The Sewing Place

Singer 611g woes

b15erk

Singer 611g woes
« on: July 05, 2022, 11:05:03 AM »
This is my go to machine for buttonholes, and as I have been making shirtdresses, I fired it up, changed the template, and wizzed off a couple of practise buttonholes. Then I did a few more, scratching my head a bit whilst changing the tension.

Well, for once, the buttonholes weren't perfect - OK, but not perfect.

I decided to have a root around yesterday, dismantled and cleaned the upper tension.  I did find a couple of minor issues - the take up spring could do with changing, and the spring holder has the beginning of a crack in it.  Nothing to interfere with the tension though, and on pulling the thread through, it was fine.

I turned my attention to the bobbin tension - and what a can of worms I opened! Should I have left well alone, probably...  First indications were, that the tension was too high, but no matter how low I adjusted it, it stayed the same.  I then noticed that the thread wasn't taking up properly, therefore by passing the tension bit.  When I removed the bobbin holder, it seems that the bobbin holder may be falulty, and the small tension bar seems to have been 'tampered' with, as it isn't proving effective at taking the thread up and across the top of the bobbin.  :thinking: :facepalm: :thinking:

So, I looked up Helen Howes, and found what I needed - only to see that it was sold... :cry:  I might try to send and email later, but  I have the feeling that these may be like hens teeth.

Anyone know of a website which has pics of 611g parts so that I can compare??  Long shot I know, but without working tension my lovely 611g is a bit of a white elephant... :cry:

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.