The Sewing Place

"One pattern, two looks" Contest - 1 June 2022 to 31 July 2022) photos by 6 Aug

SewRuthieSews

"One pattern, two looks" Contest

Rules:
1. Sew 2 garments from the same sewing pattern, but where the second garment is distinctly different to the first.

2. The first garment may have been previously made, but should fit you now, and a photo of you modelling it is preferred.

3. The garments should be made for an adult, either yourself or someone else, but both garments are for the same person.

4. It is fine to use variations supplied as different views on the pattern envelope, simple changes like shortening trousers to shorts, as well as drafting changes (darts to gathers, flaring pieces etc)

5. One of the pictures should be of the pattern used.

Timeframe: Construction starts on 1st June and the item must be completed by 31st July 2022.
All entries need to be uploaded with the template and at least one photo by 6th August.

Template: Please submit your entries in this thread using this template

Details to include:
Your User Name and Entry Number (if entering more than once)
What it is with a short description on how you made it, any problems overcome etc.
Up to 4 photos - One of the pictures should be of the pattern used.

There will be a poll for Forum members to vote for their favourite(s).
(Number of votes will be proportional to the number of entries. If there are only 1 or 2 entries I won't run the poll.)

The winner can choose from The Sewing Places's
Prize Winners Enamel badge or Sew on Embroidered Patch.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 17:47:40 PM by SewRuthieSews »

Ouryve

Glad this is going ahead - I can use my Remy raglan. I'm doing a straight up linen one and a tencel lawn one, using some of the pattern hacks on sew house 7's blog and website.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

SewRuthieSews

Excellent @Ouryve

As usual I will try to sew along even though I can't go into the voting
I think I will try variations of my old favourite New Look 6216. Summer long shorts and cuffed joggers.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 19:33:02 PM by SewRuthieSews »

Ouryve

That looks like a very versatile pattern @SewRuthieSews
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

WildAtlanticWay

I’ve got this pattern too. It’s for knit fabrics and I didn’t notice that the first time I used it. Oops!

Ploshkin

@SewRuthieSews I don't see why you can't enter the competitions that you have instigated.  We all know that you wouldn't fiddle the voting to make sure you win each time ( unless you have a black market in tsp badges)  :)
Life's too short for ironing.

SewRuthieSews

@WildAtlanticWay the top needs to be in a knit, but the trousers are for a woven. I made my first pair in linen.

Flobear

@SewRuthieSews I don't see why you can't enter the competitions that you have instigated.  We all know that you wouldn't fiddle the voting to make sure you win each time ( unless you have a black market in tsp badges)  :)

I am also supposed to be a contest organiser but SRS is much more efficient at getting things started in good time. Perhaps I could take over the bossing supervisory rôle for this one now she's done all the hard work of launching it  ;)
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

b15erk

I think I might like to have a go at this.  I have a Burda Jacket pattern ready to go, but no fabric decided yet...  I'm sure two jackets would be useful, especially with the weater so changeable.

I will ponder the fabric over the weekend.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

SewRuthieSews

How are things going with the One pattern, two looks? I've had ideas but nor executed anything as yet.

Ouryve

One down, one to go. Working on something else for a bit, though, before schools break up.

b15erk

@SewRuthieSews , can I change my mind?  I've done a shirtdress, and I'd like to do the same one again, but slightly different...

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

SewRuthieSews

@b15erk sure Jessie, whatever inspiration strikes you :-)

realale

One down, one to go. The second one is cut out but heat in the sewing loft has got the better of me. Hopefully it will be finished......  :P
So many beers, so little time.

SewRuthieSews

One pattern, two looks
For this challenge I've used the cardigan jacket from New Look 6082.

My first version was made from a knit. As it has no closures I added a purchased belt. I made this in 2017 but its still in my wardrobe and still fits, though I tend to wear it open without the belt.

The second version started when I was gifted some denim rectangles by Diane, and used some of them with some dark denim offcuts of my own to sew an unlined Patchwork Denim jacket. All the denim was stretch denim, though the percentage stretch varied a bit.

I made 8 sections of patchwork slightly larger than the corresponding pattern piece, sewing long columns of the denim rectangles first, and then overlocking those seams. Once the columns were complete I then sewed them together to create the patchwork piece, and overlocked those seams. Once each panel was completed I pressed it, before cutting out the garment piece. Remember to flip the pattern piece over to get a left and right!

I widened the centre front panel so the bands would overlap rather than being edge to edge. I interfaced the front section of the neckband so it would support buttonholes and buttons.

I also added patch pockets with a flap and button.