The Sewing Place

Thoughts on June contest - feedback please

SewRuthieSews

Thoughts on June contest - feedback please
« on: May 24, 2022, 20:24:05 PM »
Hello folks, its not long until the end of May so I've been thinking about the June contest.

On the schedule it is due to be
"June – One pattern, two looks - how different can you make two garments from the same pattern look?"

Is this something that gets you excited?

If you also read on the Darkside you will have seen Iminei's TSP Darkside 1st Flash Make JUNE 2022.

These can happen at the same time if the Members would like both. Or we could postpone One pattern, two looks until another time.

Please let me know you thoughts on this.

Thanks Ruth

Lachica

Re: Thoughts on June contest - feedback please
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2022, 20:31:47 PM »
I won't be able to enter anything until September as have quite a full calendar until then. If one of the garments could be already made it might be easier for people to join in. Just a suggestion.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Ouryve

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2022, 22:28:00 PM »
As a pure light sider in need of some summery tops, I already have my one pattern 2 looks makes planned around filling in this awful form (yuck!) and my parents visiting (yay!)
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2022, 09:36:14 AM »
Great idea @SewRuthieSews , just wondering where I'll find the time. 

The VAT return is due though, so I'll have to have a think. :thinking:

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2022, 11:50:13 AM »
I like the idea of a one pattern two looks.  Might be useful to show  that you don’t need loads of patterns.  Bit of economising in these times when everything is going up in price. 

Helen M

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2022, 11:52:23 AM »
It isn't for me I'm afraid as I rarely make things twice straight away. T shirts maybe, but I've plenty of those for some reason just now.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 72

Flobear

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2022, 14:56:54 PM »
I wouldn't be entering as I have plenty of UFOs to be going on with!
I might, just might, be tempted by the Tiling block as one of the **NSOs is a set of 4 placemats for my sister's recently tiled kitchen.

**Not-started objects
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Ploshkin

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2022, 08:47:18 AM »
Summer is not my sewing season, too much to do outside, so I would be unlikely to partake.  I could possibly get one garment completed but definitely not two.
Life's too short for ironing.

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2022, 09:59:41 AM »
I could probably do this but I might need longer to complete 2 different garments as we’ll be away some of the time.

Could it be extended and cover July?

Also, I think it shouldn’t matter if you’ve made or started something previously and that could apply to all the competitions to allow for more entries? Presumably, there was a particular reason that you can only start and finish an item in the specified month but there are fewer members making clothes now so maybe the rules could be re-visited?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2022, 10:04:21 AM by WildAtlanticWay »

Helen M

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2022, 10:40:47 AM »
Maybe we should have a UFO month, even on something you've only cut out and left for whatever reason?

I pretty much only make clothes so other areas don't appeal.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 72

Ouryve

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2022, 12:38:39 PM »
I could make multiple entries into a UFO month  :laughing:
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Kwaaked

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2022, 13:12:18 PM »
Doesn't matter to me, I've got a professional competition I need to work on, crazy family stuff going on and a business I am running.  I am hit or miss on contests usually anyway.  As in I rarely enter them, even when I do the garment.

I would not do a UFO month; I have no UFOs.

Whatever works for others is fine with me.

realale

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2022, 13:13:23 PM »
At this time of year, and with all that is going on in my life, I'm not sure I could manage two items in a month - I haven't sewn anything for almost a fortnight now!! Perhaps extend the deadline?
Of course if it was last month I made 2 tops from the same pattern and they both looked totally different to each other!!  0_0
So many beers, so little time.