The Sewing Place

cotton bunching

dafyddcoch

cotton bunching
« on: January 21, 2023, 18:55:37 PM »
Ho Folks. As a male with 'farmer-hands, small machinery can be a challenge for my engineering skills as I'm used to fixing lorry engines, not sewing machines. I have a Jones C.B. Model D machine that was my mother-in-law's wedding present that I have now fitted to a Singer Treadle base. It works well and for my thus-far simple projects, is a wonderful machine or at least was until recently. I seem to be able to set it up correctly using the manual and it will sew well for a while and then for no reason that I can fathom, the cotton on the underneath of the job becomes badly bunched. I've tried adjusting the thread tensioner to no avail, although the numbers on it seem not to correspond to any tension in the cotton and accept it may well be a case of operator rather than machine error. However, I have used this machine previously with no problems and have several pairs of curtains and a running vest to show for it! lol

Any ideas?? I have tools like a 4-pound lump hammer and a massive adjustable spanner from my toolkit if I need tools!! (only joking, I have other tools a well).   

LeilaMay

Re: cotton bunching
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2023, 19:34:45 PM »
HI :)
When you say "cotton" you mean the thread I think? Not the underneath fabric?

Can be caused by incorrectly wound bobbin, using the wrong bobbin (should be metal and of the original type if you have it, different threads on top and bottom, bent or blunt needle, incorrectly threaded machine, incorrect tension on the bobbin.
Those are the first, and easiest fixes.

Do you have the manual? Can you find one online?

If correcting all that lot (start with the needle change and re-thread the upper machine) then there would be more collective head-scratching. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Leila

realale

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2023, 20:51:45 PM »
Usually if it bunches underneath it is a top thread problem so could be incorrect threading path, tension, needle... Take your pick  0_0 Try rethreading first, as that's an easy one to eliminate.
So many beers, so little time.

Ouryve

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2023, 21:41:59 PM »
Or threading with the presser foot down do your top thread isn't tensioned correctly.

Once you've eliminated the simple things, check your bobbin tension and threading and make sure there is nothing stuck anywhere it shouldn't be, above or below, like bits of thread or lint.

Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

dafyddcoch

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2023, 10:47:31 AM »
Thanks everyone. Great suggestions so I'll get the machine out and have another go and follow them. It'll not be anything much I don't think and  yes, I did mean the thread was bunching/bird nesting. Do I need to use spool caps with a vertical spool, or are they more for when the spools are paying out horizontally?

Ploshkin

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2023, 20:03:57 PM »
@dafyddcoch  I think I'm right in saying that crosswound reels ( which most modern threads are) should be used horizontally and straight wound reels should be used on a vertical pin.  I have a vintage singer and got a  thing that fits on the vertical pin that has a horizontal pin sticking out from it.
Life's too short for ironing.