The Sewing Place

Sewalong for the Patchwork Jacket from the Sewing Bee

Diane

Re: Sewalong for the Patchwork Jacket from the Sewing Bee
« Reply #105 on: May 28, 2022, 19:19:17 PM »
@Deafoldbat Thanks for the info, I’ve never made anything like this before so I’m being a bit cautious on how much I spend on batting/wadding. I don’t want the jacket to be too thick, it’s really just something to pop on if I’m in the car. I did order a sample of the cotton batting and it feels quite nice, thanks for the heads up on having to pre wash it.
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

BrendaP

« Reply #106 on: May 28, 2022, 20:19:33 PM »
I'd like to have a go at this, but definitely won't be starting just yet.  I'm unlikely to use the same pattern as they used on GBSB.  A used copy of this popped through the door today.  It's a bit dated (and very American) but there is a lot of food for thought.  All the garments shown have minimal shaping and from my first quick skim-read, not a dart in sight.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ploshkin

« Reply #107 on: May 29, 2022, 08:21:45 AM »
I know many quilters poo poo polyester batting but I really like it .  I've never used anything else for a quilt and would happily use it for a jacket.  Its lightweight, warm easy to quilt and washes really well with no shrinkage worry.  The one I use is Soft and Bright  (£7.90 /m in Empress Mills, less if you have more than 1 metre)  I did once use some Hobbs polyester batting but found it patchy in its thickness so have stuck with Soft and Bright.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 08:25:48 AM by Ploshkin »
Life's too short for ironing.

Lowena

« Reply #108 on: May 29, 2022, 09:55:09 AM »
I usually use 80/20 wadding
Triumph of hope over experience :D

BrendaP

« Reply #109 on: May 29, 2022, 10:20:07 AM »
I usually use 80/20 wadding

Yes, that's the correct English spelling of the word.

Poly wadding is lighter and loftier than cotton wadding, depends on what you want the end result to be like.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #110 on: May 29, 2022, 10:31:12 AM »
I'm having lightside doubts about cutting yardage into squares for patchworking.
I might do a bit of mix and match as I only have short lengths of fabrics as well as old garments to cut up.
One of my fabrics has quite a large print and it would be quite nice to showcase part of that, perhaps on the front neckline and the centre back.

Celia

« Reply #111 on: May 29, 2022, 10:42:20 AM »
Ok I am in but will not be starting sewing yet but will enjoy the planning. I would like to have it finished by the Autumn.

Diane

« Reply #112 on: May 29, 2022, 19:33:06 PM »
I'm really looking forward to making this patchwork jacket. I have my main fabric squares but have also ordered some additional plain blender fabric so it doesn't look too busy, lining fabric also on order. I just need to try and decide how i'm going to arrange my fabric and what shapes i'm going to use......all good fun and a good distraction away from any anxiety.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 19:43:11 PM by Diane »
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Sheilago

« Reply #113 on: May 30, 2022, 08:45:37 AM »
I don’t make clothes often, but I did consider making one for my almost 4 year old granddaughter. I’d need to find a pattern in her size. I would use polyester wadding, I think, if I go ahead.

Stitches

Re: Help needed patchwork jacket from the sewing bee
« Reply #114 on: May 30, 2022, 10:15:25 AM »
 Hi just popped in  saw Lowena last week she told me about you all making a quilted jacket thought you might find this helpful
https://youtu.be/f82iekX_zog

Iminei

« Reply #115 on: May 30, 2022, 10:43:21 AM »
Thanks for that ... I never knew that Edyta Sitar was Fraanks sister

Can any of you Lightsiders give me an opinion on using a sweating shirt as a base ??? I do have a bran d new much bigger SS that I could use if its doable and makes a good job.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2022, 10:48:48 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #116 on: May 30, 2022, 15:19:43 PM »
@Iminei, are you planning to back your jacket with the sweatshirt or use it as a pattern?
Sweatshirting normally has a bit of stretch (as its a knitted fabric not woven) so if you are combining it with non stretch woven fabrics, you'd just have to take that into account.

Acorn

« Reply #117 on: May 30, 2022, 15:20:46 PM »
@Iminei I'd say that would dramatically increase your chances of it not working...
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #118 on: May 30, 2022, 16:34:19 PM »
Just watched the video linked earlier and I see now where Iminei is getting the sweatshirt idea.
The woman takes a sweatshirt one size too big, cuts it apart, then uses it as the pattern and wadding for her jacket.
When she shows herself wearing one at the end it doesn't look like it fits very well so hmmm.

Kad

« Reply #119 on: May 31, 2022, 14:17:57 PM »
So far, so good. Actually this silk is the devil to sew - the sample pieces were anything but on grain but if I'd squared them up they'd have been to small to create the jacket. I ended up doing 'stitch & flip' and quilting each column as I attached it to the wadding to minimise any shifting about. Anyway atm the side seams match at block corners even after I sewed a small bust dart and I'm wondering whether to 'bag out' the lining or bind the edges.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 17:19:34 PM by Kad »
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.