The Sewing Place

Re: Jetted Welt Pocket with Flap...

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2022, 23:33:38 PM »
I know this  :D (feeling proud here) and that is a lovely neat job on all of them. I have done welts and bound buttonholes and they have never been that neat, but then everyone here is neater than me lol
Never heard of jetted though!
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

b15erk

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2022, 08:10:48 AM »
Thank you ladies.  I've decided that today is the day, no point doint more practise runs.  I've read tips and tutorials until my eyes were sore, consulted all my books, and now, I believe I have a technique that works for me.

I have decided to use prepared welts, as they can be done in advance, and don't need jiggling into position.  I'll just have to check and double check my pocket positions - I don't want wonky pockets!  :rolleyes:

I will also be using iron on interfacing, which I didn't use on my samples.  I think it will be needed to support the finished weight, and to make it look neater.

Any other tips before I go in?  ;)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2022, 08:24:45 AM »
@b15erk I am very impressed with quilting tape for holding things that Must Not Move. 
I have used it on buttons, pattern matching a join, and when I make my next welt pockets I will try it there myself. I didn't believe it would wash away, but it does.  Is the jacket washable?
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

b15erk

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2022, 08:54:56 AM »
@toileandtrouble , thank you for reminding me about quilting tape!  :thumb:  It would certainly help to keep things in place without distorting them - sometimes you feel as if you need 3 hands!

I will consult Amazon to see what is available - as I remember, it is useful for zips as well...

The jacket is washable, but I doubt I'll try it - it creases too much, and some of the creases seem permanent as they refuse to be pressed out!

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2022, 14:06:14 PM »
Another fan of wash away tape.  It will enable you to check positioning before committing to sewing.   
Zips are always done with the tape here.  Pins distort too much for my liking.

b15erk

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2022, 15:10:15 PM »
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  Right.  Bit of an update - they're done!!! :dance: :dance:

Actually, not as bad as I thought -just that there are two of them - and they need to match!

As this is a (wearable) toile, I took a bit of care with the  pockets - although looking at the overall fronts, I can't see it will get much wear - if any at all!  Can't get the creases out at all.

Excuse the pictures, some have come out very faded.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Jessie
« Last Edit: May 12, 2022, 15:17:19 PM by b15erk »

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2022, 15:28:15 PM »
Beautifully made! I am so jealous of how neatly you sew!
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Ouryve

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2022, 15:52:55 PM »
So splendid, they are.

You could regard it as fashionably crumpled. Remember that wedding dress?
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"