The Sewing Place

Junes Flash Make! Official Thread! EXTENDED to 14th July!

Sheilago

Re: Junes Flash Make!
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2022, 09:02:20 AM »
@Flobear, if you don’t want to replicate the tile pattern, could you simply find a similar fabric and use it on point to create a similar effect? You could just have one central on point feature square or create a pattern with several small ones. I had a very quick Google and found this : I’m sure you’d find better options.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 09:09:59 AM by Sheilago »

Iminei

« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2022, 09:46:08 AM »
Yes be imaginative ...

That fabric cut and set on point would imitate the tile, then piece a lovely border as simply or as complicated as you wish.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Flobear

« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2022, 13:36:53 PM »
That's a great idea @Sheilago , thank you. Any excuse to go fabric shopping, eh?  :ninja:

I'm just starting to experiment a little with Drunkard's path blocks @StitchinTime . Curved seams hold no terrors for an experienced lightsider and toymaker though I will have to learn to do them without tacking!

Hawaiin (sp?) quilting looks very interesting @Catllar but I don't want to go down the appliqué route for this one. However, it's in the 'Sites to See' folder  :thumb:
« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 13:38:46 PM by Flobear »
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

PBear

« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2022, 16:39:12 PM »
Hi all! I’m getting off the naughty step (for not posting earlier) and joining in the fun!
As soon as I’ve worked out how to resize my photo I’ll show you the tiles that inspired me to have a go at drafting a pattern. I’m really looking forward to seeing what you all are doing.

Pearl

« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2022, 08:34:23 AM »
@PBear , I use the photo editing part of befunky to resize my pics.

I’ve ordered fabric and need to decide how big to make the component parts.  Not too small and fiddly but not so big that the finished piece is too big for a wall-hanging but too small for a quilt.   :thinking:

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2022, 17:18:30 PM »
I'm away for a big chunk of the middle of June, plus I want to do the patchwork jacket sewalong and the one pattern 2 looks, so I thought I'd get on with my June Tile panel.

My 'tiles' are each 4" x 8" and the 'grout' is 5/8". I went for a palette of different shades of blue.
Once its quilted and bound I plan to make it into a simple tote bag with webbing handles.

realale

« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2022, 17:37:00 PM »
I like the look of that @SewRuthieSews. The colours blend well and I like the pattern. Well done  :P
So many beers, so little time.

Pearl

« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2022, 18:59:59 PM »
Very nice, @SewRuthieSews and quick!  I made a quilt like that for the Project Linus challenge one year.

Iminei

« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2022, 10:19:34 AM »
We have an official thread for the Junes Flash Make now
so please post your ideas, progress pics etc on there from now on !! Thank you

SewRuthieSews

Re: TSP's June Flash Make Official Thread
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2022, 10:38:52 AM »
I'm away for a big chunk of the middle of June, plus I want to do the patchwork jacket sewalong and the one pattern 2 looks, so I thought I'd get on with my June Tile panel.

My 'tiles' are each 4" x 8" and the 'grout' is 5/8". I went for a palette of different shades of blue.
Once its quilted and bound I plan to make it into a simple tote bag with webbing handles.

StitchinTime

« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2022, 15:39:30 PM »
A recap from the previous thread:

I’m using an old photo of the hall floor from my childhood home as the starting point for this challenge.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

I knew the tiles were likely made by Maw & Co of Jackfield and via Google I was able to find an old pattern book of their "Geometric and Roman Mosaics Encaustic Tile Pavements". Looking at the pattern book, it would suggest our hall was pattern number 29 but with a slight variation on the border to make it narrower.

Even though there are various options for a quilt block in the main part of the floor, I’ve decided to make the corner embellishment shown in the pattern book and am now drawing the FPP templates for it.

Iminei

« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2022, 18:11:51 PM »
Have you seen the floor of St Pauls Cathedral ??????

As seen on TV (Beebly News/Queens jubilee)

Sheilago

« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2022, 08:40:53 AM »
I’ve been thinking what I could use my tile inspired patchwork for, as I like to have a use for things.  Have decided on a new cushion for the desk chair, so I got started yesterday. It will only be 18” square, but that works as the photo I’m using is a square sample of Glasgow tenement tiles.
I hadn’t thought about ‘grout’ though. Now that I see what  @SewRuthieSews has done, I wonder if I should have done that. Too late: I’ve done enough unpicking already  :laughing:. My seams will just have to represent the grout.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2022, 10:03:10 AM »
@Sheilago, my design was so so simple that it needed the sashing for some interest. It's my first time doing sashing so it gave me a chance to practice doing it. Plus in my inspiration the grout is an obvious contrast colour so it was nice to reflect that.
In most tiling the grout is a background element, well represented by seams I think.

Lachica

« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2022, 10:13:18 AM »
Wow! @StitchinTime fantastic detective work! Looking forward to seeing your finished piece.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.