The Sewing Place

New Hand embroidery THREAD please join in

Celia

New Hand embroidery THREAD please join in
« on: May 14, 2022, 10:12:34 AM »
Ok let’s try this please post pickies of your current makes or just details if pictures are a problem. Maybe pictures of previous makes too.

My current project, is a Jacobean crewel work and I am very much a beginner in crewelwork.  I have also just started another beading project with very tiny delica beads do you think this will count? 

As far as one I want to do in the future it is this one https://www.crewelwork.com/products/rabbits-at-dawn-kit
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 10:32:33 AM by Celia »

Lowena

Re: New Hand embroidery THREAD
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2022, 10:21:23 AM »
That was my first Crewel Work piece @Celia . I'll post a photo later.
I'm now about 1/3 of the way through my next project. I'm loving doing it and hope to improve.....one day  :laughing:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2022, 11:31:02 AM »
@Celia I think you are safe, we are all novices here  :laughing:
I did used to do loads of cross stitch back in the day, I still have one or two but thirty year cross stitch which weren't even framed are well past their sell by date when you are downsizing lol
I haven't used kits recently because I like to play around with stuff and I had the time so why not. It is actually easy to do your own design and then play with the colours.
At the moment I tend to thread doodle with the crewel wool as I have no plan on what stitch I will use until I am looking at where I am  :D
I unpicked a load of it last night (fluff everywhere) because I didn't like the colour, I had yellow where I now have green and it looks much better I think. I really need to get neater, I am always so not neat with everything I do that I really am trying with this one!
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
There she is, dear ol' Wolfie
« Last Edit: May 14, 2022, 14:08:32 PM by Bumblebuncher »
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Lowena

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2022, 14:19:06 PM »
Rather than a link here's the photo of my first piece  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2022, 14:20:41 PM »
Love them bunnies  :D
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

maliw

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2022, 14:50:53 PM »
I haven't done any hand embroidery for years.My friend had an embroidery shop for 30 years and I spent a fortune on kits, threads and fabric. I still have quite a lot of stuff stashed away that I never got round to doing.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Celia

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2022, 15:19:49 PM »
Well come on in @maliw, that is actuwhat started me off again, I found a kit and I also have some books and threads so thought it might make a nice thing to do during the summer.

@Lowena I just love your bunnies that design is firmly on my want to do list.

@Bumblebuncher that is looking good, I think it will be a while until I venture into my own designs, I have too many problems deciding what colour and then what stitch.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2022, 19:42:51 PM »
Well someone liked my gold work  :o
GS1 (age 7) decided he wants it framed for his bedroom, with a minor alteration.  He wants it to have big teeth so it can be a sabre tooth tiger  :laughing:
More than happy to oblige and he was really pleased!

realale

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2022, 21:36:16 PM »
The highest accolade of all @Bumblebuncher  - a grandchild's approbation can't be underestimated!!.   :P
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 07:39:20 AM by realale »
So many beers, so little time.

Celia

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2022, 22:33:59 PM »
That sounds brilliant @Bumblebuncher, it’s great to find someone else appreciating your work, especially a grandchild.

Acorn

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2022, 22:56:21 PM »
I'm currently making a Lynette Anderson bag, which has hand embroidery and applique.  I'll post a picture of my version when I've taken one!  The bag only has the embroidered panel on one side, but I decided that I wanted it on both, so I've taken a block from a Lynette Anderson quilt that works with the theme and is the same shape and size.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2022, 23:27:51 PM »
@Acorn I do think embroidery looks lovely on a bag, look forward to seeing it  :D

Celia

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2022, 10:19:36 AM »
Glad to see some more hand embroidery would it be possible for someone to make this a sticky topic or whatever you call it @Iminei so everyone can see it and maybe post there things.

I like the idea of embroidery on a bag @Acorn I think I have a kit somewhere in my stash I will have to look it out .

Diane

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2022, 10:29:23 AM »
Do you need a certain type of wool to do crewel?
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Celia

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2022, 10:31:43 AM »
  @Diane       This is the one I use
https://www.woolwarehouse.co.uk/thread/appletons-crewel-wool-25m

I was wondering if you would join us as I remember you did some embroidery