The Sewing Place

Sewalong for the Patchwork Jacket from the Sewing Bee

So Chic

Re: Help needed patchwork jacket from the sewing bee
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2022, 14:45:11 PM »
I might have a go at a quilted jacket as I’ve found a Grainline pattern that looks easy but I would do patch pockets instead of welt pockets, much easier to match evenly.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Iminei

« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2022, 15:46:22 PM »
these jacket can really be just a big quilt until you sew the seams which can be as few as
2 shoulders
2 sleeve insertion, which can be straight
2 side seams

AAAAAGGGHHHHHHHH  :scream:    :scream:     :scream:  Runs away as fast as she can!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Celia

« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2022, 16:02:17 PM »
these jacket can really be just a big quilt until you sew the seams which can be as few as
2 shoulders
2 sleeve insertion, which can be straight
2 side seams

AAAAAGGGHHHHHHHH  :scream:    :scream:     :scream:  Runs away as fast as she can!

Coward !!!!!!!!! :laughing:

Kad

« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2022, 16:25:14 PM »
@Iminei
@Lowena

Try, until you try you'll never know if you can. Shoulders are only seams at a slight angle, nowhere near as angled as those in half square triangles. Side seams are only lines of stitches and you've done thousands of those. What would we be if we never tried anything new?

Didn't know that I could plaster a wall until I tried. It turns out that I'm quite good at it, not brilliant but good enough - just like royal icing a cake really, a very big cake
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Iminei

« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2022, 16:28:05 PM »
@Celia    You come HERE and say that to my face!!!!

I might let you go after a week or two, 1 bag, 3 pairs of JimJam trews, I dress and a quilted jacket!!!!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 20:37:07 PM by Iminei »

Lowena

« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2022, 16:31:56 PM »
@Kad what about the adage " know your limitations "  :laughing:
@Iminei used to make waistcoats so she really is hiding her light under a bushel. Whereas I had never touched a sewing machine in anger until 10 yrs ago when I started on TDS
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ploshkin

« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2022, 16:37:29 PM »
Back on the subject of seam finishing, you can also sew one side of a binding strip in with the seam then fold it over the raw seam edges and hand stitch it down.  Actually you could probably machine it down because on the right side it would be just another bit of quilting parallel to the seam.
I joined my one and only QAYG like that.
Life's too short for ironing.

BrendaP

« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2022, 16:54:44 PM »

I have been planning a jacket like this for a long time, but I'm not sure the timing is right to take part in the sewalong just now - I'll do my best though!

@BrendaP has made a beautiful patchwork jacket.

Actually I've made several!

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
This one was 6" squares of denim from old jeans.  I made five pieces of fabric as they did on GBSB.  It is not quilted but is lined; bagging out method and the frogs are the only method of closure.  Can't remember which pattern I used, it may have been a Franken pattern.

This one is whole cloth (cotton poplin) but it is quilted and then lined.  It might have been Burda 8949.  Inspired by the jackets that Mary Berry was wearing a few years ago.  It is quite thick for a short jacket - but I think I used high loft poly wadding!  Machine made buttonholes and I recall difficulty in finding suitable buttons.

This is Zambeezee from Pearl Red Moon.  The pattern came with all the separate pieces.  I then put the pattern pieces together to make a lining pattern.  It's not quilted but I did coverstitch from the back using three needles and kept the middle needle in the ditch for a contrasting "top stitch" and then made a separate lining.  I used a variety of silk scraps, some very well matured, all from my stash.  The neckline on this pattern is very low.  If I were to make it again I would completely re-draw the neckline.  It features poorly made bound buttonholes.

This one isn't a jacket, it's a cape/wearable quilt.  Not quite square, the shoulders are sloped so when laid out flat, before adding a line of stitching each side to separate the 'sleeves' from the body, the front edges overlapped slightly.  That meant joins in the backing fabric at the shoulder line.  Machine crazy patchwork (a mix of stitch and flip and aplique) using all sorts of scraps including synthetics, a narrow zig-zag top stitch over the seams and then sandwiched and quilted using straight lines in random directions.  It is bound; mitred corners at the bottom and curved at the neck.  Three large press studs at the neck for fastening.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2022, 17:25:41 PM »
@Kad's fabrics are gorgeous!

Here are mine. I bought a bag of scraps for something silly like 50p, when I went into a very posh curtain shop some years ago.
I'd escaped from the office at lunchtime whilst working on a stressful project and this was my coping mechanism.
I think they are mostly the narrow sections cut off when someone has curtains hemmed to length.
Many of them have 2 'good' sides as they are jacquard patterns.
I've then added a couple of other remnants in the same colour story.

I'd quite like to make a more shaped coat/jacket, perhaps using this McCall's Pattern I've used before

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2022, 17:38:08 PM »
The Sewing Bee was using 4 inch squares apparently (or at least that's what the book says).
They reckon you need 100 squares for the sleeves and fronts only, and it is a fairly cropped style.

Love all your examples @BrendaP !

Deafoldbat

« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2022, 19:53:59 PM »
If you can find a copy of Jacket Jazz by Judy Murrah there are patterns in that and fairly idiot proof instructions
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jacket-Jazz-Patchwork-Techniques-Templates/dp/1564770214

or try Wonderful Wearables by Virginia Avery
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wonderful-Wearables-Celebration-Creative-Clothing/dp/0891459804/ref=sr_1_1?crid=129H2UQBW34K7&keywords=wonderful+wearables&qid=1653331572&s=books&sprefix=wonderful+wearables%2Cstripbooks%2C81&sr=1-1
That book has instructions for a Bog Coat - minimal cutting and sewing. Put blocks on a foundation fabric, cut out the neck shape and cut the sleeve line, fold it over and sew. Worth binding the raw edges before sewing the sleeve.
see here for further information
https://www.instructables.com/Quick-and-Easy-Bog-Jacket/

Worth considering if you want to have cotton lining or (as @realale suggested) stitch on to wadding and add a slippery lining which may be more comfortable.

Celia

« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2022, 09:15:24 AM »
Someone mentioned this one on the other sewing bee thread https://www.boden.co.uk/en-gb/embroidered-quilted-jacket/sty-u0060.  For someone with an embroidery machine it is another option. I won’t be doing that one :devil:

Love your jackets @BrendaP real inspiration.

I am a bit stuck on fabrics to use really not sure I have anything suitable and as with all quilting I can’t choose fabric, I have a real mental block. 

What sort of weight fabric do you think is the best, is quilting cotton weight too light?  I have very few non stretch fabrics in my stash.

Iminei

« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2022, 09:45:14 AM »
@Lowena  ... waistcoats dont have sleeves!

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2022, 09:52:15 AM »
Make a nice patchwork gilet then @Iminei !

BrendaP

« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2022, 11:58:59 AM »
waistcoats dont have sleeves!

But they have origami contortion to turn to the right side out!
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.