The Sewing Place

Where do I go from here?

Celia

Re: Where do I go from here?
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2022, 11:10:09 AM »
Well done @Puzzler i am certain that will be a really good machine for you, I have only test driven a BSR foot but I remembering being  fascinated by it when they first came out.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2022, 11:12:36 AM »
Enjoy @Puzzler.  Bit of a trip, hopefully no too far down, but there would have been carriage to pay for otherwise. 

Kenora

« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2022, 11:14:45 AM »
It was a delight to meet you @Puzzler:) I hope you will enjoy the machine as much as I did.
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Celia

« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2022, 11:19:29 AM »
Oooo that is nice when a machine goes form one TSP home to another  :loveit:

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2022, 11:24:50 AM »
Ah, it is quite a trek then, knowing where @Kenora is.   :)  Near our family. 

Elnnina

« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2022, 11:50:46 AM »
Lovely purchase Puzzler and I do hope you will be pleased with this machine.

Now if you go looking on the internet you will find something called Mastery Booklets these are for the Bernina machines, so go looking specifically for your model and you can then download these and then work steadily through them at your own pace.  You might find that there is one for the actual machine and another one for the embroidery part, i.e. you can stitch out some samples and then attach to the relevant page in your mastery booklet so you then have a permanent notebook on how you did everything - there is even space for you to ad your own comments. 

Whilst my machine is not the same as yours I have put my pages into the plastic sleeves to save wear and tear, and then into a ring binder - at the time WHSmith's were doing a special offer on these ring binders, and the binders themselves came in different colours.

Now go and have fun with your lovely new machine

twopence

« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2022, 13:00:21 PM »
I’m afraid Bernina started to publish the workbooks after your machine was released so they do not include your model.

Did you do the class in London? If you don’t have the notes from that class I could send you a copy which may help?

Kind regards,

Hannah Blackbourne
(In the office on a Monday, Wednesday and Thursday)

This is the reply to my query in November last year regarding a workbook for the original 570QE from Hannah at Bernina. She is incorrect to say that workbooks we’re not done for previous machines as I had one for my 2500dct overlocker which was much older.  @Puzzler  if you have this one with the original size bobbing I think I’ve seen it described as the Classic 570QE and it is close to the 475 (?). Although I now have a 770QE (like @Kenora ?) I have decided to keep my 570QE to use in classes as it is a lovely machine. I just need a suitable wheeled case for it now as the Bernina ones are prohibitively expensive. Enjoy your new machine.  :)

Elnnina

« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2022, 13:24:33 PM »
I actually looked on the internet this morning for the Mastery Booklets and I did see that the 570 was listed, so don't give up hope.  The ones I have came from a different site, but the ones I saw this morning I believe were on the Bernina USA site.

Kenora

« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2022, 13:58:10 PM »
@Elnnina - the workbooks I have are applicable to all Berninas so I must have a different version again.  -< I've had them for a few years though so perhaps they've changed as new machines have been issued.

@twopence - I bought the 720QE because I wanted to keep the 5.5mm width foot. I prefer it for precision work. I had to order the machine direct from Switzerland as Bernina only make it to special order nowadays. It has most of the features of the 770 but not the dual feed. I've been so happy with it though.  :)

realale

« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2022, 14:30:50 PM »
Nothing to contribute on the machine side but just to say the answer to your thread question seems to be - Cornwall!!  :laughing:  :laughing:
So many beers, so little time.

Puzzler

« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2022, 14:54:55 PM »
I was just looking at the Bernina site @realale and at the bottom of the page it says ‘Where do you want to go from here?’ I’ve already been to Cornwall so who knows where next.  :D

Thank you very much @Elnnina and @twopence for letting me know about the Mastery workbooks. I found one for sewing and it covers a whole range of machines. When it lists 570QE I am not sure if it means the newer one or the old style/classic one that I have. Are there booklets for each individual machine somewhere?

It was so nice to meet another TSPer and put a face to a screen name.

I bought a new surge protector extension lead so the machine has now been fired up, as Imi would say.

Gernella

« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2022, 15:11:21 PM »
Lovely @Puzzler the chair's not bad either.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Elnnina

« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2022, 16:06:50 PM »
Puzzler and Kenora I originally downloaded my Mastery Booklets from byrnesewing.com, and at the time I was able to get one for my Bernina 200 both for the sewing part of this and also the embroidery side of this, and for my Bernina overlockers 1100DA and also another one which covered the big 2500CET which is an overlocker and coversticher.      I was also able to download yet another Mastery booklet and this was for using the Bernina software for the embroidery module - I happen to have the earlier version of software.  All these were free to download, I just had to provide the paper and ink.  It was Morgan on TSP who originally suggested these wonderful Mastery booklets.  So at the time I downloaded these I bought several of the Ring Binders from WHSmith and as they had a special offer on (a good few years ago now) I took full advantage of this.

Kenora

« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2022, 17:31:38 PM »
@Puzzler - thanks for the photo. What a co-incidence - we have exactly the same chair! Except yours doesn't have scratch marks all down the back where a certain kitty sharpened her claws. :devil:

@Gernella - it's a lovely, comfortable chair but prone to feline attention as mentioned above! I think she was trying to prove ownership of the room when she first arrived.

twopence

« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2022, 19:43:18 PM »
@Puzzler  the 570QE referred to in the current workbooks available to download from Bernina is the newer version with the wider harp and larger bobbin. It is distinguishable by the fact that it has a stainless steel arm whereas the original one has powder coated metal like the rest of the machine body.  The instructions referring to 570QE will be slightly wrong for your machine due to the differences and I think that looking at instructions for the 475 will be closer to the 570 classic which we have.

Are you signed up to the Bernina newsletter?  You should be able to sign up on the Bernina website.  They’re coming rather patchily at the moment but have free patterns and other info such as a for discounted from your dealer for a month.