The Sewing Place

Conundrum

Greybird

Re: Conundrum
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2022, 10:44:31 AM »
@realale it's a penance I put myself through for several reasons:

1. When ironed, I can get everything to fit in the airing cupboard.
2. The absolute pleasure of getting into fresh, ironed sheets blots out the
    drudgery of doing it.
3. I can't claim that I don't have time to do it.
4. The cloud of self-righteousness that wafts about me for hours after I have
    done it makes the whole thing worth it.

Celia

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2022, 10:53:54 AM »
I have the same problem with tea towels they won’t fit in the draw if I don’t iron them. Mind you when these wear out I will replace with microfibres so no ironing. :laughing: I do have a couple already

Iminei

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2022, 10:56:04 AM »
Cant bear the feel of microfibres on my skin ... YUK!!! I chucked out ALLLLLL the microfibre cloths HWMNBN bought when he moved out  0_0
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2022, 10:59:08 AM »
Everything here gets ironed! Why do you think I haven't any wrinkles  :laughing:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Celia

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2022, 11:01:24 AM »
Everything here gets ironed! Why do you think I haven't any wrinkles  :laughing:

Ok I need to get ironing  :laughing:

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2022, 11:55:36 AM »
Iron?  What's an iron?  :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2022, 13:42:43 PM »
@Bodgeitandscarper It's that thing that has only one purpose... pressing seams!
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Kad

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2022, 14:55:15 PM »
That and using to squish a summer pudding   :thumb:
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Missie

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2022, 09:14:43 AM »
Years ago, when I was working in Harrods, I bought a Christian Dior duvet set in the sale. It was about 14" longer than my standard duvet, and I believe the reason was that the top could be folded down to resemble a flat sheet folded down over a blanket. It was an absolute pain, as I didn't have a maid to arrange it in the manner intended. It was hardly ever used until a couple of years ago when I finally got round to shortening it to the right size.

Could it have been to tuck it in at the bottom of the bed?

Acorn

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2022, 09:38:56 AM »
Oh yes - Premier Inn have duvet covers that do something like that.  I find it a pain because I have to untuck it so that the duvet comes far enough up for me.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Greybird

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2022, 10:12:25 AM »
@Missie - I don't think so because it is piped and has a decorative edging (I can only think of the word flange to describe it!) which is pleated at the corners, trimmed with narrow ribbon and "Dior" embroidered just inside it. If the bottom was tucked in this would be under the mattress and I can't think that that was what they intended.

There is generally a reason why things end up in the sale! I can't complain - the linen department always had the best bargains and I bought it on the last Saturday when everything was reduced again by half!

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2022, 14:45:09 PM »
I iron our bedding too as we only have cotton and it looks a mess otherwise.  Actually DH makes a better job of it than me!   But he doesn’t seem to mind wasting time.   :laughing:

Ouryve

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2022, 22:11:27 PM »
I only bothered to iron bedding when we were selling the house. I'm generally overwhelmed by laundry related duties, as it is!
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"