The Sewing Place

Ollie Ella Soukie Backpack

justpottering

Ollie Ella Soukie Backpack
« on: July 17, 2022, 14:31:56 PM »
https://www.babipur.co.uk/sale-discounts/25-discount/ollie-ella-soukie-backpack.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6P_ljoKA-QIVDOh3Ch1-aAJQEAQYASABEgJmgvD_BwE

I have a beach bag that is this shape, when on hols recently DH asked can't I make it into a back pack type thing by putting different straps on it? this is because we take a lot of stuff to the beach and mine just has a shoulder strap. So I did a search, it took me ages to find an example, I have new fabric I can use and I do like the leather and buckles although probably more practical will be the woven straps with clips, so a question to you bag makers out there is what suppliers do you use for the like of straps and buckles or other fastening and do you think I could find this combination of straps another way?
Part of the reason for asking is that if I make a new bag, I might be limited in it's size by the straps I can buy. although if I choose the woven strap and clips option I could probably make it any size I want to, but I really like the look of leather (or fake leather if that's what it is.
Opinions and thoughts welcome
JP
Dressmaker - but first......tea

Kad

Re: Ollie Ella Soukie Backpack
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2022, 15:42:30 PM »
I use various including BobbinGirl.co.uk , Sewhot.co.uk and Pennine Outdoor - esp webbing straps. You can also find buckles, clips, rings etc on fleabay  for a lot less than the nicely packaged selection by Prym etc. Abakhan also sell this sort of stuff.
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Ellabella

Re: Ollie Ella Soukie Backpack
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2022, 16:52:18 PM »
As @Kad says ebay is your go to for all sorts of hard wear, also webbing, pleather or leather for straps. I love the look of leather straps, they really add a classy touch. I bought some recently but it will take some time to get a nice feel, at the moment it’s very stiff and new looking.

Another option often suggested is to reuse something like an old belt or straps off something else. That works for something like a tote bag but would be very difficult for the length of strapping you would need for the style you want.

I would go for webbing rather than PUL straps, the artificial stuff soon looks tatty.

As far as I can see you are only looking for buckles and triglides and some form of strapping. Why not give it a go with some webbing and the right hardwear, if your happy and comfortable with that you could upgrade to leather once you know exactly what length you need.