The Sewing Place

Junes Flash Make! Official Thread! EXTENDED to 14th July!

Iminei

Re: Junes Flash Make! Official Thread!
« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2022, 17:36:29 PM »
Another frustrating day but with a slightly better result ... BUT I still buggered up the borders!!!   :angry:

Thanks to @BrendaP  for the heads up about scrapping the HSTs .. I used her method this time round for those outer HSTs

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Its smaller than the first attempt as I cut the centre sqs of the sq in sq at 1 7/8ths and with borders comes out at a beautiful 8" square which is no use to man nor beast as I forgot to cut the borders with a decent seam allowance on BOTH edges (WHY??? :headbang:)

and this is how I will be laying them, if there ever are a them, out

Just like the inspiration ...

... and the perenial problem of having to find more fabric will soon rear its ugly head and of course these were FQs so no selvage !

Still I know where and when I bought them so will be giving them a ring. possibly with an envelope with some samples in winging their way.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2022, 17:40:53 PM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Iminei

« Reply #61 on: June 20, 2022, 08:15:33 AM »
The blocks are coming together much more easily now and Ive got 4 which I think is enough.

Linky to Album

Ive given up on the HSTs at the end of the outer borders and am just going to have a 1" sq in the terracotta.
For the inset triangles, Im thinking of a 1" finished checkerboard, on point, of creams, beiges and off whites ... strip piecing with be the way to go with this I think

Im going to make a long banner type wall hanging out of this, similar I suppose to a tiled corridor.

Does anyone know how or where I can print off 1" squared paper so I can draw out my design without having to draw out the grid first ????

How is everyone else doing?? @PBear ??
« Last Edit: June 20, 2022, 08:21:02 AM by Iminei »

Flobear

« Reply #62 on: June 20, 2022, 08:21:14 AM »
You can google squared paper and download a pdf. I will try and find a link. Here's one I've used. Lots of choices:

https://www.papersnake.com

and here's another one I've used:

https://www.waterproofpaper.com/free-printables.shtml

I shall report on my progress shortly.

'Don't call me Shortly.' 0_0
« Last Edit: June 20, 2022, 08:26:32 AM by Flobear »
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

StitchinTime

« Reply #63 on: June 20, 2022, 08:32:55 AM »
Mine is finished - I just need to take a photo.

Flobear

« Reply #64 on: June 20, 2022, 10:00:42 AM »
This is where I'm at. Place-mats for sis-in-Wales-not-Plosh.

It's taking ages because I had to order fabric and plan out quite a few designs. Two-colour blocks are obviously limited. I sort of invented one of my own and it ended up needing 1 and 3/8 inch squares to plan it on  :faints:  When the going got too much I made a couple of BOM blocks from 2021 which held me up a bit  :D

Yesterday I started a practice go and learnt that planning Economy Flying Geese is trickier than it looks!

« Last Edit: June 20, 2022, 10:04:51 AM by Flobear »

Iminei

« Reply #65 on: June 21, 2022, 07:58:13 AM »
Loving your fabrics @Flobear

and thanks for the link to the paper!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 08:00:25 AM by Iminei »

PBear

« Reply #66 on: June 21, 2022, 13:03:44 PM »
Ive been playing with my layout!
I’ve drawn out a plan for the whole photo which I like but don’t think I have the time or patience to make! So I’m currently sketching out the plan for the central square -should be drawn up by this afternoon and if it works then cutting will commence tomorrow!

Iminei

« Reply #67 on: June 21, 2022, 15:50:30 PM »
Ive run out of one of my fabrics for the border .. I bought it at the time we went to Paulines @PBear  but they say its all gone now  :angry:

Its the most Mid West Mid Century Mid Americana fabric there can possibly be and of course I have nothing remotely like it in my stash ... nor do I have diesel to go searching for it!

This is the last strip I have which is 1" wide and I need 1 1/2" strips ... only a few to complete the borders ... A FQ wpuld be more than enough failing that Six  7" x 1 3/4" strips would do (I think)

Diane

« Reply #68 on: June 21, 2022, 16:04:04 PM »
How about putting up a post on facebook, someone might have some in their stash
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

toileandtrouble

« Reply #69 on: June 21, 2022, 16:44:50 PM »
@Iminei  Even if they have sold out, can they tell you what range it came from?  They might have another colourway to give you a clue.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Iminei

« Reply #70 on: June 21, 2022, 17:31:45 PM »
Done both ...

PP were quite short with me on the phone over this to the point that I thought they were rude ... consequently I wont be buying the 4+ metres of backing fabric for Heathies memory quilt from them ...

Flobear

« Reply #71 on: June 22, 2022, 14:09:33 PM »
Finally, I have a toile practice block that worked!

It's 8 and 7 eighths unfinished so will be between 8 and 9 ins as requested when all done and dusted.

Surrounding the square are many Flying Geese that failed to fledge - or didn't even hatch out! The numerous paper geese are consigned to the recycling bag. I ran out of the dark flowery fabric so had to use the other one in the same colourway. The dismembered birds round the edges look a bit alarming but the Proper Job will not be using creatures of any description  ;)

Iminei

« Reply #72 on: June 22, 2022, 17:36:17 PM »
Been 'tiling' the outside inset triangles today ... Still mithering about the border fabric. I do have another fabric that might be able to be interposed amongst the original ... but not much of that either.

Have been working out how to piece the piece .. set as it is en pointe ... and strangely have been enjoying myself sitting sewing in my coolish dining room.

mudcat

« Reply #73 on: June 22, 2022, 19:45:43 PM »
That looks lovely @Flobear.  Too much fiddling for me but I like it. This is why I'm not a real quilter ... I can't figure out how to do values correctly.

Flobear

« Reply #74 on: June 22, 2022, 22:01:42 PM »
Thank you @mudcat. I enjoy a challenge and figuring out how to make things the right size to create the pattern I want. In the end it came down to trial and error improvement as you can see by the number of failed geese  :D