The Sewing Place

Gold cotton lawn A line skirt

Silver Rose

Gold cotton lawn A line skirt
« on: May 31, 2022, 12:39:14 PM »
Cut out this easy make this morning, the lawn is really fine and silk like, using New Look 6053.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

b15erk

Re: Gold cotton lawn A line skirt
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2022, 12:47:54 PM »
Your fabric is beautiful @Silver Rose   <3

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2022, 12:58:15 PM »
Ooh I like that!  Will that have to be lined if it’s very fine? :thinking:

Silver Rose

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2022, 13:52:39 PM »
@Ohsewsimple it is not see through but I think it would be nicer with a quality lining, I'll have a look for something suitable. I was thinking of making a plain top to go with it in cream silk charmeuse so i could  line it with that.
Still learning

realale

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2022, 16:04:55 PM »
That is a pretty fabric @Silver Rose. Lovely.  :thumb:
So many beers, so little time.

Diane

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2022, 16:15:10 PM »
That is lovely fabric @Silver Rose , can't wait to see the finished skirt.
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Silver Rose

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2022, 17:12:31 PM »
I meant crepe de chine for a top to go with this, charmeuse would be too shiny. I've been looking for the right colour  but not seen anything I like yet.
Still learning

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2022, 10:28:30 AM »
Ooh, that's lovely fabric.  There are so many colour options that will go with it.

I agree a lightweight fabric will look much better if it's lined.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2022, 11:36:55 AM »
I’d probably look for something in a silvery blue/grey or a lilac/grey to wear with that beautiful fabric, but I guess it depends on your colour type.

I agree a lightweight fabric will look much better if it's lined.

I know that usually a lining is made separately, added in at the waistband and bagged out at the hem, but would it work ok to sew the lining along with the main fabric to help give bulk to the seam when you’re sewing something like a soft delicate fine fabric? I haven't sewn any linings into my clothes so far, so it was just a thought.

Silver Rose

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2022, 12:06:16 PM »
I've got some Sienna crepe in cream on order for a top, never sewn with it before so I hope it will work OK.
Still learning

Silver Rose

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2022, 17:26:16 PM »
Minerva have dispatched my order for the Sienna crepe but with 2 bank Holidays and the weekend the parcel won't be here until next week, plenty of time to sort out the pattern for the top.
Still learning

Silver Rose

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2022, 16:24:55 PM »
Beige habotai on order to line the skirt.
Still learning

Cazlyn

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2022, 07:46:09 AM »
Beautiful fabric.
Crafting is my happy place

sewmuchmore

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2022, 17:51:52 PM »

[/quote] I know that usually a lining is made separately, added in at the waistband and bagged out at the hem, but would it work ok to sew the lining along with the main fabric to help give bulk to the seam when you’re sewing something like a soft delicate fine fabric? I haven't sewn any linings into my clothes so far, so it was just a thought.
[/quote]
@WildAtlanticWay yes you can use the method you mention, it is called underling, where you sew both the main fabric and an underling fabric as if it were one fabric. I use a fine plain cotton lawn from here. depending on your outer fabric you may need to add a lining as well. Article in Threads in a good read here
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Silver Rose

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2022, 18:04:45 PM »
The lining came in the post quite late this afternoon and is just the right shade, I'll be using the usual method of lining. I have never tried underlining.
Still learning