The Sewing Place

Hi from a complete newbie

RosyPosy

Hi from a complete newbie
« on: April 29, 2022, 15:24:06 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I have been reading posts on The Sewing Place for the last few weeks and thought it was about time I joined in.  I am a complete newbie, not only to this forum but also to sewing.  I started crocheting at the beginning of the first lockdown and then decided to move on to embroidery, cross-stitch and then saw some quilting on a TV channel and was fascinated by the colours and patterns.

I knew I had to have a go at quilting and started learning to use a sewing machine only last year.  My first experience had been at school (back in the dim and distant past) and it used to drive me to tears.  I couldn't even thread the machine!  I have now completed 7 patchwork squares (those flying geese have kept my unpicker busy  :boohoo:) and really love seeing them come together.  I am going to try QAYG when all squares are completed as I don't have space to sandwich a full quilt, let alone quilt it.

I am in awe of all of your experience and skill.  I'm hoping a bit of it will rub off on me

b15erk

Re: Hi from a complete newbie
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2022, 16:00:12 PM »
A big welome from me to TSP @RosyPosy !

Look forward to watching your progress!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Lachica

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2022, 16:04:36 PM »
Welcome! Lots of skilled quilty folks lurking in the Darkside will be around be around to offer advice. I don't quilt but am in awe of the skills involved in selecting colours & accurately stitching tiny pieces.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Lowena

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2022, 16:06:56 PM »
Hi @RosyPosy  and welcome from a founder member of the forum and a stalwart of The Darkside! ( patchwork and quilting board )
You will be made very welcome here and we love people who join in.
Please feel free to ask anything and please let us know what you are up to.....flying geese can be a real pain, so if you've mastered them, you're well on your way.
Triumph of hope over experience :D

RosyPosy

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2022, 16:15:52 PM »
Thank you all for the lovely welcome. 

I wouldn't use the word "mastered" but I've had a shot at them (not that I approve of shooting geese!).

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2022, 16:36:02 PM »
Hello and welcome from  non quilter who had the same kind of experience of school sewing classes. I hated the woman that  taught us as she made us tack everything before we could use the machine and the tacking needed to be perfect  :rolleyes: mine was never perfect so I spent an entire term tacking, unpicking, tacking, unpicking.  In the end I was doing it on purpose to annoy her!
Luckily I had previously been taught to use a machine and a pattern by my mother.  My darling Auntie Queen taught me crochet, other things I picked up along the way.
I am sure you will get some wonderful help from those in the know
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Silver Rose

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2022, 16:38:38 PM »
Hello @RosyPosy and welcome to TSP
Still learning

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2022, 16:55:21 PM »
Welcome @RosyPosy

Well done on teaching yourself some P&Q skills. I’m glad you enjoyed it (mostly).

BrendaP

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2022, 17:20:50 PM »
 Hello and welcome to TSP.  We all started somewhere - back in the mists of time. 

You will have realised by now that any stray self professed quilt police quickly get locked up in Acorn's shed in the depths of a large patch of brambles surrounded by stinging nettles, so your quilt can be whatever you want it to be, but bravo on choosing flying geese  and diagonal cuts for your first attempt.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Surest1tch

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2022, 17:39:42 PM »
Hi @RosyPosy welcome to TSP  :), we were all newbies at one point so you're in very good company. Whatever you want to ask, ask one of us will be able to answer or offer a solution for you  :thumb:.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2022, 18:15:06 PM »
Welcome @RosyPosy.  I didn’t enjoy needlework at school either.  My teacher had some bloody daft rules she stuck to.  I could never really see the point of many of them.  Fifty years on I make almost all my clothes and have as long as I can remember.  And  I always tell people there isn’t always a right way to do something but the way that is best for you. 

charley

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2022, 18:35:21 PM »
Hello and welcome from me too.

Tamnymore

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2022, 18:36:25 PM »
Welcome!
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Flobear

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2022, 20:03:20 PM »
Welcome @RosyPosy  Flying geese for your first blocks  :faints: Impressive.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Lilian

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2022, 20:21:51 PM »
Hi @RosyPosy welcome to TSP you will find lots of information, inspiration and ideas for P&Q  :)
Willing but not always able :)