The Sewing Place

Help with FBA please

Cazlyn

Help with FBA please
« on: May 20, 2022, 07:39:05 AM »
Hi all, I’m trying to make a simple top New Look 6483 but having to do a FBA.  I cut out a 16 according to my measurements, did a FBA and made a toile - I’m swimming in it!  Any help would be much appreciated, I’d just love to be able to make tops that fit. 
Crafting is my happy place

toileandtrouble

Re: Help with FBA please
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2022, 08:40:09 AM »
What measurement did you use for size?  You need to start with high bust, which gives the right chest size, then do the FBA. 
 Also try comparing the paper pattern with a top that fits your shoulders well. (Remembering the pattern has seam allowances of course)

Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Ouryve

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2022, 08:50:23 AM »
Yes, it hrlps yo think of your breasts as an add on to your frame. Two women could have the same waist and over bust measurements but one be a dressmaker's E cup and one be a B cup (not the same as bra sizes) and would probably buy a different size off the peg. E cup lady would probably find her larger sized top a poor fit.

With made to measure, they would both wear the same size but E cup lady would require the FBA. The cashmerette blog is good at explaining this.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

toileandtrouble

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2022, 19:29:10 PM »
If you haven't got one that is a good fit at neck and shoulders you have the toile. Pinch out the excess on each shoulder to make a good fit. You can use clothes pegs to hold the 'pinch' if you don't have anyone to help. Then tack the fold down the full length, both sides. Try it on now to see if that is right. Adjust if not.  Compare that to the pattern.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Cazlyn

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2022, 23:03:54 PM »
@toileandtrouble  @Ouryve  Thank you both for your suggestions I’ll try again tomorrow and report back x
Crafting is my happy place