The Sewing Place

Where do I go from here?

Puzzler

Where do I go from here?
« on: May 27, 2022, 17:51:06 PM »
I popped into a sewing machine shop today to check out the Bernina 475. I am after a 5.5mm max stitch width. I was surprised that a machine costing £1,500 featured 5.5 so had to see it.

The same shop sold me a Juki DX7 which I didn’t really use properly until lockdown. I had all sorts of issues with it. The engineer actually drove out and collected it to see what was going on. He couldn’t replicate the problem I was encountering and he declared the machine perfect. I tried to get on with it but despite many peeps waxing lyrical about this machine, I didn’t like it and it was sold.

Same salesman showed me the Bernie and it sound okay on a slow speed but once he increased it, the machine was like a lumbering lorry. I didn’t even bother to have a go on it myself. He confirmed what I already knew. These machines are not like they used to be. So too, according to the salesman, are the Janomes and Brothers. They don’t sell Pfaff but I expect he’d have the same opinion about them. The best machine he could recommend was the one I had sold and I certainly won’t be buying another one. He then showed me a Britannia for less than £600 and thought that would do me. He said it was better than many other higher spec machines. I wasn’t impressed with the stitching or the buttonhole (which he deemed wonderful) so won’t be opting for that either.

Apart from the stitch width - and I would compromise on a 7mm - I want a needle up/down button and a knee lift. Good harp space would be nice. I am primarily sewing clothes, the odd soft furnishing item and would like to have a go at bag making some day. I may do some more quilting/appliqué too.

What I took away today was there isn’t a decent machine out there for me, unless I want to spend 2.5K+. Can’t afford anything like that. I was hoping to spend a grand or less because I don’t need so many bells & whistles nor 650 stitches.

BrendaP

Re: Where do I go from here?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2022, 19:11:40 PM »
What about a reconditioned older model.  Not really vintage, just something solid and well made such as a Bernina from a few years ago that someone has traded in for a ££££££ model.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Puzzler

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2022, 19:30:29 PM »
I already have two of those. One is a 9mm which I don’t care to use for dressmaking. The other is an old, but not quite vintage, mechanical. It doesn’t have needle up/down or knee lift.  I know people argue that one doesn’t need a knee lift but I came to depend on it after decades of using it. I also have a Singer 221. Would really like a more modern machine but they all appear to have drawbacks.

Celia

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2022, 09:30:18 AM »
I think I know what you mean, I have worked with sewing machines for quite a long time and have both used and at times taught lots of different makes and models.

It is really hard to find a good machine aimed at the mainly dressmaking market, at a reasonable price.

I have not been impressed with some of the newer Berninas.

As far as machines are concerned the love of my life is my Janome HD9 previously the 1600 BUT this is only a straight stitch machine.  Last year in a fit of I deserve a treat I bought a Janome 6700, I do love this machine but my idea was to sell all of the other and have this one only. 

When it came to it I could not part with the HD9, it is still way better on a day to day basis than the 6700 for straight stitch , it sews without adjustment on anything from chiffon up to upholstery weight.  The 6700 will do it but it takes much more fiddling about and checking swapping plates etc. also the quality of the feet is way better on the HD9.

So I did not achieve  much as I still have too many machines, Janome HD9, 6700, Bernina 350 and Husqvarna Tooaz 40. 

The Bernina 350 is a lovely machine which has the feel of the older Berninas but of course it is a very small machine

I do admit that when I am dressmaking I use my overlocker for an awful lot of what I make.

Hope some of this ramble helps.  Do let us know how you progress

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2022, 09:40:02 AM »
Hello @Puzzler  ... Welcome Home (I hope that doesnt sound too patronising)

Im sorry to hear youve still not found the machine of your dreams ... Maybe a visit to a show will give you more scope, @PBear  swears by a lil sewing shop in Southbourne (??) where she bought her Atelier ... I dont know which other makes they stock but strongly think that a show might be the best idea as shops can only stock a limited range.

What have you been doing with your time, sewing wise? Are you up for joining in with the Quilted Jacket that many of us, Lightsiders and Darksiders (if I can figure out the putting it together bit) alike are thinking of making?

Whatever Its lovely to see you back xxx
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

KayK

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2022, 16:47:38 PM »
@Puzzler
I feel your pain!
I too had the dreaded Juki DX7 - it went back after a week, hated it.  I swapped it for the Bernina 475, which although pretty decent for the money, was too small and a wee bit fussy (the bobbin was  devil to put in the case) - a friend bought it as she has its very big brother and she takes it to classes.  I then went mad and purchased a Janome 6700P (same as @Celia)and have to say I am not in love with this machine either!  The 9mm is really too wide for me, although I really love the knee lift, needle up down and large harp area.  I love my Juki (straight stitch only  TL98p) which does what is says on the tin, and I have a little 3 series Bernina to take to classes, purchased second hand which does the trick, but I would not like long sessions on it!

I have also been using (and I know a lot of people out there positively hate them) a 1960's Singer Touch and Sew - this is all metal, made in Germany, cost me £30 and sews beautifully!  Wonderful neat straight stitches, can use the piping foot right up to the piping, and does free motion well too!

However, I have seen, and am considering a 'Jack' small industrial machine - this does straight stitch, zig-zag, free motion, up to 5.5mm.  Is all metal bodied, has a direct drive motor (not one of those huge noisy things that hangs underneath) and doesn't need you to oil it, as it has its own closed sump)  It has a knee lift, a needle up/down and it comes in a table!

Jack machine

Not a bad price either - I've watched a couple of YouTube videos, and seems pretty good if you don't want bells and whistles and bossiness!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 16:49:13 PM by KayK »
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Acorn

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2022, 17:01:18 PM »
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Iminei

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2022, 17:33:45 PM »
Me Miss, Please Miss ... Hand waving furiously in the air

The 9mm is really too wide for me ..... I am after a 5.5mm max stitch width.

Whats the fuss about the stitch width???

Surely if you have a 9mm you can do a 5.5 mm, but not if you only have a 4.5 mm ???

Someone please enlighten me ???
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Puzzler

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2022, 08:11:01 AM »
Re stitch width: For the type of sewing I do, mainly dressmaking, I want the control a 5.5mm gives me. I know you do great piecing on your 9mm machine, Imi, but do you not need to change the stitch plate, use a different foot or change the needle position? Having tried out a 9mm, I would need to buy a straight stitch foot plate and a different foot which would cover half the feed dogs (correct me if I am wrong, Celia) to achieve more control when, say, top stitching a garment made from viscose fabric. The 9mm is ace for decorative stitching and I suspect would be good for heavier materials like canvas if I want to make a substantial bag, for instance. For every day sewing 5.5 is my preference.

@KayK, the Jack looks interesting. The knee lift appears to control the width of the zigzag. I have a friend who had a Brother industrial, I think, with the same feature. It takes some getting used to. I want the knee lift to raise and lower the foot. I also loved the feature on my previous Bernina when you could tap your heel on the foot pedal and raise or lower the needle. The one feature I did like on the Juki was when the foot would pop up when you stopped sewing, allowing you to pivot. I found I didn’t need or use the knee lift when using that machine. I gave the Juki far more than a week’s trial. I really did try to love it but couldn’t get on with it. I had a fiddle with the bobbin case of the Bernina 475 and I know exactly what you mean. I was also surprised the bobbin itself was plastic, albeit not that cheap clear plastic that Juki, Brother, Janome et al use.

@Celia, I love a straight stitch machine but although Janome and Juki make a good one, they are soooo expensive. My featherweight is brilliant and I wouldn’t mind sourcing a metal bodied 201 for heavier sewing to go along with it. Most of my sewing is straight stitching. I use an overlocker for finishing seams.

@Iminei, I am on a mission to make some desperately needed clothing. So much of what I wear is old, tatty, stained and just too big. Quilted garments are not my thing, I am afraid, so won’t be participating in this particular challenge. Boxy garments don’t suit me either and I was advised years ago to avoid geometric patterns. Looks like a fun project though and I will look forward to seeing the results of others.

Celia

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2022, 10:33:56 AM »
You are correct about the need to change plates feet etc @Puzzler on the 9.00 mm machines especially if you want to to stitch on various fabrics after overlockering them.

This is a technique I use a lot, also the reason that I am not quite so in love with my 6700 although for I am not sorry I have it.  I really haven’t tried top stitch on my small Bernina, I have a feeling it would cope quite well as the foot etc is very small but sturdy. Just the harp width is not great. I haven’t used it in a while,  so I might try it soon and will report back.

@KayK I  the idea of an industrial but somehow the look puts me off and I do move my machines around the house quite a bit.  What has put you off the 6700? I know you were quite keen on it.?

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2022, 11:36:50 AM »
I am confused too (sits with @Iminei ).
When you say stitch width do you mean the width of the stitch?  Or are we talking something else here which I have managed to miss completely  :laughing:
I can adjust my machine  to whatever stitch width I want it to be for stitches or move the needle to whatever position width wise I want it to be at.  I really feel I am missing something!
I feel the need for a dunces hat emoji
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Puzzler

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2022, 12:26:33 PM »
I can adjust my machine  to whatever stitch width I want it to be

You can have your zigzag or other decorative stitch as wide as the feed dogs and your presser foot will allow.

The photo illustrates the difference between a presser foot for a 9mm vs a 5.5mm (or perhaps my Bernina 801 is even narrower - haven’t measure it but definitely not more than 5.5).

Celia

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2022, 12:32:25 PM »
I think the problem with the wider width machines is more to do with the way they feed the fabric, especially fine fabrics. Some machines come with different plates to help to alleviate this problem and for some machines you can buy them separately but it still doesn’t make them the same as a 5.5mm.

Not sure if I have explained that properly but hope it might help.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2022, 12:57:34 PM »
That Jack machine looks lovely, I'd love to try one, but no chance of finding one anywhere near me!

Helen M

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2022, 12:58:25 PM »
I'm a bit confused as well. My machine is a Janome mechanical (has had numerous names over the yearsand is described by many as a workhorse) and is I think 7mm. I have done dressmaking with heavy and very light fabrics without any problems. For a light fabric I reduce the pressure on the foot.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 72