The Sewing Place

Speed control issue

Adey1981

Speed control issue
« on: May 17, 2022, 21:41:46 PM »
One thing that has bugged me about my sewing machine since I got it, is it's erratic foot pedal. Sometimes its ok, sometimes I get nothing....nothing...nothing...BOoM and off it goes.
Well today I decided to give it a good clean and some oil. The first seam I did, I noticed how much quieter it was. Awesome! On the second seam though, the speed issue was worse than it ever was. I think the friction in the machine was helping control the speed, but now the pedal might as well be a switch, it's all or nothing. Unusable for me.

It's an old machine (a Frister & Rossmann Beaver 4, probably from '81) and has (I think) a rheostat in the pedal. I've had a look inside and there isn't really anything to fix. It's a very crude mechanism which allows the electricity to arc across the terminals from what I can see (and here).

Is this an issue anyone else remembers having with an older machine?

Does anyone know of there is someway of fixing or modifying it?

I can't topstitch at 900 spm

Surest1tch

Re: Speed control issue
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2022, 22:02:28 PM »
There are quite a few Frister Rossman older model foot pedals for sale on eBay @Andymat.

Lachica

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2022, 22:47:29 PM »
Following this as I have an old F&R machine with a duff pedal which I was given on Freegle. I thought possibly the capacitor in the foot pedal has blown (smells like it) and if I can repair it the plan is to give it to the local repair café. I haven't yet had a chance to take the pedal apart.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Adey1981

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2022, 00:37:40 AM »
I think I've fixed it.

Lachica

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2022, 07:11:20 AM »
@Adey1981 good save! That's the great thing about these old machines - no circuit boards to hinder user maintenance.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2022, 09:19:40 AM »
Pleased to hear you've fixed it, and this thread may well prove useful to someone else with  similar problem.

Adey1981

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2022, 10:15:43 AM »
@Lachica Absolutely, I love old machines like these that were made to last and be maintained/fixed. It will probably still be going when all of today's machines are in the landfill.

I should give credit to the guy who made a video about this. This one:
https://youtu.be/QVE9P9-X0FA

I wasn't able to find the carbon discs for sale anywhere, but there are universal pedals available for £15-20. You use your old cable and just wire into the new pedal.

Something less to have nagging at the back my mind in the future.

Phew

« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 10:17:50 AM by Adey1981 »

Adey1981

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2022, 12:57:59 PM »
Well after a horrendous experience the other day with my machine, I decided to buy a new pedal (0nly £13.99 inc.P&P)

What a difference  0_0
I now have full control, much better than with the old one - even on it's good days. No more anxiously pressing my foot as gently as possible trying to go slow, only for it to blast on like a jackhammer. I can just plonk my foot on and get a nice slow pace straight away. It also stays the same speed rather than jumping around.

It's like a whole new machine.

Cheered me right up it has  :)

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2022, 19:21:22 PM »
Bargain then! :)

Adey1981

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2022, 19:32:21 PM »
Yeah, I should of just bought it weeks ago and saved myself all the headaches.