The Sewing Place

Hand or machine ?

Celia

Hand or machine ?
« on: May 12, 2022, 10:27:28 AM »
I have just found a lot of my old embroidery things and am restarting my journey, I am starting with a crewel work design but

I am also drawn to silk shading has anyone done any? My only problem is it reminds me too much of machine embroidery so why don’t I just do it on a machine?   https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1863514708/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i5  I have thus book and have just found
https://youtu.be/3sFfks9Vqlc 

Or should I stick to crewel work and if so does anyone have any favourites to share

Lowena

Re: Hand or machine ?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2022, 11:10:10 AM »
I'm really enjoying Crewel Work. The Crewel Work Company are excellent, their instructions are very clear.
I'm not a fan of machine embroidery as it reminds me of EWM and BM's "old lady's " clothing
I did buy a CW pattern from an Etsy shop but the instructions were not as comprehensive as those from the CW Company although the prices were the same.
Whichever you choose, enjoy  :hug:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2022, 11:38:34 AM »
Hand shaded work is very obvious compared to machine embroidered when you look at it. If you want to embellish garments etc I would go with a machine but for the sheer joy of the needle movement there is no choice to make :D :thread:
I have done silk shading on some embroidery I did before the rib problem and had read a few articles on it.  My initial aim was to do thread painting and I would still love to be good enough to do it properly.  At the moment I am still working on technique and stitches and crewel work is wonderful for that.
Although I don't use a kit, if I did I would also have bought from the Crewel Work Company.  They also have a facebook page if you encounter problems and a multitude of youtube videos to guide you along.
Does that mean we now have an official broderers club on TSP  :thumb:
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

KayK

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2022, 11:58:15 AM »
How about free motion embroidery - that can mimic hand embroidery as the stitches will not be pre-set like an embroidery machine?
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2022, 12:12:58 PM »
@KayK I bought a book on that last week lol It is on my to do list  :thumb:
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Celia

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2022, 14:05:19 PM »
@Bumblebuncher Yes let’s have a broideries club, love that idea.

The kit I am doing is  from the coleshill collection but I have had it for years, I do think it is the same person as the crewel company, it’s just called Jacobean.

I have tried a little free motion I am not good at it but might try again.

I found one of my unfinisher gold work project while I was looking for my supplies, don’t think it will ever get finished.

@Lowena yes I do agree sometimes the machine embroidery can look too commercial and I don’t enjoy watching the machine, it isn’t like hand work.  Great if you want something quickly to turn into something else like embroideries on clothing or a quilt.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2022, 14:13:46 PM »
@Celia That is really gorgeous, yet at the same time fills  me with terror  :laughing:
I am currently working on a wolf's head which is really me having yet another crewel doodle.  Once I feel confident enough I will have a go at something a bit more complex I think.
I am not sure I can stop now I have started as I have got so used to picking it up when I get bored just watching tv and there are so few 'bits' associated with crewel work it doesn't clutter the place up  :thumb:

Lowena

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2022, 15:35:48 PM »
Yes, deffo a broidery club  :dance:
I'm loving the Crewel Work. I'm doing a design called Meadowland. It's from a Norfolk company called The Needlewomans Studio. The instructions are a bit obtuse in places but it's coming along well  :thread:

Celia

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2022, 16:06:55 PM »
That looks lovely @Lowena and a reasonable price compared to some kits I have seen.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2022, 16:24:05 PM »
That looks lovely @Lowena and a reasonable price compared to some kits I have seen.
I agree.  One of the good things about crewel work is even if you don't 'get' the instructions you can do what you want and it will still look good  :D

Diane

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2022, 17:07:08 PM »
@Celia That is beautiful, you are very talented  :perfect10:
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Lowena

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2022, 17:57:40 PM »
I'll post some photos when I finish

Cazlyn

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2022, 07:01:41 AM »
@Celia that is gorgeous.
Crafting is my happy place

Cazlyn

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2022, 07:02:34 AM »
Can I join the club?  Please, please.  Does Roxy’s Journal of Stitchery count?
Crafting is my happy place

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2022, 11:20:15 AM »
@Cazlyn Of course it counts...needle in hand not machine is the only requirement I reckon  :D