The Sewing Place

Seam Allowances on Corset Patterns

stephanelli

Seam Allowances on Corset Patterns
« on: May 11, 2022, 17:05:32 PM »
I'm starting to make the Victoria Corset from Sew Curvy.
The pattern is given without seam allowances to allow for accurate stitching.
I need to add seam allowances to the lengthwise seams (obviously) but I was wondering if I need to the same for the top and bottom edges that will be bound with bias binding?  I brought a kit that came with pre-cut boning so I'm hoping I won't need to do any cutting of boning for this corset...

Any thoughts or ways of working this out before I make the mock-up?

Bumblebuncher

Re: Seam Allowances on Corset Patterns
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2022, 17:56:38 PM »
I have not made this pattern but I would add a seam allowance to the mock up just to make sure.  Sometimes corset patterns come up short and it is always easier to remove a bit than add some after!
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

stephanelli

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2022, 20:24:32 PM »
I have not made this pattern but I would add a seam allowance to the mock up just to make sure.  Sometimes corset patterns come up short and it is always easier to remove a bit than add some after!

Thanks for your thoughts here!  This is my first corset so I'm questioning every step right now

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2022, 20:40:10 PM »
I have made a few from different patterns over the years.  Make sure you measure from waist to bust and get those measurements as close as possible.  The beauty of a corset is that lacing up  makes it easier to fit than some other items, the down side is if that bust isn't covered it will spare you no blushes  :embarrassed:
Good luck
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Missie

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2022, 12:44:43 PM »
Yes, you will need to add seam allowances and how much would depend on how you are going to do the channels for the boning.  However, on a toile, I would leave more than the seam allowance so that you have room to manoevre (how is that spelt?!?!?!) during fitting and you need to let out any seams, depending on how tight you are intending to lace the corset and to ensure that the back lacing panels are kept straight.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2022, 12:46:41 PM by Missie »

stephanelli

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2022, 14:03:47 PM »
Yes, you will need to add seam allowances and how much would depend on how you are going to do the channels for the boning.  However, on a toile, I would leave more than the seam allowance so that you have room to manoevre (how is that spelt?!?!?!) during fitting and you need to let out any seams, depending on how tight you are intending to lace the corset and to ensure that the back lacing panels are kept straight.

Thanks for your advice!  I'm going to start work on my toile this afternoon so fingers crossed it goes okay!