The Sewing Place

"One pattern, two looks" Contest - 1 June 2022 to 31 July 2022) photos by 6 Aug

Diane

@SewRuthieSews That denim jacket looks amazing, very striking and you've got the different colours so well balanced  :perfect10: I could see that in a shop window with a large price tag on it
« Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 16:39:26 PM by Diane »
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Lachica

They both look great. I like the way your patchwork one has different length patches but all the same width, and placement with darker colours at the sides. Great pockets too!
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Ouryve

Now those two looks couldn't be more different! The patchwork denim works very well.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Ohsewsimple

Now, I don’t like patchwork. But I really like that jacket! 

BrendaP

I've managed to catch the photographer before his trip to the dentist and so here's my entry.

I was wanting a couple of white tee shirts so turned to KwikSew 3766 which I have made lots of times.  In its basic form it’s very quick and easy to make as it relies on the stretch of the fabric for the shaping, but it’s a bit boring in a plain fabric.  Past makings of it included diagonal seams to make use of small remnants of fabric.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

For the white versions I took inspiration from RTW garments on the Roman Originals website.  The lightweight cotton jersey came from Tia Knight and the lace fabrics from Minerva Crafts.

The first one has lace yokes at back and front.  I marked the seam line on the pattern, traced the yokes and added the seam allowances.  For the main part I just folded the yoke back, making sure to include the seam allowance.  When cutting out I took care to get the lace design properly centred.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

BrendaP

The second version has Broderie Anglaise puff sleeves.  I traced the original short sleeve pattern, lengthened it a little and then slashed it to make it much wider to facilitate the gathering at the head.  I used a scrap of fine cotton lawn to make a channel for the elastic.

I was left with almost enough jersey fabric to make a third version; the remnant was L shaped, plenty long enough for the front but very tight on the length for the back which had to have a CB seam whatever I decided to do.  Another version with lace yokes would have been easiest, but I had other ideas and wanted to do the scooped bib front.  In the end the compromise was to shift the shoulder seam back an inch; making the front longer and the back shorter.  It’s also had about half an inch taken off the length.

The lace fabric was unusual in that although it’s very stretchy, the stretch is down the length so pattern pieces had to be cut across the width, but that allowed me to use the scalloped edges for the unhemmed bottoms of the sleeves, which were cut using the part of the long sleeve pattern piece.

Oops, I've just seen that the hem of the sleeve in the second version is flipped up - I blame the photographer for not noticing it!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 11:12:45 AM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.

SewRuthieSews

Great t shirts versions @BrendaP which is your favourite?

toileandtrouble

Love the lace inserts.  Strangely I saw a dress like that yesterday, in a display window, and made a note of it. Obviously you are in fashion @BrendaP
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Ohsewsimple

Some great ideas @BrendaP

I totally understand about the photographer.  I always seem to be standing lopsided  :)

Ouryve

I do like your pretty sleeve, there, @BrendaP and sympathise with the photographer situation. Mine looms over me, emphasising my top heaviness and little legs.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

BrendaP

Thank you for the nice comments, I think I like the first one.  Wearing it now ready to go to Pilates.

realale

Those are useful tops and you've made them interesting with the lace inserts. Well done!!  :thumb:
So many beers, so little time.

Lachica

They're both lovely.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

realale

I've made two views from New Look 6394. The first one was view D but with different sleeves. The second was view E but with view D sleeves. Both are easy to wear but I had issues with the sleeves on the second one. Both are made in stash fabrics of unknown composition and origin but they feel lovely and have a nice weight.
As mentioned in my diary it will not be my go to pattern but it's an easy make and I like the collar and backs - the front I have some dart issues with and we wont begin to mention the sleeves!!   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

realale

Darn, that posted without the pics  :headbang:
Try again!!