The Sewing Place

Conundrum

Iminei

Conundrum
« on: May 01, 2022, 15:11:54 PM »
A while ago I bought a gorgeous William Morris by Sanderson Duvet set from TKMaxx, along with some classy Sanderson Sheets in Heather.

The packaging says Double but I have found that when I use it by the next morning theres a lot of flappy cover at the top of the bed with no duvet inside. This is the firat time this has ever happened to me and I began to suspect that maybe the cover was wrongly sized.

Today I measured it and discovered that the width (folded in half ) was 100 cms so spot on for a double size of 200cms

But the depth, top to bottom was only 97cms for a total size of whatever 97 x 2 is.

So smaller not bigger as I had expected but this doesnt solve the problem of why my duvet doesnt fill the cover by the end of the night ...

Any ideas peeps ???
« Last Edit: May 01, 2022, 15:16:22 PM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

Re: Conundrum
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2022, 15:42:11 PM »
My duvet cover is often like that in the morning. Sometimes if I wake in the night I have to fold the "flappy bit " over.
It's happened for years and with innumerable covers ?????
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ouryve

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2022, 16:08:25 PM »
Is it only with that cover? We had that problem with one. Turned out the actual duvet had shrunk in the wash!
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2022, 16:44:31 PM »
I get that too, it's so annoying!  It's better with the 10.5 tog duvet than the 4.5, and does it with both of our covers in current use.
No idea why, I've never had it happen in the past, but then I did always use the huge fat 13.5 down duvet all year round.  I think it's possibly to do with the fatness of the duvet?

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2022, 16:56:20 PM »
This happens with some of our duvet covers, it seems to be that the fabric is slippery so the duvet migrates during the night. I don't use those ones anymore but did think about adding ties inside to keep the duvet anchored.

Acorn

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2022, 17:17:47 PM »
My favourite duvet cover (Dorma) is very slightly shorter than our duvet (M&S) so there's a ridge across the centre when we first put it on, which usually works its way down to the foot after a few nights.

It would be very easy to shorten your duvet cover by however much is necessary.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2022, 18:33:32 PM by Acorn »
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2022, 18:24:30 PM »

... It would be very easy to shorten your duvet cover by however much is necessary.

The thing is though, the covers are the right size  :S

Acorn

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2022, 18:35:13 PM »
But unless you're going to change your duvet and don't want to risk the new one not fitting you might as well have them working together.

BTW  I've just edited my previous post because I meant to say that the cover is shorter than the duvet, so the ridge is duvet, not cover!

Flobear

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2022, 19:39:02 PM »
I had a cotton duvet cover that was too big for the duvet so I sewed it to the right size. Problem was I didn't wash it first  :facepalm: Came in handy for other things!
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Greybird

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2022, 22:57:50 PM »
Years ago, when I was working in Harrods, I bought a Christian Dior duvet set in the sale. It was about 14" longer than my standard duvet, and I believe the reason was that the top could be folded down to resemble a flat sheet folded down over a blanket. It was an absolute pain, as I didn't have a maid to arrange it in the manner intended. It was hardly ever used until a couple of years ago when I finally got round to shortening it to the right size.

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2022, 08:31:24 AM »
I have a couple of soft covers on my son’s bed that lose the Single bed size duvet inside them regularly. I just safety pin the duvet into the corners of the cover to keep it in place.

Iminei

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2022, 09:14:18 AM »
Thanks for all your inspired answers and whouldve thunk duvet covers could be such tricksy things.

Same duvet different covers ... different experience!  :facepalm:

I think I'm going with the quality of the fabric, which might change as its washed more. Obvs I washed before using it the first time but it might take a few more washes before it grips the duvet.

I like the idea of an extra flappy bit to resemble a double sheet ... how did you discover that @Greybird ??? I'd like to think you got straight on the phone to CD himself  :laughing: but as I discovered (and I did measure twic thrice!!! ) the length is actually a few cms shorter than the expected 200 cms!

@WildAtlanticWay ... when I started out on my long solo journey as a (presumed) adult I followed my mums method of pinning the duvet to the covers corners with safety pins but soon discovered the feather leakage was not worth it!

(WHY can I never find the smiley I want ???  :thinking: )

« Last Edit: May 02, 2022, 09:20:22 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Greybird

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2022, 09:28:18 AM »
@Iminei - I asked someone I knew who worked in the linen department! The reason it was so much of a pain was that there was nothing to stop the duvet working itself up into the extra part, meaning that every day, you or the maid had to get it back down into the bottom corners. It's still a pain to iron (not that I do it very carefully) because the top of the cover is bigger than the underneath - presumably so that it looks nice and puffy with no seam showing at the sides.

Acorn

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2022, 09:42:24 AM »
If they'd just put a line of stitching across where the duvet part ended and the 'sheet' part began they would have made it much more usable!  I still think I would have woken up frequently in the night with the flap trying to smother me though...

realale

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2022, 10:10:05 AM »
@Iminei - It's still a pain to iron
What is this strange activity you describe in regard to bed linen? :laughing:
So many beers, so little time.