrobe might love it.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Andymat

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2022, 22:41:33 PM »
That is a thought!

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2022, 23:53:47 PM »
If you don't like it as it is then uses it  as a deconstruct/lesson.
Take it apart and see how it was made, see how the tailoring works and what was used in the construction to make the shape what it is.  Attempt to make the trousers and jacket what you would like them to be, if it doesn't work it is no  loss as you would not wear it anyway!
Try to make it what you want it to be, it will be a learning curve
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."