The Sewing Place

Sewalong for the Patchwork Jacket from the Sewing Bee

Celia

Re: Help needed patchwork jacket from the sewing bee
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2022, 15:05:40 PM »
This as all good info, I don’t want to add a lining as I want to make something fairly casual and less jackety if you know what I mean.

I am busy sorting out sheds etc in the garden today but I will go through my other pattern this week as I am sure I have another similar pattern.

Acorn

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2022, 15:21:12 PM »
I have two suitable patterns, Bootstrap (made to measure) 4583:

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

and StyleArc Adelaide:

I have been planning a jacket like this for a long time, but I'm not sure the timing is right to take part in the sewalong just now - I'll do my best though!

@BrendaP has made a beautiful patchwork jacket.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

realale

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2022, 15:27:07 PM »
Many years ago my sister bought me a quilted jacket that was reversible - I have worn and worn and worn that jacket as it is so versatile and easy to wear. I've only ever worn it the one way though - the one side (inside for me!!) is plain and I much prefer the patterned side. (You'd never have guessed would you?!!)
So many beers, so little time.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2022, 15:50:30 PM »
Here is the download for the pattern from the Sewing Bee.

https://www.hardiegrant.com/uk/quadrille/themodernwardrobe

Choose the Quilted jacket in A4, its 20 pages long.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 15:55:03 PM by SewRuthieSews »

Ouryve

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2022, 16:09:39 PM »
This one has lined and unlined versions. https://megannielsen.com/products/hovea-jacket-coat-pattern
If I was making an unlined one (I probably wouldn't!) I'd be inclined to at least bind the seams so they didn't look a mess.

Edit, re-read and looked at more of the pics (there are lots!) and it's the non-quilted versions that are lined.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 16:15:48 PM by Ouryve »
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Pearl

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2022, 16:59:58 PM »
Please could anyone recommend a pattern this kind of shape? 

How many fat quarters do you think would be needed?

Ouryve

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2022, 17:15:29 PM »
The hovea jacket I linked to might do the trick, @Pearl, though the drop sleeves aren't fully drop sleeves - there's some shaping in the sleeve head. That's probably not a bad thing for such a stiff fabric as something quilted, though. Minimises weird sticky outy bits around the armholes.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Diane

I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Tamnymore

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2022, 17:49:13 PM »
@Acorn I've used the Style arc Adelaide pattern for an ordinary non patchwork jacket. As far as I remember it went together very easily. Quite roomy and sleeves were a bit long but that's easy to sort. It has got dropped shoulders of course.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2022, 20:18:06 PM »
I've got a pile of home dec fabric scraps in varying shades of duck egg blue and beige which I've always wanted to use for something, they'd be great for this sort of project.

Iminei

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2022, 07:10:06 AM »
If I was making an unlined one (I probably wouldn't!) I'd be inclined to at least bind the seams so they didn't look a mess.

Thats a point ... Did the GBSB line their jackets???? I imagine with the ridiculous time constraint they wuldnt havetime to both make the fabric, layer it, quilt it, make the jacket, line it and bind the outside edges too ... So I bet the insides look a right mess

This was the problem I had with the Japanese Sewalong ... with the jacket I sent off to @Syrinx  ... I was French seaming the inside (it was a reversible fabric) but couldnt work out how to do the arms.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2022, 07:40:00 AM »
If I was making an unlined one (I probably wouldn't!) I'd be inclined to at least bind the seams so they didn't look a mess. Thats a point ... Did the GBSB line their jackets???? I imagine with the ridiculous time constraint they wuldnt havetime to both make the fabric, layer it, quilt it, make the jacket, line it and bind the outside edges too ... So I bet the insides look a right mess

I plan to overlock the seams as I want it to be an easy lightweight summer jacket.

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2022, 07:49:42 AM »
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

This is my quilted jacket I bought from Monsoon in March. (Top pic)
I’ve used the pics from their website to show what it looks like on a model.
I don’t know what you call the way the sleeves are attached but it’s comfortable to wear. I was thinking of using this to make a pattern but I also have a second quilted jacket that I also want to replicate.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 07:56:33 AM by WildAtlanticWay »

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2022, 07:53:17 AM »
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

This is my quilted Jacket from East that I also want to use as a pattern. This Jacket is reversible so that solves the seams dilemma. I particularly like the white quilting stitch they’ve used so I’ll look at the decorative stitches on my machine and see if there’s anything comparable I can use. 

However, I definitely want to make at least one Patchwork, quilted jacket. Just need to decide on which pattern to follow.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 07:59:41 AM by WildAtlanticWay »

Acorn

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2022, 09:27:25 AM »
I think Patrick did mention the possibility of binding the seams, but I can't quite remember the context.

If I wanted to make a reversible jacket (or just one with a very neat inside) I would do something similar to quilt-as-you-go.  Having pieced, sandwiched and quilted* I would sew the seams through one layer and the wadding, and then oversew the other side.

* Quilting would need to be kept a little over two seam widths away from the edge to make this possible.

I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.