The Sewing Place

Greedo star wars costume

Cate

Greedo star wars costume
« on: May 29, 2022, 14:00:25 PM »
I’ve been asked to make a greedo costume from star wars and been given specific instructions.  I’m happy to take this on and self draft the costume but the fabric required is posing difficult for me, see below

OPTIONAL Level two certification (if applicable):
The flight suit base color is similar to PMS 2183 C.
The racing stripe’s color is similar to PMS 7499 C.
Suit is made of a shiny cotton/polyester fabric.
A double seam runs the length of the Racing Stripes on each side to match visual references.

My question is how can i get the right colour match and does cotton/polyester come with a shiny surface?

Any help would be most welcome, thanks

BrendaP

Re: Greedo star wars costume
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2022, 16:24:20 PM »
If the colours are that critical you need to get a printed Pantone colour chart and then go shopping,  in a bricks and mortar store rather than online.
https://www.pantone-colours.com/

Poly cotton won't be shiny unless it's coated with some sort of plastic.  A polyester satin, if you can find it in the right colour! will be shiny.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Cate

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2022, 16:47:31 PM »
Ah, ok I’ll see if i can get a chart, do you think paint shops would have them to take away.  Maybe read the fabric wrong, thought it meant a poly cotton but probably meant a polyester or a cotton.  Thanks for your reply

StitchinTime

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2022, 16:58:45 PM »
Would a chintz or glazed cotton be suitable? This would have a sheen, however, they tend to be used for home decoration and so the finish might not withstand repeated washing.

Lachica

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2022, 18:47:16 PM »
Interesting! I think satin might be too shiny, also too floppy and I'm not sure would stand up to frequent washing. I think it would work for the side stripes though. I'd make them as a series of tubes with a small amount of stuffing in each tube. A firm cotton on the back would hold everything firm & prevent strain on the satin. I've seen iron-on plastic which might work to give shine, though would be sweaty I think. I wouldn't use chintz, it would lose its shine quickly with laundering & would need pressing. I think you need polyester, perhaps athletic fabric. Whether you can get the correct colour though....
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2022, 12:06:34 PM »
Is this close enough in colour?
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Cate

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2022, 15:14:00 PM »
Hi BrendaP here is a picture that was sent to me with the request, it looks turquoisy but you can never tell on the screen, which is probably why he sent the code numbers for the colour. 

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2022, 15:27:20 PM »
@Cate Is this any good?
fabric
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Cate

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2022, 17:29:07 PM »
I think it is a good match but i should probably get some samples sent out to be sure.  I have a good shop in town but it just depends when you go in if they have what you’re looking for.