The Sewing Place

shortening length of gazebo curtains

RKsew2010

shortening length of gazebo curtains
« on: May 16, 2022, 14:31:08 PM »
I have a question about shortening the length of some gazebo curtains I will purchase online. They have grommets along the top and bottom, so I can't cut one of the curtain like a simple hem. I have to shorten the curtain by removing fabric from the middle. I'm not sure what the best way to go about this is. I am thinking a flat felled seam would work for this? I have experience taking in shirts using a straight seam/straight stitch but that's it. The website does not say exactly what material the curtains are made of. Only that they are 3 layers and are waterproof and windproof. I’m also wondering what size of needle would be best and what type of thread? I have a Kenmore model 1249 sewing machine. Thanks

These are the curtains -->

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

The link has been removed in accordance with the membership agreement and replaced with the image linked to by Admin of TSP
Sorry for any inconvenience caused @RKsew2010
« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 08:59:12 AM by Iminei »

b15erk

Re: shortening length of gazebo curtains
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2022, 15:26:50 PM »
If you can't adjust the poles, the only suggestion I can make would be to fold the excess fabric as near to the bottom grommets as you can, and sew a seam straight across.  If you do it at the top, it will be very visible, but shouldn't be as noticeable along the bottom.

Otherwise I think you will have to cut the fabric to length, turn up, and insert new grommets.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Hummingbird

Re: shortening length of gazebo curtains
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2022, 09:01:37 AM »
Cut off the bottom grommet section neatly with enough seam allowance to re-join. Then shorten the remaining panel as required and seam the grommet section back on.

Outdoor fabrics do not readily fray so it should be a fairly neat job.