The Sewing Place

"One pattern, two looks" Contest - 1 June 2022 to 31 July 2022) photos by 6 Aug

SewRuthieSews

b15erk

Two lovely blouses @realale  <3  Love those colours  <3

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Lachica

They're both great @realale
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

BrendaP

They both look good and I do like the row of embroidery along the seam of the back yoke.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

So Chic

@BrendaP & @realale   your tops all look great.  If I re-use a pattern I don’t usually make too much of an alteration perhaps the length but nothing major.

I’m the other way one lot of fabric and two patterns so don’t qualify for the competition.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

b15erk

OK, here we go, my two entries. Both are made from Style pattern 3007 from 1980.  It's a lovely pattern, but I do wish the skirt part was more interesting - it has the hanger appeal of a work apron... :rolleyes:

The first was made from a piece of fabric I've had for about five years, bought from a charity shop, so cost very little.  I altered the sleeves to make it a bit more interesting, and I like it very much. I wore it for a pub meal last week, and it was admired, so, that'll do.

The second was a remnant piece of cotton lawn, in the stash since Adam was a lad, with a most peculiar pattern, but lovely to work with.  Not enough for full sleeves though, so I made then as per the pattern, but a bit shorter.  I did have some trouble with the pattern match at the front, and had to do a major reconstruction to make it wearable.  I think I have pulled the elastic a bit tight at the back, but if it's a problem, I can change it.

Anyway, this is my entry

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ouryve

They are both lovely. The first looks quite modern for such an old pattern and the blue flowers of the other are a vibrant shade.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Ouryve

Yve's entry.

The pattern I chose is the Sew House Seven Remy Raglan top. I had been contemplating it for a while but couldn't justify the price for such a simple pattern, even though it would get lots of use, so I was rather pleased when it was included with Simply Sewing magazine.

I originally toiled a 12, based on my measurements, but there was too much fabric at the back, even for a loose fitting top and it rode up too much at the front, so went for a 10 with a small fba. It fits me much better than my dress form, which needs to go on a diet and stand up straighter, but for want of a decent photographer, she will have to do.

The first is a short sleeved version in navy lightweight linen. This one has the button neckline variation, French seams throughout, all top stitched down to make the most of the texture of the linen.

The second one is much floatier, in a teal tencel lawn. The pattern is already quite busy and the fabric has a strong tendency to move, even with careful handling, so I went for the plain neckline and no topstitching. I don't often wear gathered sleeves but I thought that the gathered sleeve expansion, free on the SH7 website (and, I think, included in the new version of the pattern) would make good use of the drapey fabric. I was glad I had plenty of extra fabric, though, as I had to completely re-cut one sleeve that was badly distorted after knocking the fabric out of place and not doing a very good job of correcting it, while pinning the pattern piece.

I ended up with time to make the third variation of this pattern, with some cotton/hemp Jersey, without lycra, that I had recently picked up. I kept the bust dart, as it is fairly low stretch, and stitched then overlocked the seams. The neckline has the same finish, only rather than using a bias strip, I cut one across the width of the fabric for maximum stretch. This one has the 3/4 sleeves, though I had to shorten them by 2" as I have short arms and won't be rolling them up.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 21:00:28 PM by Ouryve »
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Kwaaked

Mine isn't for an adult, but the rest of your look good!

mudcat

That is so great @Ouryve that you were able to make three distinct styles from the same pattern.

realale

Those look lovely @Ouryve. I particularly like the blue linen one with the button.  :perfect10:
So many beers, so little time.

b15erk

I love all three of these @Ouryve .  Three completely different tops, which are all beautiful.  <3

Jessie

Puzzler

Really nice. It makes buying these patterns so worthwhile when you get this much mileage out of them.

SewRuthieSews

Any more entries. Photos by 6th August please!

Ouryve

Did this one fizzle out?