The Sewing Place

Sewalong for the Patchwork Jacket from the Sewing Bee

Celia

Sewalong for the Patchwork Jacket from the Sewing Bee
« on: May 22, 2022, 11:48:26 AM »
I have now got the book and am still undecided if it’s any good or not more about that later on another post, right now I am looking at the patchwork jacket, I liked the idea even before I saw it and some of them looked good on the show.  The one in the pattern book is not quite to my idea but I am thinking of using it with altering length etc., here are my problems

They say cut the front pieces out to size once you have pieced the fabric, then cut wadding and lining out 1 inch bigger, and then quilt it.   :thinking: Well in my limited experience does that not mean the front once quilted and of course trimmed will end up smaller than you want???

The sleeves are pieced but not quilted and the back is not even pieced. Also just for your interest there are no mitred corners on the binding :thinking: :thinking:

Not sure if I should post this here or in the darkside maybe @SewRuthieSews you can help, do you have the book yet , I think you said you had it on order?

« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 13:17:54 PM by Iminei »

SewRuthieSews

Re: Help needed patchwork jacket from the sewing bee
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2022, 12:15:25 PM »
I have the book (came yesterday) but have only given it a quick look through.

Lowena

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2022, 12:32:31 PM »
Can't help with garment construction but as to quilting....the back and wadding are always  at least 1" bigger than the pieced part. When quilted everything is then trimmed to the same size as the front ( pieced) part.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 12:34:34 PM by Lowena »
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2022, 12:38:10 PM »
I would most definitely piece, quilt and then cut out. 
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Pearl

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2022, 12:53:10 PM »
I am planning to piece, quilt and then cut out the jacket pieces. 

Could we have a sew-along to make a patchwork jacket, @SewRuthieSews , @Flobear ?  There seems to be quite a bit of interest and several members who have experience.  (Or @realale could run a workshop in her pub.    :gin: :toast: :hic: :sew:)

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2022, 12:59:13 PM »
Sure I'd join in with that :-)

Ellabella

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2022, 13:11:49 PM »
I agree with @Acorn , but just check the size of the front pattern piece.  Will it fit to the back or have they made it slightly larger to accommodate shrinkage when quilted.

Iminei

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2022, 13:16:52 PM »
Ive been thinking about this as well having see them do it ....

As I saw it it was quite simple .... they're making enough of the material to cover the pattern parts/bits, cutting it out, sewing it together and binding ... its a 3D quilt!

And none of us would have the problem of them hovering over us or time constraint... I think tho' they were given charm packs or cut squares to work with so didnt have to choose and cut the fabrics first.

They say cut the front pieces out to size once you have pieced the fabric, then cut wadding and lining out 1 inch bigger, and then quilt it.   :thinking: Well in my limited experience does that not mean the front once quilted and of course trimmed will end up smaller than you want??? @Celia

Yes you are quite right ... the fabric needs to be quilted and then cut ... but GBSB gets lots of things wrong dont they?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 13:19:58 PM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Celia

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2022, 13:22:36 PM »
I am planning to piece, quilt and then cut out the jacket pieces. 

Could we have a sew-along to make a patchwork jacket, @SewRuthieSews , @Flobear ?  There seems to be quite a bit of interest and several members who have experience.  (Or @realale could run a workshop in her pub.    :gin: :toast: :hic: :sew:)

Yes I would love to join a quilt along

Iminei

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2022, 13:25:32 PM »
The only thing that would put Darksiders off joining is lack of pattern and in my circumstances, adeptness at garment making ... but it would be good!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Pearl

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2022, 13:38:31 PM »
The only thing that would put Darksiders off joining is lack of pattern and in my circumstances, adeptness at garment making ... but it would be good!

I'm inept and I'm not put off.   :laughing:

And @Lowena , in answer to your question, this summer - cut, piece, quilt, cut out the jacket pieces, sew it together, summer 2032 - finish sewing on the binding.

Lowena

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2022, 13:39:38 PM »
 :laughing:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

realale

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2022, 14:50:25 PM »
Well, I do mine yet differently!!  :D
I prepare the strips of patchwork then attach them to the wadding and each other from the centre out by the stitch and flip method (does that make sense? In my head it does!!  0_0) That means they are attached to the wadding all in one go. I tend to do minimal quilting stitches on mine as I'm usually using denim so I would just do a double row of orangey yellow stitches on a seam somewhere where I wanted a highlight or to break up/disguise something.
But I'm happy to host a party booze up sew along at my pub  :toast:  ;)
So many beers, so little time.

Kad

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2022, 14:54:22 PM »
But I'm happy to host a party booze up sew along at my pub  :toast:  ;)

The completed garments may be more "crazy patchwork" or "drunkards path" in style if we party too hard  :hic: :laugh:
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

BrendaP

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2022, 14:58:15 PM »

They say cut the front pieces out to size once you have pieced the fabric, then cut wadding and lining out 1 inch bigger, and then quilt it.   :thinking: Well in my limited experience does that not mean the front once quilted and of course trimmed will end up smaller than you want???

The sleeves are pieced but not quilted and the back is not even pieced. Also just for your interest there are no mitred corners on the binding :thinking: :thinking:

I have just skim-rewatched the relevent bits of the TV program.

The diagram at the beginning showed fronts sandwiched and quilted, sleeves sandwiched but but quilted then those parts were added to the back - no info about how the back was made but they all looked as though there was wadding, so lined as well.  The wadding was cut an inch bigger all round and then trimmed once the quilting was done, but they didn't show how the sleeves were dealt with.

Some of the binding was awful - not just that it wasn't mitred but ugly and wobbly top stitching across the front of the binding  :scream:  There are three ways to bind and all have their downsides:
Attach binding to right side, fold over and hand stitch to the machine stitching - time consuming.
Attach binding to right side, fold over so that it overlaps the stitching line then stitch in the ditch from the right side - needs to be accurate or it will move and won't be properly attached inside!
Use a binding attachment and attach in one pass with top stitching close to the edge of the binding - takes practice if you are not used to it.

A TSP sewalong competition sounds good.  You just need to find a pattern that doesn't have darts, all the shaping needs to be in the seams.  Also decide whether it will be 'unlined' (as the GSGB jackets were, what they called 'lining' was what darksiders call backing) or would you make a separate lining in addition to the backing - that would remove the need to do any binding!

« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 14:59:52 PM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.