The Sewing Place

Sewalong for the Patchwork Jacket from the Sewing Bee

Celia

Re: Help needed patchwork jacket from the sewing bee
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2022, 09:35:08 AM »
I think I will overlock mine and then topstitch the seam down where possible, it is a technique I often use.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2022, 09:42:22 AM »
If I wanted to make a reversible jacket (or just one with a very neat inside) I would do something similar to quilt-as-you-go.  Having pieced, sandwiched and quilted* I would sew the seams through one layer and the wadding, and then oversew the other side.

That's a very interesting idea.

Kad

« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2022, 09:49:27 AM »
I wasn't even thinking about joining in with this but...
... reading the posts reminded me that 8 years ago *** I went out with a friend for coffee and sticky bun to a local cafe which had a home interiors store on the first floor. This was one of those places that had glorious fabrics at astronomical prices  :faints: but was closing down with its sample books for sale. Somewhere I have a book of silk curtaining samples, I don't know if there'll be enough for a jacket but I do remember that it was a bargain for roughly £3. I'll be having a hunt for it wish me luck.

*** We had builders in at the time so a regular coffee and sticky bun saved my sanity  :laugh:
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Kad

« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2022, 10:28:38 AM »
Well I'm pleased to say that my filing system worked - in a box, helpfully labelled " stuff"  0_0 I've found 31 pieces of silk, slightly textured and some 'shot' colours, each 8" * 12.5"

I also found 28 pieces, varying from 12" * 8" to 7.5" * 8", of so called Art Silk ie rayon

Thinking about a bag in the Art Silk and wondering if I should use the silk as it is or cut up?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 10:32:25 AM by Kad »

Cazlyn

« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2022, 10:32:59 AM »
Gorgeous fabric @Kad
Crafting is my happy place

Iminei

« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2022, 10:45:28 AM »
I have various 'special' fabrics put away ... think Oakshott, silks, velours (this last also from a fabric sample book) that Im keeping for something special .... I was think a specially luxurious lap quilt but ...

If I knew how to make a jacket ... the quilting is the easy bit!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Acorn

« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2022, 10:49:05 AM »
If you choose the pattern carefully you wouldn't have much to do that you hadn't already done whilst quilting.  No darts, straight seams, the sleeves could be attached at the shoulders and then sewn up, so the whole thing would be 2-dimensional until the very last moment.

@Kad  :loveit: 

I do have a collection of velvet pieces... although I'd been imagining this in denim...
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Iminei

« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2022, 11:02:47 AM »
but SLEEVES !!!!!!  :scream:
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2022, 11:17:44 AM »
Way way beyond me I'm afraid  :faints:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Kad

« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2022, 11:19:18 AM »

Don't overthink things, just do it and if you can't cope with the sleeves when the time comes - well you were always making a loose sleeveless gilet weren't you?

Celia

« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2022, 11:52:26 AM »
Come on both of you @Lowena  and @Iminei you make beautiful quilts, these jacket can really be just a big quilt until you sew the seams which can be as few as
2 shoulders
2 sleeve insertion, which can be straight
2 side seams

All the quilting you know how to do
And
You will be better at the binding than me.

Lowena

« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2022, 11:59:14 AM »
No way @Celia ...shoulders  :scream: seams  :scream: sleeves  :scream: :faints: Not to mention the  :devil: own lining...interfacing...neatening seams...curves!
Piecing ✔  sandwiching ✔  mitred binding ✔ anything else  :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Acorn

« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2022, 12:02:38 PM »
If you pick the right pattern there will be no lining, no interfacing and no curves.  Seam neatening is up to you, but could be done as you would with quilt as you go.

The seams would all be straight, and a seam is a seam is a seam - you sew plenty of seams when piecing!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ouryve

« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2022, 12:43:03 PM »

If I can stitch sleeves in, anyone who knows their way around a machine can! Especially those who can accurately piece together hundreds of tiny bits of cloth to form a pleasing pattern.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2022, 14:15:26 PM »
@Kad  oooo, that fabric is utterly gorgeous. It will look amazing made up as a patchwork jacket!!