The Sewing Place

Starring inaccuracies!

Sheilago

Starring inaccuracies!
« on: May 11, 2022, 20:28:12 PM »
 So here’s my latest project. As usual I’m copyingusing as inspiration a quilt I saw online, so I have no dimensions or a pattern to work to. No problem, I thought. I’ll start by making the central star 12”, with a 3” border of squares all the way round. That way I’ll need 3 sawtooth stars on each side , plus one at each corner.
All seemed well until I got round to measuring the finished star and border and instead of being a little over 18” it was it 20.5” wide on each side. Somehow my border ended up too wide, but I couldn’t cut it back to size as my outer layer of squares would then have been rectangles! However, at least it was consistently out on each side  :D

I thought, ‘All I have to do is make 3 stars to fit each 20.5” side’!  :laughing:
It was then that I discovered that the handy sawtooth star instructions I have,  offer measurements for 6” or 8” , not the just under 7” I needed.
This fiddling around , of course, makes the whole process much slower, but it’s getting there. :rolleyes:

The moral of the story …… measure, measure, measure !
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

« Last Edit: May 11, 2022, 20:29:50 PM by Sheilago »

Acorn

Re: Starring inaccuracies!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2022, 21:40:36 PM »
You've done brilliantly!   :perfect10:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Surest1tch

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2022, 22:04:23 PM »
It looks fabulous and also looks like that's how it was meant to be  :thumb:

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2022, 23:22:18 PM »

The moral of the story …… measure, measure, measure !

Assuming  your centre block is 12" x 12" (finished) - it looks to me that the surrounding border is made of 2" x 2" (finished) squares which will make the complete square 20" x 20", or thereabouts.  Maybe the confusion came about because of the difference in cut sizes and finished sizes.  If you had cut the suaares 2" x 2" they would have finished as 1.5" x 1.5", the border would have been 3" wide and the finished square would have been 18" x 18" as expected - and would have saved a lot of maths to adjust the size of the smaller stars.

Having said that, the quilt looks lovely so you got there in the end. :thumb:
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2022, 23:31:03 PM »
I genuinely read your post and couldn't understand all the measurements and what went wrong (were you saying something went wrong?).  All I can say is I don't see anything wrong, it looks lovely
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Sheilago

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2022, 23:48:27 PM »
Thank you for the kind comments.  Yes@BrendaP, I think that’s what’s gone wrong. I’ve got confused about finished sizes and must have cut 2.5” squares for the border, instead of 2” ones.
@Bumblebuncher , yes what went wrong was that I didn’t check measurements as I went along and the central part of the quilt : the star and the border of squares was too big for my intended 6” smaller stars, so I’ve had to scale them up a bit: time consuming for my non-mathematical brain! Luckily I hadn’t actually made any smaller stars in advance. Still another 13 stars to be made!

Cazlyn

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2022, 07:02:55 AM »
I think it looks great, love your colours.
Crafting is my happy place

RosyPosy

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2022, 08:13:11 AM »
Your quilt looks lovely  - beautiful combinations of colour.  I have nine pieced blocks and can't even get myself to put them together so I am in awe of your achievement.

Sheilago

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2022, 08:40:11 AM »
PS- You do all realise that the completed quilt shown in the picture is just the one I’m copying, including the colours?   :embarrassed:

Mine is the one that has so far only got the centre plus 3 smaller stars: here’s hoping it looks as good!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2022, 08:42:46 AM by Sheilago »

Sheilago

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2022, 14:17:07 PM »
I’ve just finished starry quilt. A friend has just had a long awaited granddaughter- the first girl in the family or a long time, so I’ve rushed to get it quilted.  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
I gave it a pink fleece backing as I thought my friend would love it to be girly and did some quick free motion quilting. The outdoor picture gives a better idea of colours.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 14:27:07 PM by Iminei »

Acorn

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2022, 14:26:02 PM »
It's gorgeous!  The quilting works really well against the fleece, too.   :perfect10:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2022, 14:38:28 PM »
Looks lovely!

Silver Rose

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2022, 14:52:48 PM »
Lovely bright colours, lucky little girl.
Still learning

Lowena

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2022, 14:53:35 PM »
What a gorgeous quilt  <3
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Celia

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2022, 17:02:01 PM »
Lovely