The Sewing Place

the etiquette of buying a sewing machine

Ohsewsimple

Re: the etiquette of buying a sewing machine
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2022, 12:27:04 PM »
@annierose I used to work for a dealer.  Its quite normal for a dealer to try and put a problem right on a brand new machine.  That is what the companies ask them to do.  This is a minor problem and fixable even if it means a new needle threader.  Before a dealer can work on a new machine he has to get the go ahead from the company to ensure they will pay for it.  So unless you are offering to pay your normal technician to repair it I understand why he won’t touch it.  He would be out of pocket.  You normally take machines back to where they were bought. 

I have to say we stopped spending hours with people who were looking at machines unless they were regulars.  We got caught out several times with people who used us for the info and then told us they were going to buy online or elsewhere.  It’s not really fair.  While spending time with someone who has no intention of buying we were losing real business. 

annierose

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2022, 12:42:14 PM »
Thanks, Janome did tell me that they would pay for a technician locally, but the 2 I contacted didn't want to get involved. And  of course, it is exactly because I wanted to be fair to the shop that I am in this situation!
However, the owner / manager / technician will be back on Monday and I can ask him for advice. I'll let you know!

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2022, 13:26:16 PM »
I hope you get it sorted @annierose.  Needle threaders are not covered under a warranty but of course it’s different if it wasn’t working when you got it!   Obviously the technicians that won’t touch it must have plenty of work!  Be interesting to hear what happens

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2022, 14:31:03 PM »
My Brother needle threader is the best one I’ve ever used and works every time except, it won’t work with the walking foot attached.

Iminei

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2022, 14:44:19 PM »
Another technical point - the needle threader worked once or twice and I thought the problem was down to me getting used to a new machine. However now it won't work at all.

Ok thats interesting ... The needle threader is attached to a bar that swings over ... This can come unattached from the swingy thing ... cant really explain any better than that ... just check that this isnt the case.

Yes  ... The more expensive machines in shops are often delivered straight from Manufacturer as shops couldnt afford that amount of capital in stock .. Is it really a problem to be without a machine for a week while Janome fix it or send you a new machine??
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

annierose

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2022, 08:18:03 AM »
It has been interesting to read this - and I am not complaining about anybody, just interested in how this works. You have all been helpful, thank you.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2022, 12:05:54 PM »
@annierose its just a shame that dealers are getting fewer and fewer.  But it’s not easy making money in retail generally.  And I know how difficult it was running a sewing shop.  People like to have a shop so they can pop in once in a blue moon to pick up a metre of elastic at 20p.  :laughing:

annierose

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2022, 13:41:51 PM »
Yes, of course I'm sympathetic. Your post made me smile as I wondered how often one would have buy a £1k machine to be deemed a 'regular'! I have, on average, bought a new machine every 20 years!
And there is a similar problem with fabric - my local shop stocks entirely for 'crafting'.

Ouryve

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2022, 14:50:53 PM »
I have that problem with fabric shops, @annierose. One small general fabric shop nearby, open very few hours, and, of course, Boyes and John Lewis, there's a costume fabric shop in town but, apart from that, 4 p&q shops of various quality nearby. It's almost 2 hours each way by bus for a shop selling a good range of decent dress fabric and patterns.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Kwaaked

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2022, 15:39:37 PM »
I do industrials and that is a huge pita.  I have to either drive it about 8 hours away for service, drop off and do it again 6 weeks later or pay for a tech to come into my shop, with a $250 on site fee (and min of $300 service fee) unless I can wait until they travel into my area twice a year (then I can get the work for hourly cost...I am on the route). 

Probably why my industrial machine has been down for 2 months.  I usually do the work on it, but it takes me a while and currently my needle bar needs adjusting.  I just haven't had time.

On regular machines...I have a business I can go to an hour away and will service all my domestics including my treadles, but I don't buy anything expensive from them: I can't get help in store to look at machines, and I don't embroidery or need a TOL regular machine and they don't sell industrials.  I can go 3 hours away and buy an industrial but they don't service them...and for the cost I can buy a new machine and get it shipped for less then they sell their used ones.

Not sure about any etiquette in it anymore...used to be you bought a machine, serviced it once a year and traded up every 5 or so and maybe buy a vacuum or bags in there, too.  Now my neck of the woods, they don't have stock, don't want to help you get the machine you want and in my experience try to convince you that you need 10K plus machines...and when you don't want to look at long arms or embroidery machines gesture to the plastic wonder machines boxed along the wall and walk off...which you can't test because the only machines you can test takes a 2 week later appointment and are the long arms/embroidery machines.  But they do a lot of mail order business, so I can get domestic machines at a fair price.

PBear

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2022, 17:03:12 PM »
Did you ever get this fixed? My threader on the Atelier 7 has never worked for me ( but @Iminei managed it once!). Am interested to hear how you got on!

Iminei

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2022, 17:37:13 PM »
Really ????

Have you changed the needle? maybe got it a lil skewif ?

Mine doesnt work but I think the lil wire thingymy has been bent, but cant (Obvs) see if it has ... but it used to work just fine ... Ive got a replacement threader but dont know how to go about fitting it.

@PBear  as yours is still in warranty I would take it back to get that sorted.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2022, 22:39:27 PM »
If the little wire is bent to one side,  as is often the case, try putting your thumb need by the side of it and gently pushing it over a bit.  A magnifying glass is useful but not always necessary. 

Iminei

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2022, 09:10:03 AM »
I understand the mechanics but theres no way I can see the lil beggar even with a magnifying glass!

I might try it one morning before I put my eyes in, that might help.

Gernella

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2022, 10:21:05 AM »
Just out of curiosity @annierose have you changed anything recently.  I had problems with my Pfaff for a bit, changed the needle and it refused to play, changed again to another needle and it worked.  I reckon in the end the needle was not far enough up the 'shoot'.  I've not  any trouble since because I've been a bit more careful switching.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included