The Sewing Place

Fabric lengths

Bumblebuncher

Fabric lengths
« on: June 01, 2022, 08:52:34 AM »

Looked in the bag at the fabric for the bridesmaids dress and it is a beautiful satin backed crepe.  It was bought and ordered by the bride but it has been cut and sent in one metre lengths all individually packaged :thinking:

Why would it be sent like that?  Usually, even if you are buying off ebay etc it will come in one length. 

It won't affect the making of the dress as there is plenty of fabric but I have never seen this before, have any of you?
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Sandra

Re: Fabric lengths
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2022, 09:18:11 AM »
 :scream: That's unusual isn't it?
You're lucky you're still able to use it. A lot of people wouldn't.

Sandra.
xxx

Pearl

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2022, 09:34:11 AM »
They’ll be getting a lot of complaints.

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2022, 09:39:37 AM »
It might be useable for small bridesmaids' dreses but for most bigger girls or adult drresses it would be unusable.  I think she should complain!   :scream:
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2022, 10:28:55 AM »
I wouldn’t have accepted that.  Someone used to selling patchwork stuff?

Ouryve

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2022, 10:31:18 AM »
Even if it’s usable,there will still be so much more waste than with a continuous length.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2022, 11:40:01 AM »
I’ve seen that on Amazon when I wanted to buy some spotty cotton fabric. I wanted 3 metres but they would only sell it in 1 metre lengths so I didn’t bother!

So Chic

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2022, 12:49:24 PM »
I would complain and ask for a replacement cut in one length or a refund.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2022, 15:10:55 PM »
Well  I am glad it isn't just me!
I actually needed 3 metres, told her 3.5 (to make sure) and she ordered 4, which has turned out to be more than 4 now I have looked at it, so I have plenty for the job!  The fact that these one metre lengths are actually more than one metre is even more confusing.  I am going to measure and see how much there actually is tomorrow! As the fabric is just for the dress and there is plenty for that I am not going to get her to send it back, although I have never come across it before so I will now be doubly checking if ordering from anywhere different to normal!
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Surest1tch

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2022, 15:24:06 PM »
Unless it was specifically stated supplied in 1mt lengths I too would have refused it. Have you any idea where she ordered from so we can avoid it if we want more than 1m lengths?

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2022, 16:25:28 PM »
@Surest1tch I think it was Amazon but I really don't know.  I will ask her at some point in a 'nice fabric where did you get it' kind of way so she doesn't get worried it is the wrong stuff.  The irritation is it is really nice fabric! I don't know how much she paid for it either, which now worries me she paid over the odds for it  :[

Acorn

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2022, 16:45:42 PM »
It would make some sense if it was Amazon - if the seller has provided the fabric to Amazon the pieces will have to have been ready cut.  An odd thing to do, but at least there is some reasoning behind it!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2022, 11:09:20 AM »
After measuring I can confirm there is over 4 1/2 metres  :thinking: So they are doing themselves out by a lot selling in metre lengths!
Plenty for what I need it for and I am sure lots of left over bits that I may be able to use for something.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2022, 12:36:28 PM »
Yes @Bumblebuncher I expect they cut just over and so seems daft to me!   
I used to get asked for separate lengths.  Nooo don’t catch me like that! :)