The Sewing Place

Junes Flash Make! Official Thread! EXTENDED to 14th July!

Flobear

Re: TSP's June Flash Make Official Thread
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2022, 16:45:46 PM »
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

The suggestions I had on the Unofficial fred for my design to complement a wiggly pattern
were to try Drunkard's path, to select a fabric with wiggly designs and/or to quilt wigglily.

I had a little go at the first and found it interesting but feel that on an 8" or 9" block - for a placemat - it doesn't do enough wiggling. The larger one is 3" squares then I reduced the pattern to obtain approx 2" squares. It was also quite tricky to get the pieces nicely square without losing or gaining a bit on one or both of the edges with the joins.

My FMQ skills are not up to lovely neat curlicues - in fact not up to anything at all  :ninja: - so I have ordered some wiggly-ish patterned fabric. A couple in case I don't like one of them.** And if I don't like either, I'll just have to head to Doughty's  :P

eta:
**Actually, 'don't like' won't come into it, they look lovely but if, on seeing them off screen, they're not what I thought, then I will need to find something else. In person. In Doughty's.  ;)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2022, 18:49:02 PM by Flobear »
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Iminei

« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2022, 17:00:06 PM »
You astound me ... Drunkards path no less @Flobear  ... v Impressive!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Acorn

« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2022, 17:15:47 PM »
Which may not be the message you want to send with a gift for your sister!!!   :laughing:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Iminei

Re: Junes Flash Make! Official thread!
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2022, 15:00:44 PM »
OK Ive been cogitating and over the last two days Ive put a block together ... I'm calling it a prototipo as Im thoroughly disgusted with my absolute fail at the mathmatical element ... as per usual! and the resultant mess!

All went well with the middle of the block but Why Oh Why am I  seemingly totally unable to work out the correct measurememts for the border ????

Stupid Stupid Girl ... in the end there was a lot of stretching going on!

Here are my fabrics

Inspiration

Design, with options for the corners

and finally the disappointing result

Bah Bother  :angry:... The inside was OK ... next time I WILL be pressing ALL the seams open as i go but the borders completely stymied me ... for some reason I could not work out the length of the pale strip to save my life .. hence the multiple joins....@BrendaP

Working on a 1" grid didnt help that much ... The inside bits were made of 2" components but those HSTs in the corners are 1" sq (well theyre supposed to be)  :headbang:

How are yours going ????

« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 06:46:59 AM by Iminei »

Flobear

Re: Junes Flash Make!
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2022, 18:58:31 PM »
Trial and Improvement is a Great Thing @Iminei . It looks really good despite the shortcomings.

I'm waiting for my fabric to arrive.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Deafoldbat

« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2022, 19:05:12 PM »
I could not work out the length of the pale strip

Squares 2-7 on your diagram, finished size added together, then add ½inch for seam allowances , ie length plus ½", height plus ½", then cut a square for each end, put it ws together, sew across the diagonal, and flip to check the size. Trim the excess. Or do what you did and make HST squares for each end.

BrendaP

« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2022, 19:12:13 PM »
@Iminei

There are a couple of problems I can think of.

When you cut HSTs (and work with 1/4 inch seam allowances) you add 7/8 inches (0.875") to the finished length of the triangle to get the size of the starting square.

Did you make the small brown HSTs from 2" x 2" squares and then trim? or did you cut from 1 7/8" x 1 7/8" ?

The long side of those triangles should be 1.414"  (Just believe me or work it out using the sine of 45 degrees)

That means that the bigger HSTs should be cut from squares that are 1.414" plus the seam allowances so add 0.875".
1.414" + 0.875" = 2.289" square.  Did you start with a 2.5" square and trim down?

The white squares and the patterned one in the centre should measure 1.414" finished so should be cut 1.914" x 1.914.  You can't cut bigger and trim down though a scant 2" x 2" would probably work.  Cutting a full  2" x 2" would mean stretching the long bias side of the HSTs.

Once you get to the borders and corner HSTs - the HSTs should be the same size as the smaller ones;
cut from 1 7/8" x 1 7/8"  or cut from 2" x 2" and trimmed. 
Did you trim them accurately using the 45 degree line on your ruler? 
The borders should be cut 1.5" wide and 4.5" long.

Bottom line is that it's down to accuracy of cutting and accuracy of sewing.

Aside from the measurements;  this is a prototype so doesn't matter but I think that the fussy cut centre square looks good but I would choose a different fabric for the corners.  To my eye having the printed pattern cut in different parts of the repeat looks messy.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

BrendaP

« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2022, 19:20:33 PM »
@Iminei

The long side of those triangles should be 1.414"  (Just believe me or work it out using the sine of 45 degrees)

That means that the bigger HSTs should be cut from squares that are 1.414" plus the seam allowances so add 0.875".
1.414" + 0.875" = 2.289" square.  Did you start with a 2.5" square and trim down?

I've just noticed that your diagram shows the larger triangles as QSTs.  The cutting for them would be easier because you add 1 1/4 inches to the finished long side.  Cut those QSTs from 3.25" x 3.25".
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Iminei

Re: Junes Flash Make! Official Thread!
« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2022, 07:08:52 AM »
?????????????????????????????????????  :faints:

Well that was all gobbledgook to me (Just WHY am I so Stupid???)

Ill tell you how I did it.
All sizes cut and unfinished (and there wont be any of those  .7845 things in it!)

Middle Sq in sq ... 2" inner square + 2 x "1/2" sqs cut of the diagonal.

Star Points are QST's

Four HSTs made with 3 1/2" sqs of Light and Dark Brown fabric
Two HSTs made with 3 1/2" sqs of Light and Terracotta fabric

Then mixed and matched to make Four mixed QSTs measuring 2 1/2"

Outer Sq in sq as above

So far so simple ... Then the &8**$$!!!*** Border

Outer 1 1/2" HSTs were made by cutting them from two sewn strips of pale and dark brown fabric, placing the 45degree angle along the centre seam ... If you see what I mean.

I agree about the border feature corner .. I'll be changing that to the terracotta next time.

Im hoping to set the 'tiles' on point for the actual item.

Sheilago

« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2022, 09:09:15 AM »
Your block looks lovely to me @Iminei , though I agree that the corner blocks would look better in terracotta.

I have not had much sewing time recently , but have finished the top of my tiles inspired cushion. I’m  not actually sure I’ll like it as a cushion, but it’ll do for the computer chair. As you’ll see , I had a go at a simplified version of the pattern in free motion. The rest is just quilted in the ditch to suggest tiles. I’ll post another picture when I get it completed.

StitchinTime

« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2022, 13:18:49 PM »
This is what I managed to do over the weekend. What isn’t shown is the cursing and unpicking that occurred between the two photos when I realised the triangles were facing the wrong way.

Pearl

« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2022, 16:27:01 PM »
I ordered fabric for my tile on 30th May.  The fabric from Pelenna Patchwork arrived on 1st June.  I’m still waiting for the fabric from Doughty’s.  I’ve emailed them but haven’t had a reply.  Not sure I’ll be able to do this in the time frame.   :cry:

« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 18:49:31 PM by Iminei »

Acorn

« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2022, 17:01:47 PM »
I placed an order with Doughty's on Friday and have had the despatch notification email today, so it might be worth phoning them to see what's happening.   :[
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lowena

« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2022, 17:01:53 PM »
@Pearl I've stopped buying from Doughtys online as I've always found them to be very slow.Pelenna are always excellent
I've done no sewing for ages as I have been very busy outside. Hopefully I'll start this week as I have the fabrics
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Iminei

« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2022, 18:49:44 PM »
I ordered fabric for my tile on 30th May.  The fabric from Pelenna Patchwork arrived on 1st June.  I’m still waiting for the fabric from Doughty’s.  I’ve emailed them but haven’t had a reply.  Not sure I’ll be able to do this in the time frame.   :cry:

Call them, theyre very helpful and friendly ....