The Sewing Place

New Hand embroidery THREAD please join in

Diane

Re: New Hand embroidery THREAD please join in
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2022, 10:37:53 AM »
Thanks for the link @Celia The reason i ask is that i have a huge bag of wool upstairs that was originally bought for a crochet project and it's a shame for it to go to waste.
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Diane

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2022, 10:38:31 AM »
What type of fabric do you use?
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Diane

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2022, 11:10:16 AM »
This is one of my previous projects, pattern is by Trish Burr
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 11:14:08 AM by Diane »

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2022, 11:21:46 AM »
@Diane, crewel wool is two ply wool.  Technically, hand embroidery is pulling stuff through stuff with a needle so you can use any wool you like and any fabric.  In reality the fabric needs to be sturdy, 'proper' embroidery people say to use linen with crewel but I have used linen/polycotton mix and it works fine.
For other embroidery you can use anything! I back mine with muslin to strengthen it and help keep its shape in the hoop or frame  :D

PS I want to be Trish Burr when I grow up! Her stuff is like what I want to be able to do but I am not good enough!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 11:23:41 AM by Bumblebuncher »
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Celia

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2022, 11:36:13 AM »
Snap @Bumblebuncher I love for work.

I do have her book of miniature needle painting, having said that I think I would be happy with @Diane ability, that bird it spectacular  :perfect10: Did you do it from a book or a kit ?

Trish bird does have a  video on YouTube which I want to watch, I have looked at a bit but need time to watch properly.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2022, 11:38:42 AM »
Hazel Blomkamp is another favourite of mine.  She is less traditional than some others and I like that!
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Diane

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2022, 11:39:31 AM »
@Bumblebuncher Thanks for that, i have loads of wool so i might have a practice first before i commit to something. I have plenty of linen...somewhere she says.

I love Trish Burr, i have all of her goldwork and embroidery books and many transfer patterns. I did my first one as posted above and was really pleased as to how it came out, i tried a second one and for the life of me couldn't seem to get it to look right  :rolleyes: I have one that i started a while back but i'm not happy with it, i'll probably tak it when we go on holiday and see if i can do a bit more.

Diane

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2022, 11:41:20 AM »
@Celia I done it from one of her books, the instructions are mostly very detailed.

Celia

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2022, 11:44:26 AM »
What thread did you use for the one you posted? @Diane  the book I have uses sewing thread…… probably a bit small for my eyes these days but I did well with my beading last night so maybe it is  getting better.

Off to look that one up Bubblebuncher.  It’s a wet day here so I have an excuse :laughing:

Diane

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2022, 11:50:13 AM »
@Celia Just standard DMC embroidery threads

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2022, 12:11:40 PM »
@Diane I have come to realise that if I don't like a bit of embroidery it is easy enough to cut it out.  Sharp scissors, a pair of tweezers and snip away! Previously I have looked at things and really not like the look, it may just be a little bit out, but for some reason it never occurred to me to get rid of it and do it again, not sure why as you would certainly remove a wonky row of stitching on some clothing etc
Maybe you can get rid of the bits you are not happy with and do them again?

Celia

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2022, 12:22:47 PM »
I am very tempted to buy this https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Goldwork-Silk-Shading-Inspired-Nature/dp/1782216413/ref=sr_1_1?crid=XMXEXXPITSDJ&keywords=hazel+everett&qid=1652613143&sprefix=Hazel+ev%2Caps%2C67&sr=8-1

I was lucky enough to call Hazel a friend, I originally met her when she was teaching some small classes in the village hall near where I live and discovered she lived near me, our paths crossed quite a bit over the years. She is the person who taught me goldwork, I didn’t know this book had been published until recently.   Just wondering if it would be a good book to just do the silk shading from and maybe use up a small amount of the goldwork stuff I have left over.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2022, 12:38:10 PM »
Oh those are beautiful! I can't justify spending any more money at the  moment as during my enforced 'sit down' I bought what I wanted to keep me occupied  :laughing:
But if I did, that would be on the list I am sure, good reviews is always a bonus

Sewingsue

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2022, 15:24:38 PM »
Technically, hand embroidery is pulling stuff through stuff with a needle
Brilliant

:laughing:
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Bjay

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2022, 16:30:08 PM »
Loved reading about your embroidery adventures.
My fingers won't allow me to join in but I did used to love it so I'll pop in occasionally to see what you are up to. A
Trying to find my way on the Dark side