The Sewing Place

Knitting for babies - decisions, decisions

Pearl

Knitting for babies - decisions, decisions
« on: May 31, 2022, 12:03:12 PM »
Two of my colleagues are going to have babies in the summer.  I’d love to knit. Them each something but can’t decide what.

Cardigan/jacket
Advantage -quick to knit
Disadvantage - neither of them know what they’re having so it would need to be neutral.  It would need sewing up and I hate sewing up.

Or a blanket, which would take longer but wouldn’t need sewing up.

I’d be grateful if you have any pattern suggestions.

TIA

Bumblebuncher

Re: Knitting for babies - decisions, decisions
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2022, 13:05:20 PM »
DD2 made it her mission in life to knit blankets for DD1 when she was pregnant!  As far as I am aware the only other thing she ever knitted in her life was a scarf  :laughing:
DD1 was overjoyed at the blankets (maybe  more so at the 2nd as she didn't expect her sister to devote so much time to another one!) even if they were amateurish and did might have had a lost stitch or two.
In other words, it probably doesn't matter which you make as they will be delighted at the thought behind it, so do whatever you fancy doing the most.   :D
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2022, 13:14:10 PM »
There are patterns for cardigans with no seams - the one I've just made was the Juliette from Ravelry, although it has hearts on it, so isn't really neutral, and also starts from age 6mths.  If you are a ravelry member and search for seamless cardigans you should find some.

But blankets are always nice and cuddly.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ellabella

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2022, 13:21:12 PM »
Cardigans knitted in one piece are an easy, quick knit, as Acorn says there are lots of patterns on Ravelry.

Blankets take longer but last longer in my opinion, my GD still uses ones made for her as a baby as wraps for her teddies. I have also seen one in my 6 year old GS bedroom so he uses it for something.

Pearl

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2022, 15:02:54 PM »
Thanks for your advice, all.  Blankets, it is.

Chevron blanket like this:-

and Looks Like Plaid blanket:-

Not sure on colours yet, but will be knitting them in tandem.

Lowena

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2022, 19:25:56 PM »
I  endorse blankets especially after seeing the patterns  :thumb:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Cazlyn

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2022, 19:27:55 PM »
I vote for blankets too, always useful.
Crafting is my happy place

Tamnymore

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2022, 20:40:45 PM »
Those blanket patterns are fabulous. I must admit I love hand knitted cardigans you never get too old for a cardigan! Not being a knitter I have to buy mine but I still have a couple to give to the grandsons.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Ouryve

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2022, 23:04:52 PM »
Those blankets are lovely but I remember knitting an Elizabeth Zimmerman knock off cardigan, then realising it had more stitches than a chunky sweater I was knitting for myself! It's not in the round but it's knitted in one big piece so fewer seams to deal with.

https://ravel.me/ouryve/b2jigsifapiria
Turns out it's a drops design pattern so completely free.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Sheilago

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2022, 23:37:00 PM »
I’ve done both cardigans and blankets. I usually knit neutral 0-3 month cardigans with matching colour little hats as gifts. When the babies are tiny the mums seem to like the cardigans for putting on over babygros. I’ve used this top down pattern often and as it’s seamless it’s nice and comfy.

http://carole.barenys.com/YokeSweater.html

I usually crochet rather than knit blankets. I really like waffle pattern ones for winter babies as they’re so cosy. Those knitted blankets look lovely @Pearl . I’m sure the recipients will love them.

Pearl

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2022, 08:13:55 AM »
Thanks, @Sheilago .  That pattern looks lovely.  I’ll print it out for my mum.  She’ll love that.

I can’t crochet and had given up any idea of learning in this lifetime, but I really like Attic 24’s Yuletide blanket so I may give crochet another go.

Sheilago

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2022, 08:35:55 AM »
@Pearl , I couldn’t crochet either until about 6 years ago. I learned by watching YouTube videos. I’d always been put off by memories of trying to crochet granny squares when I was much younger, but actually I think they’re not the easiest thing to start with.
 I would suggest finding a video for a simple blanket that starts with a long row of chains. You could do a trial one with maybe just 20 chains and practise single and double crochet and how to start each row. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-MJLrVnYrg

One of the strangest things , for a knitter, is getting used to the yarn being held in your left hand. Once you get used to that, you would soon pick it up. At first I only did patterns that had an accompanying video: that helped me to understand written patterns. Now I can mostly just follow the pattern, but I still go back to YouTube if I’m not sure how to do a particular stitch.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 08:41:12 AM by Sheilago »

Lowena

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2022, 09:45:09 AM »
I've tried to crochet for years. My dil tried to teach me as well. Hopeless! :(
Triumph of hope over experience :D

b15erk

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2022, 10:59:10 AM »
I love both of those blankets - particularly the chevron one!

This was a nice easy knit: https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/holding-hands-baby-blanket  , and my go to favourite the corner to corner Spring into Summer, another free crochet pattern.

My fingers are itching now...  ;)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Pearl

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2022, 21:07:05 PM »
Have done this much:-

Decided it’s not wide enough.  Back I go.