The Sewing Place

Sewalong for the Patchwork Jacket from the Sewing Bee

Sewingsue

Re: Sewalong for the Patchwork Jacket from the Sewing Bee
« Reply #150 on: June 23, 2022, 12:34:41 PM »
Bleurgh!

@Iminei I would but I'm sure you can do it yourself. If you can do a block of Drunkard's path

AHA!!! But I cant do curved piecing .. so there! :P
Give up TSPers - she has an answer for everything  :laughing:
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #151 on: June 23, 2022, 12:50:46 PM »
OK @Iminei I will PM you and we can see what we can arrange between us!

Iminei

« Reply #152 on: June 23, 2022, 15:11:11 PM »
Bleurgh!

@Iminei I would but I'm sure you can do it yourself. If you can do a block of Drunkard's path

Give up TSPers - she has an answer for everything  :laughing:

Nope, your thinking of Lowena  :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Acorn

« Reply #153 on: June 23, 2022, 15:22:02 PM »

Hmmm.  Can't do curved piecing, eh?

I give you the June 2018 BOM...
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 16:36:57 PM by Acorn »
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Celia

« Reply #154 on: June 23, 2022, 15:57:23 PM »
I am still interested in doing one of these but it’s not at the top of the list YET.

Iminei

« Reply #155 on: June 23, 2022, 16:08:04 PM »
Errrrmmmm .. Yes but there was lots and lots of trimming going on ... those squares were originally 25" sq !!!   :rolleyes:

Iminei

« Reply #156 on: June 24, 2022, 10:47:20 AM »
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

lining for my patchwork jacket ... its a cotton poplin so hopefully slippy enough for the sleeves.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #157 on: June 24, 2022, 17:51:25 PM »
Inspired by the concept of the jacket, but going off piste a bit I have made up 8 panels of patchwork in stretch denim. I've used narrow rectangles of varying length in a random pattern.
As I'm not planning on quilting or lining this, I've sewn and then overlocked all the seams. It has taken hours!
I'm going to cut the pieces out now and sew the jacket up, then I will share it with you.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #158 on: June 25, 2022, 09:23:25 AM »
So for the quilted versions of the jacket it looks like once I've made up the quilt sandwich and sewn the pieces together I need to finish off the inside edges with binding. I've researched it a bit. The option that looked the neatest to me was to bind the inner seams with bias tape, and then hand stitch that down to the backing fabric. It could instead be machine stitched down which shows on the other side as a line of stitching.

When I made a coat from pre quilted fabric I trimmed the seams down leaving just the outer layer of fabric on one side and then folded that over the seam and stitched it down. That looked OK as well I thought.

Iminei

« Reply #159 on: June 25, 2022, 09:29:28 AM »
It could instead be machine stitched down which shows on the other side as a line of stitching.

A line of stitching within a patchwork is no problem at all ... choose a thread that blends in nicely and you'll never notice it!

BrendaP

« Reply #160 on: July 03, 2022, 09:55:59 AM »
In the 'show and tell' at craft club yesterday one of the ladies had a patchwork jacket. 0_0

She said she'd used three small existing quilts to cut the pattern pieces from.  She does teach a group so maybe they were small sample quilts but the colours blended well and there was no attempt to make it symetrical although there was evidence of various different blocks, a row of flying geese and a strip of stripes blending from red and blue to blue and red.  I don't know what pattern she used but it was vaguely kimono shaped with a dropped sleeve.  She had added patch pockets bound with black as was the rest of the jacket. 
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #161 on: July 03, 2022, 11:56:04 AM »
That sounds really lovely!

Celia

« Reply #162 on: July 27, 2022, 13:32:25 PM »
I just borrowed a magazine from the library, I think it is current and thought some of you might find the article on quilted coats interesting.

Here is a link to one of the websites too https://www.rdkc.com/blank-page

I am still planing to do a jacket but probably not until September

There is a pattern in the magazine especially for quilt makers that don’t do garment sewing @Iminei and @Lowena and anyone else
« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 13:36:26 PM by Celia »

Acorn

« Reply #163 on: August 09, 2022, 10:47:04 AM »
I bought a selection of FQs (10) from Janet Clare's new range 'To The Sea' on Saturday.  I didn't have a plan for them, but every time I look at them they yell 'We want to be a jacket!!'

I may need more than 10, because I want a jacket that comes down over my hips.   :thinking:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Iminei

« Reply #164 on: August 09, 2022, 16:39:41 PM »
I met a very modest young girl at the local quilt group last week who showed me pictures of a QJ she made her daughter.

It was superb ... A light coloured jacket with carefully placed quilt blocks ... lots of negative space ... It looked divine, she was very clever!

I'll see if I can persuade her to join us and post some pics.