The Sewing Place

Metric Cutting for Menswear by Winifred Aldrich

SewCanDad

Metric Cutting for Menswear by Winifred Aldrich
« on: April 14, 2022, 14:47:02 PM »
I probably should of posted this before ordering  :laugh: Just wondering if anyone has the book and what they think of it. Or maybe, any other good books recommended about pattern work.

HenriettaMaria

Re: Metric Cutting for Menswear by Winifred Aldrich
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2022, 14:54:29 PM »
Got it, have used it several times, like it.  It's very clear and readable.

SewCanDad

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2022, 18:47:04 PM »
Good to hear, thank you  :thumb:

realale

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2022, 19:13:38 PM »
I have it as well but haven't used it in a looong time. Used it as part of my pattern cutting course. Was good when I used it.
So many beers, so little time.

SewCanDad

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2022, 21:17:35 PM »
I have it as well but haven't used it in a looong time. Used it as part of my pattern cutting course. Was good when I used it.
Looks like I made a good choice then, that'll amaze and please the wife at the same time  0_0

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2022, 21:52:16 PM »
I have it too.  Don’t use it a lot.  But it’s a fairly basic pattern drafting book and relatively easy to understand. 

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2022, 12:58:44 PM »
One word of warning: if you're trained in engineering, technical drawing and the like, or if you have the facility to learn new skills from a book, you'll be fine.  If, like me, your learning style is more monkey-see, monkey-do, then you might struggle.  I needed two terms of evening class in pattern drafting to get my head around it sufficiently to follow the book I originally used, Natalie Bray's Dress Pattern Designing, which is from the 1950's and is properly techical.

In either event, if you are drafting for yourself you will need a 'fit buddy', someone who can tweak the fit with you because you can't easily see your own back view and twisting to try to see in a mirror moves everything around.

SewCanDad

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2022, 16:10:07 PM »
 :birthday:
I have it too.  Don’t use it a lot.  But it’s a fairly basic pattern drafting book and relatively easy to understand.

Just received the book and at first glance, agreed ... looks easy to understand and basic is good with me  :thumb: Much thanks

SewCanDad

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2022, 16:17:30 PM »
One word of warning: if you're trained in engineering, technical drawing and the like, or if you have the facility to learn new skills from a book, you'll be fine.  If, like me, your learning style is more monkey-see, monkey-do, then you might struggle.  I needed two terms of evening class in pattern drafting to get my head around it sufficiently to follow the book I originally used, Natalie Bray's Dress Pattern Designing, which is from the 1950's and is properly techical.

In either event, if you are drafting for yourself you will need a 'fit buddy', someone who can tweak the fit with you because you can't easily see your own back view and twisting to try to see in a mirror moves everything around.

Thankfully, yes I'm lucky enough to understand such things through work life which feels a long time ago now  :laughing:
I also thought of the fitting side, so I had ordered a cheap (not cheap to me) a male tailors form at the same time. Thought the ability of being able to drape at the same time would help the learning curve (let's see how that works out?).
As for book which I have in front of me now, I have no regrets at all. The kid is amazed I spent money on a book  :laughing:

toileandtrouble

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2022, 16:22:54 PM »
I find her books very easy to follow.  I used the Menswear one to make some casual trousers for DH and they fit really well.  Must take some new measurements and make new ones.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

SewCanDad

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2022, 01:32:34 AM »
I find her books very easy to follow.  I used the Menswear one to make some casual trousers for DH and they fit really well.  Must take some new measurements and make new ones.

Agreed, been a good read so far. Plan to put it into use real soon. Will report back  :) I better take my measurements too, would help before hand ... didn't think  :rolleyes: