The Sewing Place

Harris tweed

Lincoln hobbit

Harris tweed
« on: June 19, 2017, 16:08:37 PM »
In all this heat I'm lothe to even THINK about this. However, I shall be visiting Lewis in a couple of weeks and hope to treat myself to a bit of Lewis tweed fabric for a skirt. I've found that it is woven in 80 cm widths only so it will be have to be a 6/8 panelled skirt. Any ideas on patterns, anyone?

Efemera

Re: Harris tweed
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 16:14:27 PM »
Does it have to be panelled?... how about something simple to show off the fabric.. you could utilise the nice serlve  edge

Tamnymore

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 16:49:49 PM »
 I  love Harris tweed.  :loveit: Harris tweed is woven in single or double widths and it isn't hard to find double width (150cm wide) It's handwoven so is the real deal. The big tweed warehouse in Tarbert is a good place to start although there are a number of other weavers in Harris and Lewis. I think you will probably pay round about £40 pm for the wide width (that's what Harris tweed and knitwear are selling it for on their website).
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 16:54:11 PM »
Yes, it is narrow because it's woven on hand looms and 80cm is about as wide as one person can manage to throw the shuttles.

Many years ago I bought a piece of Harris Tweed whilst on holiday in Fort WIlliam.  It came with a label telling me the weaver's name and that it had been woven on Lewis.  I made a wrap-over A-line skirt with it.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 18:40:56 PM »
Don't worry, when you get to Lewis you'll probably be needing to wear Harris tweed!  Last time I went in the summer, I said I was only ever going at Easter or autumn as I always lost my suntan in the summer!  It is a lovely place though, my last trip up there was 8 days cycle touring/camping, an enjoyable trip despite the day I stopped in the middle of the road and demanded a hotel for the night to dry off!

Lincoln hobbit

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 21:01:36 PM »
I am currently trying to finish a pure wool knitted jacket to take with me so I should be prepared for the vagaries of the weather. Though, again, it's not really the temperature for it now.

Tamnymore

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 21:29:22 PM »
Some of the loveliest beaches in the world are in Harris. Luskentyre is fabulous.

Fiona M

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 21:36:28 PM »
I went to Harris & Lewis during the first week of October a few years ago, and we had glorious, hot, sunny weather -we even went in the sea, although the water was cold.  The beaches are to die for, absolutely stunning. 
I bought Harris tweed at the big shop by the ferry port in Tarbert, and also two pieces from a lovely weaver whose shed we visited - all still maturing nicely in my stash!  In the big shop the pieces are all labelled with the weaver's name, as that's how they know who to pay when it is sold. 
It was wonderful holiday, I even saw an otter come out of the loch, I hope you have a great time!

Tamnymore

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 21:58:30 PM »
Years and years ago DH went swimming in the sea off Harris while I stood on the beach in my duffle coat and gloves.  :)

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2017, 08:58:06 AM »
Some of the loveliest beaches in the world are in Harris. Luskentyre is fabulous.
We camped on the dunes at Horgabost, most amazing view for a middle-of-the-night al fresco wee!! :|  0_0

Lincoln hobbit

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2017, 09:54:36 AM »
Thank you for all your ideas and memories. I didn't realise they made double width fabric so that makes things easier. I'm really looking forward to going.

Tamnymore

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2017, 10:03:30 AM »