The Sewing Place

Junes Flash Make! Official Thread! EXTENDED to 14th July!

Iminei

Re: Junes Flash Make! Official Thread!
« Reply #75 on: June 23, 2022, 07:35:39 AM »
Flying geese can be a nightmare ... its essential you square them up using the 45 degree angle on a ... preferably correct size for your geese, ie 6 1/2" or smaller ... ruler BUT once you 'get' them they can be a source of great joy AND there more than one way to pluck a goose!

Progress chez Imi ....

Ive laid out the components and also the alternative fabric for those fakokta borders ... I think I have enough of this to complete the piece so ... What do we think @peeps ????

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

All pics in the album

I will be putting some border round the whole thing to and might have a surprise left in me too!

One week left Peeps ... ONE WEEK LEFT ... (said ala annoying Sarah person on Sewing Bee!)
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Flobear

« Reply #76 on: June 23, 2022, 09:54:04 AM »
Looks perfect @Iminei  :thumb:

I love Flying Geese, have done ever since I first made one. Never have trouble squaring them up using the 45° angle - I was trained by a Master Craftswoman  ;) - it was just working out the right size to cut for the economy version that had me going round in circles. There's probably a formula as they appear to be based on HST / QSTs.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Iminei

« Reply #77 on: June 23, 2022, 10:11:37 AM »
According to Lynne Edwards who details the no waste method for Flying geese

the large squares of fabric for the FG should be cut 1 1/4" larger than the finished size of the individual geese ...
you then cut the smaller sqs 7/8" larger than the smaller measurement of the goose

Ie for a 6" x 3" (finished) goose cut The large sqs at 7 1/4" sq  and the smaller sqs (which are sewn into the corners) at 3 7/8" sq

I know these arent the measurements I have down in my tutorial but that could be because she is mixing finished sizes with cut sizes  ... what I do know is that I used MY measurements in the Sapphire star tutorial and the Geese came out the right size so ... Who knows?!

@Flobear @BrendaP @Deafoldbat @Pearl @anyone ... What do you think about the alternative fabric for the borders ???
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 10:16:47 AM by Iminei »

Flobear

« Reply #78 on: June 23, 2022, 10:15:42 AM »

Lowena

« Reply #79 on: June 23, 2022, 11:29:30 AM »
Not sure why I didn't get a mention.....I do still frequent the Darkside  :P
Looks ok to me, although it looks very white on the screen against the cream sashing
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 11:32:29 AM by Lowena »
Triumph of hope over experience :D

PBear

« Reply #80 on: June 23, 2022, 16:39:34 PM »
I’ve drawn up my middle square and measured and remeasured to the point where I have the components all ready to sew. However on Tuesday I tested positive with COVID so have no access to my sewing machine (I’m banished to upstairs and sewing machine is downstairs). I’m going to try to set up something to put my smaller machine on and then fingers crossed I can finish my block in time! It’s lovely to see all the inspirational tiles and planning  - mine were from a row of houses which we often pass. They were built with the tiles in the porches but gradually they are being revamped and the lovely old open porches removed. There are also wall tiles in the same porches but that’s a whole other project (appliqué I think) 

mudcat

« Reply #81 on: June 23, 2022, 17:27:57 PM »
Wow @PBear

I really like that.  It would make an excellent tile floor design.

Sheilago

« Reply #82 on: June 23, 2022, 20:47:26 PM »
Love your blocks @Iminei and the new border fabric looks good . That’s one of things I like about scrappy quilts: no worries about running out of a certain fabric. The more fabrics the better :laughing:
@PBear , love your inspiration blocks. I look forward to seeing the result.

We’ve been in Donegal - a last minute trip to take advantage of the good weather. We’ve had a lovely time,but I’ve made no progress on my cushion since I quilted the top. Hope I’ll get it finished just in time for the end of the month. :D
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 20:51:44 PM by Sheilago »

Flobear

« Reply #83 on: June 24, 2022, 09:31:55 AM »
First block done. Now I have to make it into a placemat and make three more plus a bigger one for the centre of the table.

Luckily, the placemats will be far enough away from the wall for the colours not to look too awful. Hope the colours won't offend my sister's artistic sensibilities!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 09:37:08 AM by Flobear »

Acorn

« Reply #84 on: June 24, 2022, 09:38:56 AM »
Excellent @Flobear - that fabric's an incredible match, too.   :thumb:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Iminei

« Reply #85 on: June 24, 2022, 15:29:48 PM »
Ok, 3 Quilting emporia within a reasonable radius scavenged through .. Other QE screenshotted, FA quilters implored to look through their stashes and all I can come up with are a couple of FQ s of Bumbleberries!!!

What do we think Peeps ???

I might try a tea dye on a small piece too ...

The previous alternative offering has green in it which, to my eye, makes it look dirty. Im running out of patience with this .. and time!

Lowena

« Reply #86 on: June 24, 2022, 16:34:21 PM »
Looks preferable to me  :thumb:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

StitchinTime

« Reply #87 on: June 24, 2022, 16:58:14 PM »
@Iminei I’ve found this in my stash, but it might be too orange.

Sheilago

« Reply #88 on: June 24, 2022, 19:37:17 PM »
You’re being too critical @Iminei . All the blocks look great and are a perfect representation of the tiles.Certainly don’t think you need to tea dye.
@Flobear your mats will look great. If your sister likes her tiles, she’ll surely love your matching mats- they’re a lovely colour match for the tiles  :D

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #89 on: June 24, 2022, 22:39:01 PM »
I see we have 6 days of June left, so if I want to finish my project I'd better get it back out again and work on it a bit more.