The Sewing Place

My 1956 Singer 99k treadle sewing machine

WildAtlanticWay

Re: My 1956 Singer 99k treadle sewing machine
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2022, 19:31:21 PM »
Thank you for all your lovely comments.

I wasn’t really expecting anyone to be particularly interested in my acquisition so I’m chuffed that several of you have commented on my thread and given me further guidance and made me feel that buying it wasn’t a silly decision.

I’ve also received an incredibly thoughtful email from one TSP-er with lots of valuable tips and advice and I’m especially humbled given how otherwise occupied they are with stuff at the moment.  :hug:

I’ll keep you all posted on my progress.  :thumb:

charley

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2022, 20:06:49 PM »
I love your treadle and 99 @WildAtlanticWay, I have 2 treadles, a Singer 66 and a Vesta. Good luck, I am sure you will have lots of fun with it.

realale

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2022, 20:34:49 PM »
I have two treadles, one at the pub and one here. Sadly both need new belts but one day....... (pre apocalypse hopefully!!  :laughing:)
So many beers, so little time.

Surest1tch

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2022, 21:34:36 PM »
What a beautiful machine, it looks so like the one I started sewing on. Is that the original belt still on it?

SewCanDad

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2022, 21:43:14 PM »
Forgot to add that I learned to use sewing machines with a model 99-13 when I was 10 yr old. Looks like you have the 99-31 which I have one waiting to be put back into action. I also have a first model 99K with hand crank from 1922.

Look forward to seeing any updates and any work produced  :thumb:

b15erk

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2022, 10:01:18 AM »
Lovely machine @WildAtlanticWay !  I love the sound of a 99k, such a lovely relaxing sound.  I have one which I keep at work (amongst many others), but maybe I should think about bringing it home to give it a run...

I bought mine about 10/15 years ago - two machines for £25!  they hadn't got the key to open the lid so I had no idea what I was buying...

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2022, 10:53:58 AM »
@Surest1tch 

It might well be the original belt but there’s no known history… although, there was a business card inside the instruction booklet for a nearby B&B that’s less than 2 miles from where I live. According to my local friend, they’ve been there years so it might have belonged to them. I might give them a call and ask.

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2022, 11:09:58 AM »
Just for a laugh. Guess how much they’re asking for this machine..   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

b15erk

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2022, 12:52:22 PM »
I couldn't even guess @WildAtlanticWay:laughing:

The other machine I got with my BOGOF offer was a Black Cast Iron 201k!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2022, 13:20:36 PM »
That is a 201g, highly sought after so higher in price than a 99k.  Original electrics though but I have seen them for more than £100
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2022, 07:44:23 AM »
@Bumblebuncher
@b15erk

Yes, they are highly prized but have you seen them advertised for €550?

Yep, that’s what she’s got it up for.  :laughing:

As I said, they sometimes ask for silly money over here.  :rolleyes:

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2022, 07:55:18 AM »
I have two treadles, one at the pub and one here. Sadly both need new belts but one day....... (pre apocalypse hopefully!!  :laughing:)

I bought a pack of 2 leather belts via Amazon.
Sadly, I can’t buy direct from U.K. shops as few will post to Ireland now and they don’t want the faff of completing customs paperwork.  :(

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2022, 10:43:35 AM »
@WildAtlanticWay Well you got me there! Bad guesstimate  :laughing:
Laughable price.
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

MissEmmy

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2023, 19:32:56 PM »

OMG… do you really have a machine at the pub?  Do you sew there?  I’m so jealous!

There is a YouTube video by Fiddlybits… she is quilting on a handcrank in the cab of her combine while plowing… or planting.  I was so jealous of this, until thinking about sewing, treadling, company AND a pint!
MissEmmy from California

realale

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2023, 20:34:22 PM »
OMG… do you really have a machine at the pub?  Do you sew there?  I’m so jealous
We had several machines in the pub however we retired in August and no longer have the pub so the machines went to a charity that refurbish them and send them to Africa. I still have one treadle at home though  :)
So many beers, so little time.