The Sewing Place

Where do I go from here?

Stitchalot

Re: Where do I go from here?
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2022, 13:35:25 PM »
Me Miss, Please Miss ... Hand waving furiously in the air

The 9mm is really too wide for me ..... I am after a 5.5mm max stitch width.

Whats the fuss about the stitch width???

Surely if you have a 9mm you can do a 5.5 mm, but not if you only have a 4.5 mm ???

Someone please enlighten me ???
The main issue with a 9mm machine is that the feed dogs are further apart and changing the needle plate or the foot doesn’t help. It means when stitching close to the edge of the fabric there is less control and traction with the feed dogs. It’s also much more tricky to stitch tight curves. I use a 9mm machine for most things, but there are times when my old 5.5mm machine has to come out to get the control and accuracy needed for intricate things.

Stitchalot

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2022, 13:43:06 PM »
The main issue with a 9mm machine is that the feed dogs are further apart and changing the needle plate or the foot doesn’t change that. It means when stitching close to the edge of the fabric there is less control and traction with the feed dogs. It’s also much more tricky to stitch tight curves. I use a 9mm machine for most things, but there are times when my old 5.5mm machine has to come out to get the control and accuracy needed for intricate things.

Sorry - tried to slightly modify above post and it started a new one!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 13:47:15 PM by Stitchalot »

Celia

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2022, 13:49:37 PM »
The main issue with a 9mm machine is that the feed dogs are further apart and changing the needle plate or the foot doesn’t help. It means when stitching close to the edge of the fabric there is less control and traction with the feed dogs. It’s also much more tricky to stitch tight curves. I use a 9mm machine for most things, but there are times when my old 5.5mm machine has to come out to get the control and accuracy needed for intricate things.

A much better description than mine :loveit:

Surest1tch

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2022, 21:26:06 PM »
I'm seriously tempted by that Jack but I really daren't. I've got too many machines as it is (if that's ever possible) including a lockstitch industrial!
I've spent a lot of hours over the last few days trying to move the furniture and make more space in my sewing room hoping that would give me some motivation to get back in there as it tends to get used as a dumping ground much to my chagrin. There's a lot more shifting to do yet but my biggest problem is where to put my machines and deciding if I should put a lock on the door to keep dumpers out  :rant:.

KayK

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2022, 20:38:17 PM »
Well, the Janome has been sold, and now I really don't know what to do!  Thinking of doing nothing, but having the straight stitch Juki serviced and the foot pedal looked at, as it is hard to keep a steady speed.  Will stick with the diddy Bernina, and will put the Jack to the back of my mind!
So, @Puzzler - I don't know what to do either!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

annierose

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2022, 13:36:06 PM »
Hello, I don't often post, but hope this might be helpful. I have just bought a Janome atelier 7, which goes up to a 9mm stitch width. List price is £1500.
I am a dressmaker, and it has some lovely features. If you've seen the thread above, you'll know it was just the needle threader that is faulty and needs sorting out - the machine itself is a joy to use.
There are 2 cheaper models in the range, but I don't know what width they go up to.
The very helpful shop that I bought from pointed out that the 7 has all the features that dressmakers need, and the 'top of the range' machine is only worth the extra grand for embroidery.
I tried the equivalent Juki that the engineer said was, in his opinion, stronger and easier to service, but I did not like it at all.
Hope you find something that suits!

Puzzler

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2022, 08:24:26 AM »
I have just bought a Janome atelier 7, which goes up to a 9mm stitch width.

Alas, it is a 9mm machine which I definitely do not want. I think I will soon be sorted but thank you anyway. The Juki equivalent that I had bought originally was 7mm.

I read somewhere that most machines today are being purchased by quilters rather than dressmakers. This must account for the number of quilter’s edition sewing machines on the market and must effect the decision to include wider stitch widths.

annierose

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2022, 14:27:52 PM »
Sorry, I misunderstood! I have re-read.
I don't do such tricky work (original mild clumsiness and later arthritis mean I stick to the basics). The machine does have a 'straight needle plate' which I believe is for such situations, but I am still getting to know it. It also has, to my delight a 'curve stitch'. Indeed, my advancing arthritis was one reason for getting a more 'steady' machine.
I have become aware that the 'craft' side of sewing has become more popular - it is reflected in the fabric shops as well

Iminei

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2022, 14:40:11 PM »
Yes, I was delighted to find the straight stitch plate when I got The Splurgess home !!  :D
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Puzzler

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2022, 15:22:15 PM »
Sorry, I misunderstood! I have re-read.
I don't do such tricky work (original mild clumsiness and later arthritis mean I stick to the basics)…. Indeed, my advancing arthritis was one reason for getting a more 'steady' machine.

No worries!

It’s nice to know these machines provide accessibility as we age and struggle with arthritis etc.

Celia

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2022, 14:05:47 PM »
I said I would report back on top stitching over an overlocker seam on fairly thick stretch fabric with the Bernina 350 can I just say I spent 20 minutes unpicking it and re stitching on my Janome straight stitch machine :laughing:

I think it would be fine on a thinner fabric, also if I didn’t have the SS machine I might not be too critical but the difference in the look of the stitch was very real.

Non of this helps me get rid of any of my machines, maybe one day. :thinking:

KayK

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2022, 09:41:49 AM »
The straight stitch Juki has gone off to 'Sewing Machine Steve' - I have asked for the speedy foot pedal to be looked at, also to see if the foot lift can go any higher,  a new light bulb to be fitted, the feed dog up/down lever to be un-stiffened (it takes me all my strength and I have to stand up to shift it!) and a general service, although I always clean and oil my machines regularly.  I am missing it already!

The Bernina has had to act as a stand in, and has done very well, but I am finding it very dinky - DH asked me if it was a toy!!  I am missing the needle up/down and the thread cutter terribly on the Juki and the since sold Janome 6700P (I think that's the only thing I miss on the Janome!)

I have decided to donate two of my oldies but goodies to Tools With A Mission - they work perfectly but I feel they could be better used, SO I am still in a quandary as to what to do!

I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Puzzler

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2022, 08:53:33 AM »
Well folks, I think I am sorted for the foreseeable. I purchased a lovely, lightly used Bernina 570 which is in pristine condition. It involved a quick flit to Cornwall, rather an extravagance with the cost of fuel now but so worth it. I would have regretted passing this up. I plan to go through the very comprehensive manual today to learn how to work the main functions. I am already accustomed to Bernina features such as the front loading bobbin. The 570 was originally produced with the 5.5 mm feed dogs but a short while later Bernina brought out a new version that had 9mm feed dogs and a couple of other things like dual feed. This seemed like the perfect fit as it ticked all the boxes including knee lift and the ability to tap the back of the foot pedal to raise the needle. A few added bonuses came with it such as the BSR gadget, handy for free motion quilting. It just might tempt me back to the dark side.  ;). The owner included other things such as a straight stitch plate, extra bobbins and a lovely cover she had made for it. The machine doesn’t include Bernina foot 10, the edge stitch foot, which I use frequently. Happily, I have a foot 10 from another Bernina that fits so am well pleased.  :D

Ellabella

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2022, 09:24:57 AM »
Sounds like a very satisfactory conclusion @Puzzler , may it give you many years of sterling service.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2022, 11:22:31 AM by Ellabella »

Cazlyn

« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2022, 10:02:25 AM »
Sound like a great purchase, enjoy playing today.
Crafting is my happy place