The Sewing Place

the etiquette of buying a sewing machine

annierose

the etiquette of buying a sewing machine
« on: June 01, 2022, 14:58:42 PM »
Hello, usually a lurker, and really I have made my bed and have to lie in it, but am feeling rather cheesed off! I had an inheritance and decided to get my 'final machine'. Looked online, read stuff here, and had a lot of info in my head.

The technician I usually go to for repairs said that if I decided on a machine he would get it in for me, so I could buy from him. But I wanted to try it out - one reason for 'moving on' is my arthritic hands - I didn't want to spend a lot of money without trying some machines.
The nearest shop with a reasonable range is 90 minutes drive away. I went there, and they put in a great deal of effort to help me choose a machine. I was there about 3 hours, lots of input and help. I decided on a Janome atelier 7, and they arranged delivery from Janome.
The needle threader isn't working. It is of course, under warranty.
My usual technician will not mend it because I didn't buy from him - he understood why I gave my custom to the shop that gave me so much time - but nonetheless refused. Janome suggested another nearby technician, he too refused.
So I am faced with:
a half-day round trip, at least (possibly 2)
Janome collection & repair, in which case I'll be without the machine for some days (my suggestion that they send me a new one and collect the 12 day old one is apparently not do-able)

I would have been better to have allowed the shop to spend all that time on me, wave goodbye and buy from my nearby technician. I also can't help feeling that if this machine isn't 'fit for purpose' and it was sent directly from Janome, that they should simply swap it.

As they say on other forums Am I Being Unreasonable?

Adey1981

Re: the etiquette of buying a sewing machine
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2022, 15:12:57 PM »
I dont think you are being unreasonable at all. I take it you offered to pay the technician to fix it? If so then, that's really weird that he'd turn down work, although I've experience the same thing with an amp tech before.
I think if it was me, I'd just let Janome sort it out and be without the machine for a few days. As much as a pain that might be for you. I mean,  you shouldn't have to pay anything to anyone really, you bought a new machine, it should work.

realale

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2022, 15:17:15 PM »
Are they refusing to repair it because that would negate the warranty from Janome? Not sure if that is correct but it is a thought I had.
So many beers, so little time.

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2022, 15:26:17 PM »
Has the needle threader ever worked?  If not I think they are obliged to replace the machine with a new one because they have sold you something that is not what was offered - they have broken their contract with you.

If they won't do this they should offer you a refund (which you would naturally go and spend elsewhere).
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Sheilago

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2022, 15:33:47 PM »
A new machine should be in perfect working condition. You have 30 days to return it and would be entitled to a refund. You can choose whether to take another one from the same shop. You could just take your refund and go elsewhere if you want.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/what-do-i-do-if-i-have-a-faulty-product-aTTEK2g0YuEy

This link explains it. The retailer is responsible and should be following consumer law. They might argue that the needle threader is a minor issue, but nonetheless the law says that a new machine should be perfect. If they don’t budge contact Citizens Advice or Trading Standards.

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2022, 16:16:10 PM »
Great choice of machine @annierose  and a pity the needle threader is faulty. The shop you bought it from are obliged under law to offer you a replacement machine or a full refund.

If it was me I would insist on petrol costs too unless courier costs at the shops expense are offered (Dont worry, machines have super packaging these days ... and of course you must keep all the packaging that comes with any machine in case of circs like these or selling on ... not that you will be with this beauty)

Be the squeaky wheel and get the grease.

If they refuse point blank go directly to Janome ... They are lovely people and should sort you out one way or t'other, maybe leaning on the dealer to replace the machine, offer a refund or taking the Janome franchise away from them .

@PBear had trouble with a Janome that developed a fault and in the end received a box of goodies from them along with a new machine (Have I got that right??)

BTW does the shop have media presence ??? If they do and refuse to help you I would complain vociferously on their Faceache page, website and on your platform Hashtagging them ... You'd be surprised how it focuses the mind!  ;)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 16:19:41 PM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Ploshkin

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2022, 17:24:57 PM »
The man I buy machines from will only service and repair ones that he has sold.  He told me that he got fed up with people bringing in ' bargains' that they had bought online and were never going to be much good , or second hand e bay stuff and expecting him to work miracles.
I think that is fair enough.
Life's too short for ironing.

annierose

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2022, 17:29:41 PM »
Thank you for your input. I want to be clear that the shop haven't refused to deal with it - their owner / manager / technician is away at the moment, so I can't talk to him. However, I am reluctant to spend this time and fuel for something that is Janome's fault (the machine was delivered directly from Janome, so the shop didn't get to check it!)
Theoretically a local technician could deal with it under Janome's warranty, but they have simply refused (as is their right).

Janome will collect the machine and mend or replace it - which indeed is the most sensible option. However, they won't replace it until they have looked at it, which leaves me without a machine for some days.

Another technical point - the needle threader worked once or twice and I thought the problem was down to me getting used to a new machine. However now it won't work at all.

I just feel that I have ended up rather caught in the middle, and was interested in others' experiences.

My current plan is to wait until the shop owner returns from his holiday and talk to him.
My back up is to take Janome up on their offer to collect the machine and either mend or replace it under warranty.

The machine is working beautifully otherwise,thank you Iminei, I am really pleased with my choice, and this just seems rather daft!

Lachica

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2022, 17:30:29 PM »
I agree, with everyone on here - dealer should arrange for Janome to send out a new one & collect the old one. You shouldn't have to drive to the shop, especially since it's so far away. I also understand why local technicians don't want to touch it.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

annierose

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2022, 18:11:20 PM »
Thank you for your advice!
I just want to be clear to Ploshkin: I would not take up someone's time and buy on-line but in order to use a local technician I was faced with this choice:
Take up the shop's time (3 hours and a lot of advice) and say 'thanks but I'm buying from my local dealer / technician' OR buy 'unseen & untried' locally.

Ploshkin

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2022, 18:52:33 PM »
I completely understand why you made your purchase where you did. @annierose The problem these days is there are so few places where we can now go to see and buy major items it is just luck if you happen to have one within a reasonable travelling distance.
My sewing machine man has been at least 90 years old for the last 25 years.  I will be completely stuffed when he gives up.
Life's too short for ironing.

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2022, 19:12:56 PM »
My Brother has a needle threader - it's a wee hook that goes through the eye of the needle and grabs the thread.  If the eye of the needle is too small, it doesn't work.  When the hook got bent, it didn't work, but with good light, a magnifying glass and a pair of tweezers I was able to fix it.  Does it just need a tweak?

Tamnymore

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2022, 19:17:42 PM »
What a pain @annierose . Hopefully Janome will sort it quickly.
There are so few places where you can try these days as @Ploshkin says. We are a few miles away from John Lewis where you can see machines but can't try them - that facility went quite a few years ago.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Ouryve

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2022, 19:20:44 PM »
I only find my threader more useful than a faff for basting thread. I would find it useful for very small needles, too, but it doesn't do them  :sorry: . Consequently, its prime role, currently, is as part of the clutter that gets in the way of my left hand when I'm stitching something awkward.

I'm lucky to have a supplier in easy travelling distance, in Sunderland. There used to be one in Hartlepool, which is easy enough by car, but that closed at the start of the pandemic. The Sunderland shop is a family business, so hopefully that will last at least as long as I do!
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

annierose

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2022, 10:35:24 AM »
Just realised that I hadn't replied to HenriettaMaria. I looked very hard, using a magnifying glass, and referring to both the book and the Janome YouTube channel. I was reluctant to 'tweak' on a new machine under warranty, but thought if it was minor it was worth a try. No, it feels as if it is all out of synch.
And thank you all again!